HELP! Xonar ST+H6 and receivers question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladinm

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello guys, I need some help.

Well, I used to put a YMAHA RX-V671(with 5.1 speakers) in my living room, and a small stereo AMP for my computer(with a xonar ST, without H6) in my bedroom.
Now, here is the thing: my new roommate got a better receiver and better 7.1 sound system, thus my speakers and receiver got retired :)
I come up with an idea.

Can I purchase a xonar H6 and connect it to my YAMAHA receiver, using my receiver as an AMP, and build a 5.1 system in my bedroom?

I do know that H6 gives upto 7.1 analog signal, but I'm not sure if I need a AMP 4 H6.

My assumption is H6(as DAC)->AMP->speakers, am I right? Or xonar h6 doesn't need an AMP at all?

If my assumption is right. Can I use my old receiver as an AMP? How to?

Could some body help?

Your answer will be appreciated!

Solution
Well, you CAN connect to the amp via analog if you wish. Its an unconventional setup though. Make sure that the amp doesn't convert an incoming analog signal back to digital for additional audio processing though (a few do).

You can also use SPDIF directly from the ST, but are bound to Dolby/DTS formats, which I tend to not recommend due to their lossy nature.
Well, you CAN connect to the amp via analog if you wish. Its an unconventional setup though. Make sure that the amp doesn't convert an incoming analog signal back to digital for additional audio processing though (a few do).

You can also use SPDIF directly from the ST, but are bound to Dolby/DTS formats, which I tend to not recommend due to their lossy nature.

Solution

paladinm

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thank you. So I don't need a H6? But will it support 5.1?

paladinm

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thank you. But it seems that my YAMAHA doesn't have multi channel inputs. :(

paladinm

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

If the SPDIF is lossy, can I connect H6 direct to speakers? Well, the website say that xonar H6 is 7.1, then what is it designed for? Can H6 work without AMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.