what the horde needs (if it's not too late)

is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
Horde...
Women
Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play

Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
basically, all Alliance races.

As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.

Troll chicks are hot. Some of the undead are, too. Of course, I'm
into Suicide Girls, too, so maybe that aesthetic preference is peculiar
to me.

but if we are going to have dark elf, then we will have these
horome-driving teengers who love nothing more than to stare at the
butt of their naked female toon dancing naked on top of Ogimbarr bank
that plagued IF AH.

Bah, let Alliance keep their cute toons and immature players. I don't
want to experience lags everytime I run past Ogimarr AH.

wolfing wrote:
> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women

Women _do_ play the Horde.

> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play

What race looks 'good' on the Alliance side? The human males are so
weirdly proportioned as to not look human, and Night Elves (especially
the males) are every bit as alien looking as trolls or orcs. Dwarven
males are arguably the ugliest race in the game next to Undead. Gnomes
are hardly what I'd call "good looking pixels" either.

I think hands down the two best looking races in the game are Trolls
and Tauren - that they aren't the most aesthetically "pretty" races is
only going to be a problem with a relatively shallow minority of
people, I think.

If someone were to suggest that in Diablo 2 the reason why Necromancers
were so unpopular was because they were the ugly class I think most
people would laugh. I don't know why this "Horde needs hot babes so
people will play them" theory gets brought up. A lot of people play
Humans because in many people's minds its the "default" race. A lot of
people play Night Elves because they're elves.

It isn't so much that they're pretty races, as they are comfortable.
Most people, particularly newer players, probably find it a lot easier
to grab a Tolkienesque stereotype then it is to "play a monster".

What race looks 'good' on the Alliance side? The human males are so
weirdly proportioned as to not look human, and Night Elves (especially
the males) are every bit as alien looking as trolls or orcs. Dwarven
males are arguably the ugliest race in the game next to Undead. Gnomes
are hardly what I'd call "good looking pixels" either.

What race looks good? let's see...
Human females look really good.
Night elf females look ok
Dwarven females look ok
Gnome females look very cute

Now on the horde side
Orc females are ugly
Troll females are ugly
Tauren females are cows
Undead females are ugly unless you consider watching exposed ribs and
missing jaws sexy

Most women (with exceptions that just confirm the rule) will not want
to play ugly avatars, that's a fact.

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women
> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
> will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
> basically, all Alliance races.
>
> As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.

100% agree. My wife plays, she refuses to play Horde because the women are
ugly. I play Horde when I can, but since this is something we play for
something to do together, that leaves me little time to play the Horde. I am
amazed that no one mentioned this in beta, but I would guess less women
played in beta. It does not matter if people want to say that is silly, it
is still the way it works.

In article <xXZre.3668$on5.408@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
"Lorad" <jeff_nospam@hotmail.come> wrote:

> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> > Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> > Horde...
> > Women
> > Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
> >
> > Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
> > will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
> > basically, all Alliance races.
> >
> > As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.
> >

> 100% agree. My wife plays, she refuses to play Horde because the women are
> ugly. I play Horde when I can, but since this is something we play for
> something to do together, that leaves me little time to play the Horde. I am
> amazed that no one mentioned this in beta, but I would guess less women
> played in beta. It does not matter if people want to say that is silly, it
> is still the way it works.

LOL! This is completely true... my gf wouldn't remotely consider any of
the Horde players either, except the Undead. "They're sort of hot in a
Goth way," but then she looked just a little closer and saw the exposed
rotting flesh and sinews jutting out of the legs. NIXXED! Dwarves and
Gnomes were out for the same reason, unappealing chicks.

I'm willing to bet that 90%+ of all the female chars are playing humans
or elves. I have to wonder if Blizzard has a single woman working
anywhere in that company that could have clued them in during the design
phase...

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (32), Undead mage
Dagobert (30), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

wolfing wrote:
> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women
> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
> will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
> basically, all Alliance races.
>
> As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.

Go take a look at how Lineage II presented Orcs. They got the right idea.

Periodiciii@youeatpoopy.com wrote:
> wolfing wrote:
>> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
>> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
>> Horde...
>> Women
>
> Women _do_ play the Horde.
>
>> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> What race looks 'good' on the Alliance side? The human males are so
> weirdly proportioned as to not look human, and Night Elves (especially
> the males) are every bit as alien looking as trolls or orcs. Dwarven
> males are arguably the ugliest race in the game next to Undead. Gnomes
> are hardly what I'd call "good looking pixels" either.

What races look good on the Alliance side? Human and elf females. All guys
are (by definition) ugly, so that really isn't a factor.

> I think hands down the two best looking races in the game are Trolls
> and Tauren - that they aren't the most aesthetically "pretty" races is
> only going to be a problem with a relatively shallow minority of
> people, I think.

Then I'm proud to be one of the "relatively shallow minority." Playing an
ugly character doesn't interest me. It doesn't draw me in. If it can't do
that, then why am I bothering to make it my entertainment?

> If someone were to suggest that in Diablo 2 the reason why
> Necromancers were so unpopular was because they were the ugly class I

Riiiight. Because there can't possibly be multiple reasons for things, or
different reasons for different conditions. We must squish everything into
one pre-concieved mold.

> think most people would laugh. I don't know why this "Horde needs hot
> babes so people will play them" theory gets brought up. A lot of

Maybe because that's the biggest problem we see with horde?

> people play Humans because in many people's minds its the "default"
> race. A lot of people play Night Elves because they're elves.

In EQ, you had alot of people playing alot of races, across the board.
Sure, humans were the most common, but you could always find plenty of
barbarians, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, even dwarves (always popular
for clerics). In Lineage II, orcs are fairly popular because they decided
to give every race decent designs. So, what's holding the hoarde back? Are
WoW players somehow completely different than L2 or EQ players? Or is it
something in the game, itself?

> It isn't so much that they're pretty races, as they are comfortable.
> Most people, particularly newer players, probably find it a lot easier
> to grab a Tolkienesque stereotype then it is to "play a monster".

Or most of us may just have no interest in playing a monster. It's our
time, we'll spend it doing things we want.

mikel

isbat1@yahoo.com wrote:
> Troll chicks are hot. Some of the undead are, too. Of course, I'm
> into Suicide Girls, too, so maybe that aesthetic preference is peculiar
> to me.

Not just to you, I like the looks of a lot of the Horde toons, and
dislike some of the Alliance ones (the male Night Elves, for example).

But it looks like people who like the looks of the Horde are in the
minority.

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women
> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
> will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
> basically, all Alliance races.
>
> As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.

Troll females are almost bearable, until you look at the feet....
yuck. Decent frames, spoiled by huge fat lizard feet. <retch>

My vote is for a playable race of demonoids, both male and female
versions of the Warlock's minions (the humanoid ones), or something
along that line... that could be interesting :)
-Marshall <kerr-RRAACKKK!!! --- ummmMMMMmmmmm...>

<isbat1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Troll chicks are hot. Some of the undead are, too. Of course, I'm
> into Suicide Girls, too, so maybe that aesthetic preference is peculiar
> to me.

I hope you don't sneak into funeral homes to look for dates... ;-)
-Marshall

vector

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2001

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> <isbat1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Troll chicks are hot. Some of the undead are, too. Of course, I'm
>> into Suicide Girls, too, so maybe that aesthetic preference is peculiar
>> to me.
>
> I hope you don't sneak into funeral homes to look for dates... ;-)
> -Marshall

Necrophilia means never having to say "I'm sorry."

Periodiciii@youeatpoopy.com wrote:

> Women _do_ play the Horde.

Ow yeah, they are :)
(Not me, I'm a guy)

>> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> What race looks 'good' on the Alliance side? The human males are so
> weirdly proportioned as to not look human, and Night Elves (especially
> the males) are every bit as alien looking as trolls or orcs. Dwarven
> males are arguably the ugliest race in the game next to Undead. Gnomes
> are hardly what I'd call "good looking pixels" either.

And there aren't much pixels who could look good.

> I think hands down the two best looking races in the game are Trolls
> and Tauren - that they aren't the most aesthetically "pretty" races is
> only going to be a problem with a relatively shallow minority of
> people, I think.
>
> If someone were to suggest that in Diablo 2 the reason why Necromancers
> were so unpopular was because they were the ugly class I think most
> people would laugh. I don't know why this "Horde needs hot babes so
> people will play them" theory gets brought up. A lot of people play
> Humans because in many people's minds its the "default" race. A lot of
> people play Night Elves because they're elves.

To be honest, I never considered playing horde. When I heard about WoW, it
was just... "sure" for me to play humans. Or dwarfs. Or elves. Because,
hell, they are the heroes. I never played a game before where humans where
the bad guys. The reason that made me switch to horde, was simple the fact
that horde is outnumbered. Noone needs me on alliance side.
And after all, it was worth it.

> It isn't so much that they're pretty races, as they are comfortable.
> Most people, particularly newer players, probably find it a lot easier
> to grab a Tolkienesque stereotype then it is to "play a monster".

That's my thought, too.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (50) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

mikel

chocolatemalt wrote:
> In article <xXZre.3668$on5.408@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Lorad" <jeff_nospam@hotmail.come> wrote:
>

>>"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
>>>Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
>>>Horde...
>>>Women
>>>Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>>>
>>>Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
>>>will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
>>>basically, all Alliance races.
>>>
>>>As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.
>>>

>>100% agree. My wife plays, she refuses to play Horde because the women are
>>ugly. I play Horde when I can, but since this is something we play for
>>something to do together, that leaves me little time to play the Horde. I am
>>amazed that no one mentioned this in beta, but I would guess less women
>>played in beta. It does not matter if people want to say that is silly, it
>>is still the way it works.
>

> LOL! This is completely true... my gf wouldn't remotely consider any of
> the Horde players either, except the Undead. "They're sort of hot in a
> Goth way," but then she looked just a little closer and saw the exposed
> rotting flesh and sinews jutting out of the legs. NIXXED! Dwarves and
> Gnomes were out for the same reason, unappealing chicks.
>
> I'm willing to bet that 90%+ of all the female chars are playing humans
> or elves. I have to wonder if Blizzard has a single woman working
> anywhere in that company that could have clued them in during the design
> phase...

The women players I know range in age from 17 to 68, and are playing
elves, gnomes, taurens, undead, trolls, orcs, humans, and dwarves.

I'm a woman, and I play a tauren girl (reached 50 yesterday, yeah!) - I
never just thought a minute about playing alliance!

My sister plays an undead. In fact, she wanted to play an elve (argh!),
but as she wanted to quest together with me, she had to follow my
decision! (harhar)

So, here we are, two horde girls!

The other halfs chars from first to last(most recent): human female,
female gnome (oooo so cute), undead (not the one with the missing jaw),
troll.

I believe she's gone from the mindset of 'but I want my character to be
a pretty princess heehee!" to "Horde rock I'm gonna make this one bad
ass". It just takes a wee while to get the head around the idea that
playing nasty horde races is goooood. Hopefully she'll see this char
past level 20.

Baruch

>> people play Humans because in many people's minds its the "default"
>> race. A lot of people play Night Elves because they're elves.

>In EQ, you had alot of people playing alot of races, across the board.
>Sure, humans were the most common, but you could always find plenty of
>barbarians, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, even dwarves (always popular
>for clerics). In Lineage II, orcs are fairly popular because they decided
>to give every race decent designs. So, what's holding the hoarde back? Are
>WoW players somehow completely different than L2 or EQ players? Or is it
>something in the game, itself?

Well in EQ2 they are in the minority. The EQ2 female troll is so
hideous I fail to see why anyone would want to play it.

It also amuses me how many "evil" EQ2 toons wondering around with
permanent enchantments on them that make them look like a
better-looking race. I've never seen a high-elf with an enchantment to
look like a troll but I'll often have seen it the other way round.

Some EQ2 races can be both, i.e. gnomes & humans, but "evil" versions
of them aren't the norm. Its not just the toons but also the
environments. I'm led to believe horde environments can be rather
grim. I personally think Ironforge rather ugly and avoid the place. If
the horde had great looking chars I still wouldn't play them if the
environments are ugly. (For the record I think Tauren are ok looking.
Not great but ok enough to play one.)

In article <1118856148.042051.192910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women
> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
> will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
> basically, all Alliance races.
>
> As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.

On our server, Dragonblight, we have many women playing Horde, and not
only are they damned GOOD, lots of them are VERY attractive as well.

There's something about a woman who'd pick Horde that really appeals to
me...

In article <1118858608.000393.174090@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
isbat1@yahoo.com wrote:

> Troll chicks are hot. Some of the undead are, too. Of course, I'm
> into Suicide Girls, too, so maybe that aesthetic preference is peculiar
> to me.

Goth chicks rule.

"Heidi" <gemwohnung@gmx.at> wrote in message
> I'm a woman, and I play a tauren girl (reached 50 yesterday, yeah!) -
> I never just thought a minute about playing alliance!
>
> My sister plays an undead. In fact, she wanted to play an elve
> (argh!), but as she wanted to quest together with me, she had to
> follow my decision! (harhar)
>
> So, here we are, two horde girls!

omghi2u!

sorry...

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138
http://www.brightonbreaks.co.uk/blog/

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women
> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play

Wrong on both counts Im afraid :) The Female troll is really not a bad
looking model at all, provided you use he smallest tusks possible ;)

As far as Females... my wife loves her Tauren Hunter, and her troll Mage :)

sanjian wrote:
> Periodiciii@youeatpoopy.com wrote:
>
> What races look good on the Alliance side? Human and elf females. All guys
> are (by definition) ugly, so that really isn't a factor.

I have no idea how to respond to the assertion that male characters are
by definition too ugly to play.

> Then I'm proud to be one of the "relatively shallow minority." Playing an
> ugly character doesn't interest me. It doesn't draw me in. If it can't do
> that, then why am I bothering to make it my entertainment?

That you made that choice is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that
your criterion is a shallow one.

> > If someone were to suggest that in Diablo 2 the reason why
> > Necromancers were so unpopular was because they were the ugly class I
>
> Riiiight. Because there can't possibly be multiple reasons for things, or
> different reasons for different conditions. We must squish everything into
> one pre-concieved mold.

Riiiiight, because I'm the one that suggested that the perfect solution
to the Horde's population woes was a pretty race. Did you even read
what I was responding to?

> > people play Humans because in many people's minds its the "default"
> > race. A lot of people play Night Elves because they're elves.
>
> In EQ, you had alot of people playing alot of races, across the board.
> Sure, humans were the most common, but you could always find plenty of
> barbarians, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, even dwarves (always popular
> for clerics). In Lineage II, orcs are fairly popular because they decided
> to give every race decent designs. So, what's holding the hoarde back? Are
> WoW players somehow completely different than L2 or EQ players? Or is it
> something in the game, itself?

Okay, so you had people playing all the nice tolkienesque archetypes -
what does this have to do with the point I was making. You supported
what I said by pointing out that humans were (again) the most common,
as well as barbarians (totally not human),
woodelveshighelvesdarkelvesnoticingapattern? and even dwarves. So it
sounds like the majority were humans and elves, as my theory would
predict.

> > It isn't so much that they're pretty races, as they are comfortable.
> > Most people, particularly newer players, probably find it a lot easier
> > to grab a Tolkienesque stereotype then it is to "play a monster".
>
> Or most of us may just have no interest in playing a monster. It's our
> time, we'll spend it doing things we want.

None of the races, bar _maybe_ Undead could be concieved of as
monsters. The Tauren are probably the most noble race (in general
portrayal) in the game, not to mention the cutest.

Frankly, I prefer the Horde atmosphere, and I don't think they need
anything. The fact that we get the more unusual race picks and
correspondingly, the people who would play such characters, is I think
a good thing. Let the alliance keep their two billion night elf hunters
and human paladins - we don't want them, and I'm not sure the alliance
does either.

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
> Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
> Horde...
> Women
> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>
> Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
> will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
> basically, all Alliance races.
>
> As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.

Any man that lets his Mrs choose Alliance for him needs to grow some balls
and a backbone.

I dunno, you Alliance spend all day worrying about your hair and then wonder
why we stomp you from one end of the battlegrounds to the other! It's not
because we have Will of the Forsaken, it's not because we have shammys, it's
because we kick arse and have learned to fight effectively against
overpowering numbers.

mikel

Ben Rosenthal wrote:
> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>is a good looking race, something like the dark elves in EQ2.
>>Problem is, two important parts of the population won't play the
>>Horde...
>> Women
>> Men who like watching good looking pixels when they play
>>
>>Because of this reason, many men who play with their girlfriends/wives
>>will have to play Alliance, as most women like to look good/cute,
>>basically, all Alliance races.
>>
>>As long as that happens, Alliance will always outnumber Horde.
>>

> Any man that lets his Mrs choose Alliance for him needs to grow some balls
> and a backbone.
>
> I dunno, you Alliance spend all day worrying about your hair and then wonder
> why we stomp you from one end of the battlegrounds to the other! It's not
> because we have Will of the Forsaken, it's not because we have shammys, it's
> because we kick arse and have learned to fight effectively against
> overpowering numbers.

After fighting from both sides, that was my conclusion too.

Nothing more disgusting than participating in an Alliance raid on a
server where the Alliance outnumbers the Horde.