Problem with Keyboard Accessibility Options

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
(StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally get
turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility settings,
and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal with this except
for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me turn them back off! So I
have two questions:

1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?

The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing mode
when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer, which is
very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly turn them off.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Try this, go to the following website,
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, scroll to line 135 and click
"Restore Accessibility Options to Default Settings" in the left column and
see if this resolves the issue.

If not, be sure your antivirus software is up to date and scan your system.
Then, make sure your system is clear of any malware, download, install and
run Ad Aware, www.lavasoftusa.com.

If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
when this began; Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

Other things you might check is to see if you have some application that
might be turning it on. If you have special software installed for your
keyboard, check its options to be sure it is not responsible for this.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
>(StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally get
>turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility settings,
>and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal with this
>except for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me turn them back
>off! So I have two questions:
>
> 1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
> 2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?
>
> The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing mode
> when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer, which is
> very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly turn them
> off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Do a Windows Search for Accessibility. Find the folder and rename it
something like "Accessibilitys".

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
> (StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally get
> turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility
settings,
> and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal with this
except
> for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me turn them back off! So I
> have two questions:
>
> 1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
> 2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?
>
> The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing mode
> when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer, which is
> very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly turn them
off.
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:erOORsGPFHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Nathan Sokalski <njsokalski@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
> (StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally
> get turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility
> settings, and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal
> with this except for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me
> turn them back off! So I have two questions:
>
> 1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
> 2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?
>
> The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing
> mode when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer,
> which is very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly
> turn them off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think you can uninstall Accessability Options? Anyhow, just stop pressing
the shift key five times quickly.

Galen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Unfortunately, you cannot select Accessibility in Add/Remove Programs -
Add/Remove Windows Components. Accessories and Utilities is one big
component.

> In news:erOORsGPFHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Nathan Sokalski <njsokalski@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> > I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
> > (StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally
> > get turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility
> > settings, and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal
> > with this except for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me
> > turn them back off! So I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
> > 2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?
> >
> > The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing
> > mode when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer,
> > which is very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly
> > turn them off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> I think you can uninstall Accessability Options? Anyhow, just stop
pressing
> the shift key five times quickly.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I had the same problem. The only thing that worked for me was to go into
Task manager and delete the running process for Utility Manager. Don't
remember the exact name, but it was pretty obvious which one it was because
it looked like Utility Manager.

In news:OEOWnWHPFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
T. Waters <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> had this to say:

> Unfortunately, you cannot select Accessibility in Add/Remove Programs
> - Add/Remove Windows Components. Accessories and Utilities is one big
> component.

Hah! Interesting... Thanks. I hadn't ever tried so I'd figured it was still
an option. I wonder why it's no longer allowed on XP? Seems pretty silly if
you ask me.

Galen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I agree.

Nathan Sokalski wrote:

> I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
> (StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally get
> turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility settings,
> and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal with this except
> for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me turn them back off! So I
> have two questions:
>
> 1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
> 2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?
>
> The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing mode
> when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer, which is
> very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly turn them off.
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

These registry values will diable StickyKeys and ToggleKeys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys]
"Flags"="506"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys]
"Flags"="34"

There is no reg key for FilterKeys that I can find.

Steve

Steve N. wrote:

> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>
>> I would not like to use the Accessibility options for the keyboard
>> (StickyKeys, FilterKeys, ToggleKeys), but sometimes they accidentally
>> get turned on (even though I have them unchecked in the Accessibility
>> settings, and the Use Shortcut key setting is deselected). I can deal
>> with this except for one thing: my computer doesn't want to let me
>> turn them back off! So I have two questions:
>>
>> 1. How do I prevent them from ever getting turned on?
>> 2. If they do get turned on, how can I turn them back off?
>>
>> The only way I have been able to find to get back to my normal typing
>> mode when they accidentally get turned on is to restart my computer,
>> which is very inefficient, and I am sure there is some way to quickly
>> turn them off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>

> These registry values will diable StickyKeys and ToggleKeys:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys]
> "Flags"="506"
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys]
> "Flags"="34"
>
> There is no reg key for FilterKeys that I can find.
>
> Steve

You can disable the FilterKeys kb shortcut in Control Panel,
Accessibility Options under FilterKeys, Settings, uncheck Use Shortcut.
The same goes for the other options, too.

Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ok, here is the way to do it.

http://www.mix-networks.com/tech-article-stickykeys.php