Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Performance Issue

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2012 7:25:16 PM

I just made an account here to post this question in hopes of somebody stumbling upon it and helping me understand the present issue with my computer. As I said in the title, my problem deals with a matter of performance -- specifically in games. Essentially, the problem is that my computer is running games, that it should be able to, at the very least run in mid/high levels, quite poorly even at the lowest possible setting.

I first realized this when playing Serious Sam HD, as the game had optimized itself to make it run as nicely as possible with the supposed specifications of my computer, as identified by the in-game scan -- and yet as I began playing it, I found myself in need of lowering the graphics continually until eventually I was placed in a situation where the graphics had been set to the lowest settings available without turning down the resolution (which I still have to do for a number of other games). It was odd at the time, but I tend not to typically play that game anyway, so I just ignored it.

The next notable scenario, for if I were to mention every game I tested, it would take nearly forever, was with the PC port of Alan Wake. Again, it had an optimization scan, setting all my graphical levels at high only to force me to manually set it to the lowest settings, as well as lowest resolution, only to find that it still would lag in certain specific areas. I checked the Steam store page, finding that yet again my build surpassed the recommended settings.

It was when the following happened that I decided to finally take action and find out what the problem is. I load up The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and instantly crank all the settings up to the max, because my old computer that had been rocking an ATI X1800 had been able to do so, finding yet again that I needed to turn the graphics down, down, and down again to get the optimal 60fps I desired. It was official -- my old computer with presumably worse parts had surpassed the abilities of my newer gaming computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because I know you're going to need it to help me out with this problem, here are my specifications:
-Processor = AMD FX-4100 Quad Core (3.6 GHz)
-RAM = 8GB DDR3
-Graphics Card = AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
-Hard Drive = 500GB SATA
-Power Supply = 500W
-Motherboard = NVIDIA GeForce 7025
-OS = Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) - Service Pack 1

Also, here's the computer itself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More about : performance issue

July 21, 2012 7:58:38 PM

Ah, yes -- if at all possible, I'd like to avoid spending any money.
July 22, 2012 12:22:57 AM

Download all of your drivers to a USB device. (This will take you going to each manufactures website, and download the CORRECT driver)
Do a clean install of Windows.
Install ALL of the Drivers, starting with the Chipset Driver. (DO NOT connect your PC to the internet untill AFTER)
Go to your device manager (Just click start and type device manager) and ensure that there are NO devices without a driver. (Simply see if any of the icons have a little yellow sign)
Once ALL drivers are installed connect to the internet and do a windows update. Then restart your PC. DO THIS UNTILL THERE ARE NO UPDATES FOR YOU.
At which point you can then start installing a anti virus program.(Dont have one, Microsoft Security Essentials does not affect system performance hardly at all, and is free)
Then install your "test" game.
Run the game, ENSURE that it is updated.

After this if it is not performing as desired, PLEASE repost.

You will need a chipset driver, video driver, audio, nework adapter (you might need 2 of these if you have a wireless adapter), SATA Controler/AHCI, and anything else that your setup requires.
Related resources
July 22, 2012 1:49:19 AM

First of all your setup is not the best for high performance gaming. That cpu is equal to the old intel dual core chips. See attached:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

In overclock may be in order for your cpu. I have an amd phenom overclocked to 4.2 ghz through my mobo softward. you could tweak a little and see if your performance improves. I would do it with caution and follow a guide from tom's hardware before attempting
July 22, 2012 1:51:38 AM

Sorry for the typos, but I am falling asleep
July 22, 2012 1:54:55 AM

JefferyD90 said:
Download all of your drivers to a USB device. (This will take you going to each manufactures website, and download the CORRECT driver)
Do a clean install of Windows.
Install ALL of the Drivers, starting with the Chipset Driver. (DO NOT connect your PC to the internet untill AFTER)
Go to your device manager (Just click start and type device manager) and ensure that there are NO devices without a driver. (Simply see if any of the icons have a little yellow sign)
Once ALL drivers are installed connect to the internet and do a windows update. Then restart your PC. DO THIS UNTILL THERE ARE NO UPDATES FOR YOU.
At which point you can then start installing a anti virus program.(Dont have one, Microsoft Security Essentials does not affect system performance hardly at all, and is free)
Then install your "test" game.
Run the game, ENSURE that it is updated.

After this if it is not performing as desired, PLEASE repost.

You will need a chipset driver, video driver, audio, nework adapter (you might need 2 of these if you have a wireless adapter), SATA Controler/AHCI, and anything else that your setup requires.

This all seems so intricate and, well, difficult. My technological skills are below average at best. While this is an amazing answer... I must ask, is there any easier method?
July 22, 2012 1:59:22 AM

avenseth12 said:
First of all your setup is not the best for high performance gaming. That cpu is equal to the old intel dual core chips. See attached:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

In overclock may be in order for your cpu. I have an amd phenom overclocked to 4.2 ghz through my mobo softward. you could tweak a little and see if your performance improves. I would do it with caution and follow a guide from tom's hardware before attempting

I think its driver related... That CPU can play any game JUST FINE...
July 22, 2012 2:42:07 AM

No that cpu cannot play any game unless it is overclocked
July 22, 2012 3:18:00 AM

avenseth12 said:
No that cpu cannot play any game unless it is overclocked

It's 3.6GHz, so I still think that it should be able to run games, but if you think that it's the solution...
I'm always wary of overclocking due to overheats and such, but if you think this computer can handle it, then... Perhaps...
July 22, 2012 3:34:04 AM

Well that's just wrong avenseth, my laptop with a 2GHz turion could run oblivion, poorly and at minimum settings but it was playable, an FX-4100 is orders of magnitude better and should handle it just fine. I hate that people seem to think that just because it isn't one of the best CPUs out there that it is horrible, it's still going to do just fine, not spectacular but it will do well.

What driver version are you running? Sometimes trying another version from a few months prior can help.

What resolution are you running and what resolution were you running on your old computer that could handle oblivion with the X1800 well?
July 22, 2012 3:52:18 AM

hunter315 said:
What driver version are you running? Sometimes trying another version from a few months prior can help.

What resolution are you running and what resolution were you running on your old computer that could handle oblivion with the X1800 well?

Driver version for my CPU? 6.1.7600

As for my old computer... I was using 1280x1048, which was my native resolution at the time. I've tried running the game in 1024x768, though, and unless I have it in low settings it lags -- minimum settings if I use mods (which I do).
July 22, 2012 7:02:48 AM

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH HUNTER

I never said it was the best CPU out there... but is MORE than capable of running ANY game out on the market today at stock settings.

The absolute BIGGEST problem with people and performance is typically their drivers. And your Video Driver isnt the only one you need to update... If there is another driver that is not installed right it will not allocate memory to the device accordingly thus causing your whole system to deminish... So my answer from before ENSURES the absolute best performance for your machine...

Did you make the machine yourself? Or is it a prebuild? If it was build by you, please tell me the make and model of your MOBO and everything... If it is a prebuild please tell me the model of PC. I will find all the drivers for you if you do.
July 22, 2012 3:30:54 PM

JefferyD90 said:
Did you make the machine yourself? Or is it a prebuild? If it was build by you, please tell me the make and model of your MOBO and everything... If it is a prebuild please tell me the model of PC. I will find all the drivers for you if you do.

I will refer you to the link that I had in my first post: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is the CyberPowerPC Gamer Ultra 2098.
July 23, 2012 1:34:45 AM

I must thank you -- all of you -- for the help you've given me thus far. I understand how hard it must be to work with a man so inexperienced asking for help in what could potentially be a difficult task even for those with more knowledge in the area of technology.
July 23, 2012 6:17:57 AM

Still dont know the manufacture of your motherboard or anything... All I know that will help me is your chipset, CPU Hotfix, and Video Driver... I need to know the make and model of your motherboard at least...

Best solution

July 23, 2012 6:44:56 AM

Actually yes it does :) 

So download and install these drivers in this EXACT order... Keep in mind I really sudjest you do a clean install of windows.

Chipset: http://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/motherboard_driver_c...
Video: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-6_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.e...
Audio: http://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/mb_driver_audio_real...
SATA: http://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/motherboard_driver_r...

Also restart your PC between each one.

After installing all of these then connect your PC to the internet, download ALL windows updates (You will probably need to download, install, restart PC several times before its got all of them).

Then install your antimalware program (If you dont have one Microsoft Securty Essentials is very nice and free).

Now check it out, see how it performs.
July 23, 2012 3:42:24 PM

Hmm... I know you suggest it, but what if I chose not to do a clean install of Windows? I ask because my computer is filled up with all sorts of stuff that I downloaded -- so much in fact that reinstalling everything could potentially take a week or two.
July 23, 2012 5:22:00 PM

It should never take a week or two to install all of your programs... Next if you dont do a clean install I cant guarentee that the drivers will stick. For whatever reason when you install drivers overtop of a prior driver that Windows deams "Digitaly Signed" Windows decides to revert back all the time.
July 23, 2012 6:18:15 PM

Alright, I got it now. Getting started on the thing.
July 23, 2012 6:19:29 PM

Best answer selected by TomasWolf.
July 24, 2012 12:32:58 AM

Another thing, if you have like a webcam or other USB devices, go to the manufactures website and find THE MOST up to date driver for that device. Do not install using a CD provided in your package.
July 24, 2012 7:36:03 PM

Okay -- bad news. It didn't make much of a difference at all. I guess this one isn't solved after all.
July 24, 2012 8:02:40 PM

Did you do a clean install of windows?
July 24, 2012 9:46:30 PM

Yes.

Although, I suppose it could just be that my computer isn't as good as I thought it was. I'm planning on upgrading the card soon-ish anyway, would the problem remain even after getting it?
July 24, 2012 10:03:37 PM

The video card isnt awsome, Im not going to lie to you there, but it is more than enough for mid, to upper mid games...
July 24, 2012 10:17:50 PM

Hmm...

Oh...! It appears that I actually forgot to install one of the drivers, the fourth one I believe. Yes, I remember now. I couldn't figure out where the hell to extract it to. I was expecting it to be like the others, but it wasn't.

...................I need to do another clean install, don't I?
July 24, 2012 10:43:37 PM

No, as long as you didnt have issues you should be fine. As long as Windows hasnt got a digitaly signed driver you should be fine. Did you do all of the Windows updates?
July 24, 2012 11:25:03 PM

Yes, including the two optional ones.
July 24, 2012 11:26:19 PM

Where DO I extract the fourth, anyway?
July 24, 2012 11:47:09 PM

You dont extract anything, they are executable. You should just download it to a USB pen, then stick it into the computer that is in question, then run the program... Just hit "Next", "Continue", "I Accept", "Finish" same drill as you should be used to with installing programs.
July 24, 2012 11:49:03 PM

TomasWolf said:
Yes, including the two optional ones.

What was the 2 "Optional" ones? Do you remember?
July 25, 2012 12:48:55 AM

JefferyD90 said:
You dont extract anything, they are executable. You should just download it to a USB pen, then stick it into the computer that is in question, then run the program... Just hit "Next", "Continue", "I Accept", "Finish" same drill as you should be used to with installing programs.

I saw that they were .exe files, but they opened as though they were .zip files. It didn't seem to be a hindrance to the other two that did it, and Catalyst was like the normal update, but this one was different.
July 25, 2012 12:56:37 AM

Well, I cant open them as it tells me I do not have the hardware to do so :) 

I would just extract it to the default loaction... if it performs like a ZIP I would extract it and then go into the extracted folder and run the exe from there.
July 25, 2012 1:16:33 AM

JefferyD90 said:
Well, I cant open them as it tells me I do not have the hardware to do so :) 

I would just extract it to the default loaction... if it performs like a ZIP I would extract it and then go into the extracted folder and run the exe from there.

I did that with the other two that did this, but there's no .exe in the extracted folder.
I'll try again, so I guess we'll see.
July 25, 2012 1:18:21 AM

Nope, no .exe within the folder.
July 25, 2012 3:26:55 AM

So then is it all .dll files? If this is the case then forget it, cause you would have had to set it up when you installed Windows... This is a little more advanced and I dont feel comfortable telling you how to do it without me being there to watch and make sure. Just know that without this controler (50% chance) your never going to get SATA II (3G) or SATA III (6G) speeds it will be limited to 100 Mbps ATA speeds.
July 25, 2012 3:53:31 AM

That's still not too bad, really. I think I can deal with that.
July 25, 2012 3:55:04 AM

...I-is that not too bad?
July 25, 2012 4:25:53 AM

JefferyD90 said:

What was the 2 "Optional" ones? Do you remember?

To answer this question: "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2709981)" and "nVidia - Network -NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller"
July 25, 2012 5:21:19 AM

The update is for playing DVD's and the NForce controller is no big deal. Yea the transfer speeds are not that big of a deal as most HD dont transfer at speeds that quickly anyways...
!