Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which is better? HD 7870 vs GTX 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2012 11:26:26 PM

it's been quite a confusion to me for a while comparing which is better the HD 7870 or the GTX 670
i know that the Radeon series always has price advantage over NVIDIA
and i know that NVIDIA is better from which i know is the performance
but from what i know the performance is (from i'm googling) it's pretty much the same

so what do you guys think about HD 7870 vs GTX 670 ?
which is better and why

thanks for coming hope you guys leave a comment
much appreciate

More about : 7870 gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 11:40:51 PM

670 easily. More bang for buck and performs pretty much the same as a 7970 and 680. If you can afford that, go for it.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2012 12:18:45 AM

I have a 7870 and if I had know the 670 would be out as soon as it was I would have waited.
I just don't feel the ATI drivers are as good as nvidias and I am still having some issues with my 7870
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:22:52 AM

alrobichaud said:
It is pretty hard to find a benchmark comparison of the two. This shows the 7870 compared to the 7950.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

At 1080, the 7870 is a bit slower than the 7950 which is a bit slower than the 7970. The 670 is a bit faster than a stock 7970 at 1080.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-rev...

Hope this helps.

thank you guys for the comment and stuff
so should i get the GTX 670 or the HD 7870 one?
cause im planning for Ivy Bridge and MSI 670 OC version
m
l

Best solution

May 29, 2012 1:34:20 AM

I always had Nvidia cards until I gave ATI/AMD a try for two most recent builds.

While performance-wise their cards are comparable (you might see a few % difference in benchmarks but when you're sitting behind your monitor shooting whatever moves in BF3 you won't notice it) AMD usually had better value and power/heat conditions. For this generation of cards though, Nvidia has better value and comparable/better heat/power conditions.

However, what you will notice is driver problems. In that respect, I feel AMD isn't up to par. Yes, both manufacturers have driver problems for a few games every year but the difference is that Nvidia reacts (and releases new drivers) much faster than AMD. Also, (and this is completely arbitrary) I find that most games have an affinity towards Nvidia's cards -- I don't know, maybe it's because of the architecture of the chip?

In a nutshell, buy the 670 unless you think it's overkill for your needs in which case wait until late July to buy the 660 Ti.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 2:17:48 AM

There has been exactly one notable driver problem with the latest generation, and it was tiny and fixed very quickly.

Buy the 670 not because of Nvidia vs. AMD trends at all but simply for its value. As has been repeated in this thread, the 670 has performance comparable to the 7970, which is much better than the 7870.
m
l
a c 639 U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 3:05:42 AM

Kabobi said:
I always had Nvidia cards until I gave ATI/AMD a try for two most recent builds.

While performance-wise their cards are comparable (you might see a few % difference in benchmarks but when you're sitting behind your monitor shooting whatever moves in BF3 you won't notice it) AMD usually had better value and power/heat conditions. For this generation of cards though, Nvidia has better value and comparable/better heat/power conditions.

However, what you will notice is driver problems. In that respect, I feel AMD isn't up to par. Yes, both manufacturers have driver problems for a few games every year but the difference is that Nvidia reacts (and releases new drivers) much faster than AMD. Also, (and this is completely arbitrary) I find that most games have an affinity towards Nvidia's cards -- I don't know, maybe it's because of the architecture of the chip?

In a nutshell, buy the 670 unless you think it's overkill for your needs in which case wait until late July to buy the 660 Ti.

I have to say, that was very well written, and I completely agree.

The debate of 7870 vs GTX 670 is no debate at all the 670 is just about the fastest GPU in the world. The 7870 is a mid-range GPU. You also get all the extras from Nvidia that AMD just can't match: PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, and soon, TXAA and Geforce Experience.

Looks like its a ~20%-25%+ performance advantage for the GTX 670:
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 3:27:25 AM

yes these two cards should not even be on the same table the 670 trades blows back and forth with the 7970 but there is like a 200 dollar diffrence so I don't see why you have to pck between these two... if ou are spending 400 US you should be asking if you should get the 7970 or the 670 and the answer is still the 670... The 7970 is a great card but 670 is just the way to go right now.

Thent
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 3:30:26 AM

nandikaharahap said:
it's been quite a confusion to me for a while comparing which is better the HD 7870 or the GTX 670
i know that the Radeon series always has price advantage over NVIDIA
and i know that NVIDIA is better from which i know is the performance
but from what i know the performance is (from i'm googling) it's pretty much the same

AMD and Nvidia typically are within a few % of each other within the same pricing bracket, depending on the game. You should always go with what offers the best performance within your budget: sometimes that's AMD, sometimes that's Nvidia. Lately, AMD offers the best value on the low end, and Nvidia on the high end, but that will probably stabilize as more Nvidia cards are released and AMD gets their act together on pricing.

Between the HD 7870 and GTX 670, the 670 is a lot faster (who the hell told you they were the same!), but you're comparing apples to oranges. They aren't priced to compete with each other directly. If you have $400 to spend on video, you won't do better than the GTX 670. If you want to spend less, I'd recommend one of the 78xx's.
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:30:37 PM

Best answer selected by nandikaharahap.
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:31:16 PM

problem solved im gonna take the 670 thank you guys for your responses much appreciate
m
l
!