Sign in with
Your question

CrossFireX Radeon HD 6870's, unable to add third monitor.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2012 12:45:50 AM

Hello,
I have 2 Radeon HD 6870's in crossfire, and I can't get my third monitor to function properly. The first monitor is hooked up via a Display Port to HDMI cable, and the second is hooked up via a DVI to HDMI adapter, and an HDMI cable. The third monitor only supports VGA, so I've been trying to hook it up with a DVI to VGA adapter. Windows always detects the monitor, but when i try to extend the desktop, I get the "Unable to save desktop display settings" error message, and Catalyst won't even detect the third monitor. I've tried connecting it to the second DVI port on the first card as well as both the DVI ports on the second card. I read that you need at least one monitor hooked up via Display Port, but my main monitor is so I don't see how that's the problem. Anyways, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
a b C Monitor
May 29, 2012 5:47:40 AM

joniki08 said:
Hello,
I have 2 Radeon HD 6870's in crossfire, and I can't get my third monitor to function properly. The first monitor is hooked up via a Display Port to HDMI cable, and the second is hooked up via a DVI to HDMI adapter, and an HDMI cable. The third monitor only supports VGA, so I've been trying to hook it up with a DVI to VGA adapter. Windows always detects the monitor, but when i try to extend the desktop, I get the "Unable to save desktop display settings" error message, and Catalyst won't even detect the third monitor. I've tried connecting it to the second DVI port on the first card as well as both the DVI ports on the second card. I read that you need at least one monitor hooked up via Display Port, but my main monitor is so I don't see how that's the problem. Anyways, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Typical AMD graphics cards have 2 DVI ports, an HDMI port & a display port. The HDMI is sharing the clock with one of the DVI ports. Based on your description of the problem, you do not have an HDMI port?

What is exactly the brand & model of the 6870 where you connect the 3 monitors?
m
l
!