Replacing AM2 CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2012 8:37:30 PM

Hello,
My cpu fried, and I'm having trouble finding a new one. It was a AMD Phenom II AM2 socket. I've been to the local Fry's, and checked out websites, but all I found were a couple old single cores. Can anyone tell me where to find a suitable replacement?

More about : replacing am2 cpu

a c 156 à CPUs
December 2, 2012 8:40:10 PM

Fetch said:
Hello,
My cpu fried, and I'm having trouble finding a new one. It was a AMD Phenom II AM2 socket. I've been to the local Fry's, and checked out websites, but all I found were a couple old single cores. Can anyone tell me where to find a suitable replacement?

Are you sure it is the CPU? CPU's are some of the most reliable piece of hardware in a computer and rarely if ever fail. If it is dead then your best bet would be Ebay. AMD has since stopped making Athlon II and Phenom II's and most sold out of stores a long time ago. Like I said about the only chance of finding an old Phenom II is on Ebay.
m
l
December 2, 2012 8:46:42 PM

Yeah, definately the cpu. the bracket on the heatsink failed during a move, and several pins were broken. I really don't care if it's the exact same model, as long as the performance is similar.
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 à CPUs
December 2, 2012 8:49:02 PM

I would check Ebay, other than that you'll probably have trouble finding one new in an E-store like New Egg or Tiger Direct unless you get lucky and find some little no name site that has a stock pile of them.
m
l
December 2, 2012 9:09:29 PM

Yeah, I was hoping to find a quad. My asus mobo is a few years old, but I still don't want to swap it out. I hope the dual core won't drop performance too much.
m
l
December 2, 2012 9:13:14 PM

Alternatively, do you have any suggestions for an affordable motherboard/cpu bundle for gaming?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 9:16:00 PM

Don't think there are any quads for AM2.

Anyways a cheap and affordable bundle for gaming would be the Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS and the Phenom II X4 955/965 black edition. Though you will need to upgrade the ram I believe, but ram is pretty cheap for DDR3. 8gb on sale is $30.
m
l
December 2, 2012 9:24:29 PM

Maybe I'll need to just swap it all out. Do you have the item numbers for those components?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 11:43:41 PM

Well would you look at that, your current motherboard supports AM3 processors. That being said just grab the Phenom 965 Black edition. Your motherboard has an AM3 socket not Am2.

Or is that a B not an 8? Not getting any searches with the B.
m
l
December 2, 2012 11:46:38 PM

Be careful as that board may support AM3 processors but only may support up to 95watts instead of the 125watt type. But nevermind... looks like your go to go - up to 140w
m
l
December 3, 2012 12:10:08 PM

Thanks, i had a feeling the salesman at frys was trying to gouge me. I appreciate all the help.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:20:59 PM

I wouldn't say he was going to try to intentionally dupe you into buying a motherboard that wont support it, he just wants to help you out. Just to be on the safe side always ask for the TDP of the motherboard, either the salesman knows it or the box should have it written somewhere.
m
l
a c 156 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:38:18 PM

socialfox said:
I wouldn't say he was going to try to intentionally dupe you into buying a motherboard that wont support it, he just wants to help you out. Just to be on the safe side always ask for the TDP of the motherboard, either the salesman knows it or the box should have it written somewhere.

I don't have a Frys near me but I do have a Microcenter near me and they have a ton of motherboards. Don't know if a sales person would know the TDP for every single motherboard but it is usually on the box in the specs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 7:02:08 PM

rds1220 said:
I don't have a Frys near me but I do have a Microcenter near me and they have a ton of motherboards. Don't know if a sales person would know the TDP for every single motherboard but it is usually on the box in the specs.

Yeah I know that, it would be a pain for a salesman to memorize the TDP of every single board. But he may know the tdp of the most commonly bought boards and if he's asked the same question again and again :lol: 
m
l
December 4, 2012 9:58:41 AM

No, he told me i could only use an am2, and that if i was desperate to get my pc working be'd me a new motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 10:18:13 AM

Fetch said:
No, he told me i could only use an am2, and that if i was desperate to get my pc working be'd me a new motherboard.

An AM2 socket for the Phenom II? That could be possible if it was one of those boards that can support (AM2 and AM3) both. Anyways are you sticking on to the AM2 platform or moving on to the AM3+ platform?
m
l
December 4, 2012 2:12:09 PM

I'm going for the am3. The am2 is just too scarce.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 7:16:26 PM

Have you decided what motherboard and CPU you are getting? Or do you need help with selecting one....
m
l