New PSU fan gets really loud

matthewh96

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
First of all, before you say that I should never skimp on power supplies, I've definately learned my lesson now. When reading the reviews foolishly after I bought the power supply, I knew how much of a risk this PSU would be no matter what type of computer I installed it in. At the moment, I have my old PC set up that has been sat around doing nothing for the past few years. It still works today, and the PSU that came with the pre-built computer still works absolutely fine and fairly quiet. Because it is outdated now and I will be building a new PC soon anyway (primarily what the PSU was bought for), I decided it wouldn't be much of a risk to test it in my old computer and see how it goes. The good thing is it works, for now. It powers up my computer but the issue is that after the PC has just been powered on, the fan starts to get louder and louder to the point where it sounds like it is working to hard and is about to blow up. Before the fan got too loud, I quickly switched off the power to the PC as I thought that it didn't sound safe to use whatsoever. I'm wondering if anybody has any idea why this is happening and whether it will sort it self out after a while or not? I personally am not sure it is worth the risk. Despite all the good reviews on this product, there are also a fair few bad ones saying that it blew up within a few weeks or months.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Uberperson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Return it, or void the warranty and replace the fan. I recently bought a 600w stallion rosewill PSU and it was very noisy. Rather then pay 1/5th the price for shipping and return it I just opened it up and replaced the fan(had the pwr connector come out with the other cords and put it right on my board.)

matthewh96

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks for your reply :) Just to let you know I tested the power supply outside of the computer using the paper clip method (paperclip in green and black pins) and it worked quietly as it should. It seems to be only when it's connected to my motherboard and other components. Any suggestions?

Thanks