Should I upgrade my CPU?

llort14

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello, my main question is: right now, I have a Phenom II x4 910 overclocked to 3.0 GHz, 8gb RAM ddr3 1600, Ati 6870 1gb gddr5 and an Asus m4a78t-e AM3 Motherboard.
Well, I mainly use this computer for gaming at 1080p resolutions. I play games such as Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Pay Day, Hawken, and so on.
Now, I'm starting to believe that maybe is time to upgrade my CPU, but that's why I come here for advise: Do you think this Phenom is still enough for gaming? My other options in case I should upgrade are: Intel Core i3 2120, then of course I'll change the i3 for an i5 3rd generation or I can get an AMD FX. Any suggestions? I'm looking, in case I need to upgrade, for a good processor around $150.

Thanks!

What kind of frame rates are you attaining on your current rig? What's the minimum you're willing to accept? If your current rig exceeds that, there is no practical reason for a CPU upgrade. Best to wait for a systems upgrade when that time comes.
I would suggest a good aftermarket cooler instead and giving your overclocks a boost still

llort14

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well, in some games like Skyrim I usually have around 60 fps with everything set to high (just some things in ultra), and sometimes it goes down to about 40 when there is fire, snow or smoke.
In Battlefield 3 at 1080p I get like 50-28 fps in Multiplayer, but sometimes it goes like to 30 when experiencing explosions, with everything set to High. It's safe to overclock this Phenom even more? I mean, I'm overclocking it by increasing the Bus, but I never have done this for more than just like 230 mhz bus.

And the AMD FX look interesting, but, is it worthy?