Sign in with
Your question

Help needed with Gigabyte 7970oc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2012 1:47:17 AM

Hello,

I just finished my first dream build and everything went great till I loaded my graphics drivers. right after that the screen would blackout for a second and come back on saying the AMD drivers malfunctioned and recovered. so, I figured it was driver related and loaded the latest drivers from gigabyte for my card and the same thing is happening. the screen going black and getting a Driver malfuntion message. so, I removed all the amd and gigabyte drivers and utilitys and the problem no longer happens. Im at a loss. could the card have a problem or is it all driver related?

Thank for you help.

Jerid

More about : needed gigabyte 7970oc

May 29, 2012 2:30:51 AM

If you removed the drivers and the issues went away, it was obviously a driver issue. However, which version of AMD's driver are you using? I had this problem with 12.4 so I downgraded back to 12.3..as soon as I did that, the issues all went away. (On brother's 6870 rig..should be pretty similar since it's a driver issue :)  )
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:51:05 PM

No i didnt try using a earlier driver. just the latest from Gigabyte and then AMD. Ill try 12.3.

Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2012 2:07:06 PM

When installing your drivers ensure that you have all anti virus software disabled, firewalls disabled, and for safety plug out your internet. I had some issues with drivers when I skipped this process, not everyone will have to do it but some pc's can be tempermental.
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:02:15 PM

It seems as if whenever I load any drivers from Gigabyte I have problems. So I just loaded catalyst 12.4 from amd and so far its not given me a single problem. So im hoping that fixes it.

Thanks again for the help.
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:02:37 AM

Good to hear it's not acting up :)  Just remember if it DOES start acting up, there's always the option of 12.3!

Good luck and have fun :D 
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:09:55 AM

I wonder what it is in 12.4 that is causing the problems?
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:19:55 AM

blackhawk95 said:
I wonder what it is in 12.4 that is causing the problems?

I'm not too sure to be honest...that and I'm too lazy to look up what's causing the problems. I just know that if I run into any issues with a driver update, ALWAYS revert back to the last version that was working correctly for you.
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:40:47 PM

Well, Im just glad that so far this has been my biggest problem. Now im looking into why the card scored badly in 3dmark vantage. from what i can gather it seems to be down about 10,000 points.

Jerid
m
l
!