Help - FX-8350 - capable with ?

dabrowns

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hey everyone!

Quick question about the AMD FX-8350. Currently in my system I have the gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 motherboard. And AMD FX 8120. I was thinking about buying the FX-8350 will it be capable with my current motherboard ^

Gigabyte motherboard ---- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128529&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20AMD-_-GIGABYTE-_-13128529&AID=10440897&PID=3630615&SID=

AMD FX 8350 ---- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

-Brandon

Yes it's an AM3 board so physically it will accept the Piledriver. You'll probably have to flash the BIOS but other than that it should work fine.

The Bios is set as to which CPU's it can accept. In this case it was set to accept the the old Phenom II and the new (at that time) Bulldozer. Motherboard manufactures can't prepare for every new architecture down the road. Your motherboard was on the shelves long before Piledriver came out so the only way for the BIOS to recognize your new CPU is to flash the BIOS or update the list of CPU's that the motherboard can accept. Personally if you are unsure if what to do I would bring it to someone who knows how to do it or a shop because if you mess up the flashing process you will brick the motherboard and you will have no choice but to replace the board. Once it's bricked it's nothing but a paper weight.

Changing a CPU isn't hard either but if you don't know what you are doing and bend pins on the mother board or the CPU then you screwed up pretty bad. If you don't know what you are doing it's best to watch someone who does.

swilczak

Distinguished
dabrowns, Did you ever successfully upgrade to the 8350? I'm just curious because I have the same motherboard in one of my gaming PC's with the fx 6100, but the cpu support list says the best CPU it will take is the fx 8100, which obviously isn't true because you have an 8120 working.

TRENDING THREADS