AMD switching HD4xxx series and under to legacy driver support?

gert21445

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hello,

So I have heard news over the Internet, and statements from AMD as well, which seem to point out that the company is planning to move the Radeon HD4xxx cards (and older), to legacy driver support. However, what it was not so clear about was whether the last monthly driver upgrade for these cards would be this month (with Catalyst 12.5) or next month, Catalyst 12.6, before mainstream driver support is switched off.
I'm asking this because I run a small business, with around 50 or so office computers with an HD4000 series card. The last time I updated the driver for them was Catalyst 11.6b, which has been very stable so far. However, I'd like to take this chance to update these computers to the newest driver, and I don't want to do it twice (takes hours ), and so I was wondering whether 12.5 or 12.6 was going to be the last mainstream monthly driver for these cards? Thanks so much!

Solution
If you your 4000 series cards are 4500 series & running Win 7 or Vista, then the 12.4a might be the update for you.
Otherwise, I believe you are right in considering waiting for the 12.5. But then I suggest against being one of the early adopters because who knows what bugs the 12.5 might bring.

randomkid

Distinguished
If you your 4000 series cards are 4500 series & running Win 7 or Vista, then the 12.4a might be the update for you.
Otherwise, I believe you are right in considering waiting for the 12.5. But then I suggest against being one of the early adopters because who knows what bugs the 12.5 might bring.

Solution