Time for a gaming rig! Need advice

xB01S0NxBARRYx

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)
Within the month of August

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping
I have $5000 to spend, but I don't need a $5000 pc, thats just my budget

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)
Gaming, Gaming, Gaming, surfing the internet, microsoft word

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.
I would like a windows operating system

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)
Either is fine. I'm not really partial to one or the other.

Location: City, State/Region, Country - we need to know where these parts are being assembled and whether there are good store-only deals available
I assume this is my location
Medford, NJ USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type
I would prefer Intel over AMD but I'm not really sure of the difference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:
I honestly don't know what this means. What ever will give me a better game performance, I want that one :)
I do know that I want a really high end gpu like a nvidia gtx 680 or an amd equivelent

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or if you're upgrading please state what you'd want to get)
1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)
I don't NEED a pc with windows but it would be REALLY NICE. Also, I don't really care if its loud or quiet (although quiet is definitely better), but I do want it to have adequate cooling, whether it be fans or water cooling. I play games like battlefield 3 and minecraft

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (e.g. I'm having trouble running game X or my PSU broke)
I game on an xbox 360 and up until recently, I thought that was as good as it got. I went over to a friends house, who has a falcon nw tiki, and we played bf3. I was blown away. The graphics were crisp and clear and the destruction was unreal. Going back to my xbox is a huge downgrade so I want something to replicate my falcon nw tiki experience

I am not that experienced with pc's so I need you guys to help me out. I want to be able to play bf3 on ultra settings with great frames per second. I want to get the most graphical performance and speed that I can with my budget. Now that I have experienced the power of pc gaming, I want to go all the way, no holds barred! Thanks guys

you can max out bf3 with 1600 dollars bro.

at 5k, i can buy dual xeons and all that fancy server stuff that no normal user can use

heres what i would get. id aim for 1500 dollars. 2 things that i would upgrade from this build. one, id get a noctua nh-d14 cooler instead of the hyper 212 evo as it has a lot more overclocking headroom and is much quieter. the second thing that you can upgrade is the case to a corsair obsidian 650d. the carbide 500R is one of the best cases out there but the 650d is more premium.

1500 dollars.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cHUC

xB01S0NxBARRYx

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Ok, I have no experience with this stuff so if my price is too high, I have no idea. Could you guys customize a great pc in the 2000-2500 range? If two gtx 680s are overkill now, they should last me a while right?

I don't mean to seem lazy or come across as stupid, but I'm asking you guys because I don't know the first thing about putting together rigs

xB01S0NxBARRYx

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Im not really looking for a monitor but that looks really awesome

xB01S0NxBARRYx

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I want to build a solid system so it will last me for some time and I won't be stuck in this vicious upgrade cycle. BF3 is what I'm playing now but in 3-4 years I will be playing more graphically intense and more demanding games. I want a pc that can run bf3 on ultra now and some other game on ultra later instead of ultra on bf3 now and a new card later.

TheBigTroll or anybody willing to help (please do!), could you customize a rig for me with that in mind

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cbi7

as i suggested before. it can play games at max settings right now and will do so for the next 2 years. then you will have to turn down to basic ultra and so forth. you can always add another gtx670 in the future if you need the boost in performance

its impossible to keep up max settings for 3-4years with current hardware as tech only goes forward. in the past, hardware only changes once 1.5-2.5years. now they change every year or less making catching up much harder

you can get this now but it is about the same as the 1500 dollar build only that you get the performance of 2 680s all at once instead of buying them seperately. buying the 1500 dollar option is the smarter way to go

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKDa

obsama1

Distinguished
2 GTX 680's are better than a 690. Higher clocks, and if you plan on reselling, very few people will buy a 690. Many people will buy a used 680 instead of used 690.

obsama1

Distinguished
Yes, but look, in the future, when upgrading, you aren't going to throw out that 690. You're going to want to sell it and buy a new GPU. But, very few people will be willing to buy a 690. More people would buy a 680. The 690 has some pros like like less power consumption, but SLI 680's beat it.