Display Driver Crashed and has recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmilleroly27

Honorable
May 29, 2012
My display driver has been randomly crashing. Most of the time the screen goes black and then back to whatever I was doing in about 5-15 seconds. Sometimes the screen stays black and I'm forced to reboot with no problems after reboot. Nothing specific seems to trigger the symptoms. This is my own custom built computer. This computer is primarily used for gaming and basic tasks. My specs are
AMD triple core processor 3.3 ghz
Radeon HD 6770
650 watt visiontek psu
16 gb of corsair ram
500 gb hd
gigabyte motherboard

I just cleaned my PC today so will see if that helps, I heard your supposed to clean your desktop every 6 months. I've only had it for about 4 months. I already updated my drivers several times, currently at AMD Catalyst 12.4 and I updated my BIOS. The Display driver has crashed in windows, firefox, diablo 3 and I think Mass Effect 1-3. Diablo 3 tends to be where it happens the most. Also I was playing diablo 3 and listening to youtube music at the same time. That was probably the most frequent time for display crash, but again still very random. Inever thought running a game and youtube would be a problem with my current set up. If I'm wrong please let me know. The frequency of the crash is like 1-4 times a week so very random.

Solution
I am equally perplexed at your problem. I see no reason for it seeing that nothing is out of order. The 1-4 times a week random crash is not too bad, I guess. But if you are bothered by it it guess it is worthwhile to check you RAM too seeing that you have 16GB of them which could be 2 or 4 sticks.

randomkid

Distinguished
How do you know the display driver itself has crashed on occasion where the screen is black? In my experience, if the driver crash, it is usually able to recover. Perhaps there are other causes.

Do you have any overclocking done on the processor? If yes, bring it back to stock.
What is your processor & gpu temperatures?

pmilleroly27

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I haven't done any overclocking before. My CPU is at 37 C. When the screen comes back from the black screen a message pops up in windows saying "display driver has crashed and recovered" sometimes the screen stays black. How do you bring the processor back to stock? just curious and how do you check GPU temperatures?

pmilleroly27

Honorable
May 29, 2012

I just download a programs called CPUID Hardware Monitor and got a little different result then from my BIOS. My three cores are at 20 C according to the programs and my GPU is 29 C is bit high, but I do game a good amount. In AMD VISION Engine Control Center my CPU speed is at 3300 MHZ which say its 100% maximum. I think this might be the problem. I can change it too, 2600 mhz at 78%, 2100 mhz at 63%, 800 mhz at 24%. Let me know what you think.

randomkid

Distinguished
What is the exact model of your AMD triple core processor 3.3 ghz ?

If you have not done any overclocking, then your processor must be Athlon II X3 455.
At 3300Mhz it should be ok because that is the stock. But if do not have the Athlon II X3 455 & have another 4xx or Phenom II X3 7xx, then it means your processor is overclocked.

Please confirm what is your processor with exact number.

randomkid

Distinguished

What was your Catalyst version when you started having this problem?

randomkid

Distinguished
I am equally perplexed at your problem. I see no reason for it seeing that nothing is out of order. The 1-4 times a week random crash is not too bad, I guess. But if you are bothered by it it guess it is worthwhile to check you RAM too seeing that you have 16GB of them which could be 2 or 4 sticks.

Solution

fantastik250

Distinguished
It would most likely be the 1GB of memory of the video card. You may want only keep one program open at a time. Especially programs that use your graphics card such as watching videos that uses hardware acceleration as well as playing a game at the same time.

pmilleroly27

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Ya, I guess that means I should stay away from double dipping with youtube music and games, but regardless my GPU still crashes randomly. On a good note I just found out how to over-scan my display so I can use resolution 1920x1080 rather then 1680x1050. I hate these random unexplained problems. Reminds of my moms car which has died randomly will driving 1-4 times in the last 2 years. The car technicians can't find a thing.

t33rev

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I am having the same exact issue as you and I have the very same graphics card. Someone told me I should try using the display drivers from www.omegadrivers.net I am installing these drivers right now. Hopefully, it will fix it, but I've tried almost everything. I will update if there is any progress

GoonSwarmer

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.. this is a registry error.. here's the fix: I use GeForce graphics.. since win Vista and Win 7 the registry has been defaulted.. all you have to do is edit the registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ and set the RTD Value to '0' - this disables and bypasses the RTD.. thus ignoring the hangtime and therefore making it a non-issue.. the 'hang' is ignored and bypassed by the graphics card

GoonSwarmer

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
The 'crash' is caused because the driver settting is allotted a certain amount of time to address the issue.. before you get black-screened.. bu setting the value to '0' you disable that feature.. allowing your graphics to ignore the hang entirely

Jakedel

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

How do I set the RTD Value to 0 ? I dont see that option in graphics drivers

GoonSwarmer

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Sorry for my delayed reply. To set the value to 0 run regedit and follow the the path to graphics. you will see something like this:
Name: (Default) Type: REG_SZ Data: (Value not set) right click on that default and change the value to 0 (Modify)

Remember to save the setting and then reboot. This will not cause system instability because the video card is a plug and play device.
NOTE: When you run Windows Updates and nVidia updates the driver for your video card, it will reset the new value by default so you will need to change it back to 0. If you have any other questions you can reach me via email at PSTURGILL@live.com

Status
Not open for further replies.