Super cheapo mobo/cpu upgrade

ComradeTony

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Looking for some advice on whether I should upgrade in this situation or try to squeeze out an entire new build.

This is what I'm currently running

MOBO: Asus M4A78LT-M LE
CPU: Athlon X2 245
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1033
VIDEO: GTX 550ti 1GB
HD: 500GB 7200 RPM Seagate

I'm looking to get back into playing BF3 at something around medium settings. I also would like to be able to play Total War: Shogun 2, Mechwarrior Online and Planetside 2 and some other upcoming games at reasonable settings.

I'd like to spend no more than 200 dollars to possibly get to this point. This socket AM3 board is limited to a 95W CPU and I figure the best option I would have is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible as I am a broke college student and spending anymore than this on gaming at the moment would just be silly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
G

not really . .you have a few telling you a PIIx4, the best your motherboard can support, is the way to go . .another who is an intel person and one goof ball that is telling you to unlock a core that hasn't been able to be unlocked for a year now . . .

get the 945 you'll be happy . .just from where?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
The video card is fine, and honestly just get a triple core Athlon and unlock the 4th core and L3 cache. It would be about a $70 upgrade... But your current system should be able to handle BF3 at least at medium settings...

ComradeTony

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I should have added that I'm playing on a 1600x900 monitor and have a solid OCZ 500W PSU. Not sure what other information to include as this is my first time asking for advice here. Would simply adding an X3 Athlon that I've seen on newegg such as this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo be a solid holdover until I can afford a new build in about two months?

I'm only looking for something to hold me over until a build, not a permanent upgrade.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
If you are going to get a Phenom just get the Athlon X3 equilivent... then unlock the 4th core and L3 cache... you will save $40... That is why they dont make the Phenoms any more, cause people can just get a Athlon and unlock it.

obsama1

Distinguished
No. Must people buying AMD are getting the Phenom II x4/x6. Go to your local Microcenter if you have one, and get the Phenom II x4 for $60. New architecture, more cache, better performance. The 550Ti is a bit weak, so sell it, and get a 6850/6870.

G

not really . .you have a few telling you a PIIx4, the best your motherboard can support, is the way to go . .another who is an intel person and one goof ball that is telling you to unlock a core that hasn't been able to be unlocked for a year now . . .

get the 945 you'll be happy . .just from where?

Solution

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

The high end i5 and i7's will perform better, but 1 is it that big of a difference and 2 does it really matter at that point, most of the time its the difference between 70fps and 75fps... its not like one is playable and one is not.

ComradeTony

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
So it seems like the Phenom is the safest bet? The BIOS on this mobo does have some OC ability but wouldn't unlocking one of the Athlons cause it to possibly draw more power than the 95W?

G

yes the phenom is the safest bet. when it comes to possibly unlocking an AIIx3 you need a bios that supports unlocking AND there is still no guarantee it will work so you could end up wasting your money.

TRENDING THREADS