Solution idea to battleground wait times

I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
aren't enough Horde gamers interested. You could think up a lot of
incentives to get more of them to play, but that will never give you a
50:50 ratio of players waiting in line.

So, why not allow players of both factions to optionally choose "I wanna
be a traitor"? If there are enough opponents you'll still fight for your
side. If there aren't, some "traitors" will just work for the other side
to get enough people for both teams.

I know this will pose some problems that have to be adressed. Traitors
must not be able to talk to their own faction while being traitor. There
also must be a way for the side they now fight for to kick them (and
possibly ban them for some time from playing traitor) if they botch
their jobs on purpose. And, of course, you won't gain faction while
being a traitor - it's just for the fun.

All these problems might bee too much for the designers, so here's an
alternative:

Instead of just having Horde vs. Alliance matches, take two neutral
factions recruiting mercenaries. Players may join whichever side they
wish. Of course, again only communication with your team should be
allowed as long as you are in the battleground. We wouldn't even need
two competing factions - just put in some neutral arena where everyone
can fight CTF / Assault / whatever!

Not sure I like the traitor idea, it might be a bit too far-fetched for
the game world if each match has 5 supposed Alliance traitors.

I like the alternative though, perhaps if you decide to become
affiliated with the Argent Dawn faction for example you could become a
'mercenary' and are put on whichever side needs more players, with a
max limit on the number of mercs.

Instead of gaining reputation or honour points, a gold amount could be
'won' for your services. The Argent Dawn could have their own Officers
Quarters where some unique cross-faction armour could be purchased with
a very mercenary design!

Baruch, Rogue for Hire

But Blizzard should really have got the Alliance:Horde ratio better.

Jürgen wrote:
> I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
> times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
> aren't enough Horde gamers interested...

Until now! My wife and I just rolled our first Horde characters last
night with the specific goal to help address the Battlegrounds
imbalance on our realm. I'm sure other people are doing it now. (By
the way, Horde are still owning on our realm, but the reason we're
doing it is really to just get past the long queues.)

That said, I do like your neutral faction mercenary idea.
Battlegrounds is a distinct and special part of the game, and I see no
problem with bending the faction rules there as long as it doesn't
break immersion.
--
*** In World of Warcraft (North America Realms) ***
Gavvyn, Human Paladin on Earthen Ring <Shadow Brigade>

roll a horde toon

"Jürgen" <thanks@no.spam.needed> wrote in message
> I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
> times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
> aren't enough Horde gamers interested. You could think up a lot of
> incentives to get more of them to play, but that will never give you a
> 50:50 ratio of players waiting in line.
>
> So, why not allow players of both factions to optionally choose "I wanna
> be a traitor"? If there are enough opponents you'll still fight for your
> side. If there aren't, some "traitors" will just work for the other side
> to get enough people for both teams.
>
> I know this will pose some problems that have to be adressed. Traitors
> must not be able to talk to their own faction while being traitor. There
> also must be a way for the side they now fight for to kick them (and
> possibly ban them for some time from playing traitor) if they botch
> their jobs on purpose. And, of course, you won't gain faction while
> being a traitor - it's just for the fun.
>
> All these problems might bee too much for the designers, so here's an
> alternative:
>
> Instead of just having Horde vs. Alliance matches, take two neutral
> factions recruiting mercenaries. Players may join whichever side they
> wish. Of course, again only communication with your team should be
> allowed as long as you are in the battleground. We wouldn't even need
> two competing factions - just put in some neutral arena where everyone
> can fight CTF / Assault / whatever!

Jürgen ytrede sig i <Xns967774A44694CHoladaholaraio@195.58.170.227> med
dette:

>I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
>times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
>aren't enough Horde gamers interested. You could think up a lot of
>incentives to get more of them to play, but that will never give you a
>50:50 ratio of players waiting in line.

I think the long waiting time for Alliance players is a great incentive
for the best of them to pick the good side instead.

When I say the best of them, it's because they'll be the fastest to
raise their chars to the needed levels for Warsong BG, thus helping out
with solving the Alliance problem faster.

It might also force more of the Alliance players to learn how to work
their chars, so we don't all the time meet Alliance players, trying to
do PvP as PvE.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

Umm, the one problem with your post is say "here simply aren't enough Horde
gamers interested". That's completely and utterly false. The problem is the
that are FAR more alliance players than horde players. So if you want to
reduce your wait time, re-roll a horde toon. I play on a high population PvP
server as horde and the longest wait is 20 minutes but usually far less.

"Jürgen" <thanks@no.spam.needed> wrote in message
> I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
> times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
> aren't enough Horde gamers interested. You could think up a lot of
> incentives to get more of them to play, but that will never give you a
> 50:50 ratio of players waiting in line.
>
> So, why not allow players of both factions to optionally choose "I wanna
> be a traitor"? If there are enough opponents you'll still fight for your
> side. If there aren't, some "traitors" will just work for the other side
> to get enough people for both teams.
>
> I know this will pose some problems that have to be adressed. Traitors
> must not be able to talk to their own faction while being traitor. There
> also must be a way for the side they now fight for to kick them (and
> possibly ban them for some time from playing traitor) if they botch
> their jobs on purpose. And, of course, you won't gain faction while
> being a traitor - it's just for the fun.
>
> All these problems might bee too much for the designers, so here's an
> alternative:
>
> Instead of just having Horde vs. Alliance matches, take two neutral
> factions recruiting mercenaries. Players may join whichever side they
> wish. Of course, again only communication with your team should be
> allowed as long as you are in the battleground. We wouldn't even need
> two competing factions - just put in some neutral arena where everyone
> can fight CTF / Assault / whatever!

I know I could reroll. Actually, I got a L20 Tauren Warrior. But that's
no general solution - on PvE, there are much worse imbalances between
Alliance and Horde, and not everyone will reroll just to play
Battlegrounds. Why should we have to? On the same logic, it would not be
a problem if a bug caused hunters to be unable to shoot at all, because
everyone could reroll and play a different class.

It is difficult to find solutions that most people can live with (while
still having fun). Still, some neutral faction might be a nice idea that
will allow players to keep their toons and still partake in
battlegrounds without having to wait for umpteen hours (and yes, I'v had
waiting times of 5+ hours).

This idea may never see realization - having been a game developer
myself in the past I know that there may be limits to what can be done
that we have no idea of, because they just can't be fit into the basic
rules set that's invisible beneath what we as players see. Still, it
might be an idea that some developers base a aolution on.

One more thing - WoW is huge, in all regards. All changes will take
several weeks of testing even if they can be easily implemented. And all
such changes have to be reviewed in advance on whatever those crazy
players will do to exploit them. Thus, we unfortunatly have to be pretty
patient.

No1uNo wrote:
> Umm, the one problem with your post is say "here simply aren't enough
> Horde gamers interested". That's completely and utterly false. The
> problem is the that are FAR more alliance players than horde players.
> So if you want to reduce your wait time, re-roll a horde toon. I play
> on a high population PvP server as horde and the longest wait is 20
> minutes but usually far less.

You think maybe the two just might be related? I mean, I know it's near
blasphemny to suggest it, but still... Maybe if you made the hoard such that
more people would want to play, there would be fewer alliance players? Just
a suggestion.

Jürgen wrote:
> I know I could reroll. Actually, I got a L20 Tauren Warrior. But
> that's no general solution - on PvE, there are much worse imbalances
> between Alliance and Horde, and not everyone will reroll just to play
> Battlegrounds. Why should we have to? On the same logic, it would not
> be a problem if a bug caused hunters to be unable to shoot at all,
> because everyone could reroll and play a different class.
>
> It is difficult to find solutions that most people can live with
> (while still having fun). Still, some neutral faction might be a nice
> idea that will allow players to keep their toons and still partake in
> battlegrounds without having to wait for umpteen hours (and yes, I'v
> had waiting times of 5+ hours).
>
> This idea may never see realization - having been a game developer
> myself in the past I know that there may be limits to what can be done
> that we have no idea of, because they just can't be fit into the basic
> rules set that's invisible beneath what we as players see. Still, it
> might be an idea that some developers base a aolution on.

It's a possiblity. I still think the best idea is the introduction of one
new race on each side (for balance purposes) would be the solution. Say
half-elves for the alliance and dark elves (not night elves) for the horde.
As it is, WoW is kind of lacking on classes and races. Better than L2, but
far lower than EQ. Adding more variety is never a bad thing, and it
shouldn't be too hard to weave them into the existing fabric. Of all the
solutions, it's possibly the easiest one, and has no real drawbacks (unless
you consider the desire among some of the horde players to have all ugly,
all the time). In other words, it's fairly stupid not to give it a try.

> One more thing - WoW is huge, in all regards. All changes will take
> several weeks of testing even if they can be easily implemented. And
> all such changes have to be reviewed in advance on whatever those
> crazy players will do to exploit them. Thus, we unfortunatly have to
> be pretty patient.

Patience is alot easier when you know they're working on a solution, as
opposed to just ignoring the problem.

No1uNo wrote:
> Umm, the one problem with your post is say "here simply aren't enough Horde
> gamers interested". That's completely and utterly false. The problem is the
> that are FAR more alliance players than horde players.

i.e. there simply aren't enough Horde gamers interested. Where "enough"
equals "enough to balance the vast number of Alliance players". There
simply aren't enough.

Cheers!
David...

"Jürgen" <thanks@no.spam.needed> wrote in message
> I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
> times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
> aren't enough Horde gamers interested. You could think up a lot of
> incentives to get more of them to play, but that will never give you a
> 50:50 ratio of players waiting in line.

The only reason I don't go there any more is because it takes too long to
get there just to place yourself in the queue. So you go off questing in
the meantime then get summoned all way over from Stranglethorn Vale to find
out you only have 3 players on your team and that the battle will 'end in 4
minutes'! Then you have to trek all the way back again.

The solution is to place a queue joining points in capital cities. Also
when the a battle is over you should be returned to wherever you got
summoned from, remaining in the queue.

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Gaz" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> "Jürgen" <thanks@no.spam.needed> wrote in message
>> I've been playing some Warsong BG since it arrived, and the waiting
>> times have often been many hours because I'm Alliance and there simply
>> aren't enough Horde gamers interested. You could think up a lot of
>> incentives to get more of them to play, but that will never give you a
>> 50:50 ratio of players waiting in line.
>>

> The only reason I don't go there any more is because it takes too long to get
> there just to place yourself in the queue. So you go off questing in the
> meantime then get summoned all way over from Stranglethorn Vale to find out
> you only have 3 players on your team and that the battle will 'end in 4
> minutes'! Then you have to trek all the way back again.
>
> The solution is to place a queue joining points in capital cities. Also when
> the a battle is over you should be returned to wherever you got summoned from,
> remaining in the queue.

I definately agree with that...there is no point going all the way to the queue,
flying back to where I was grinding/questing, getting summoned to the
battlegrounds just as I get back, and having to fly back out there again.