Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • At&T
  • DSL
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 12, 2011 4:55:13 AM

Hey All,

I'm looking for some advice as to what to do; I currently live in a fairly-large apartment in Downtown San Francisco and as you can probably imagine, I have ALOT of interference with nearby residential and business wifi's, microwave's, cell-phones and all that jazz.

I currently have the ATT Elite DSL package, which is I believe the 6MBPS(?) package? Anyway, it's the $40 package and I want to say it's either the second or third up from the basic 19.95/month subscription. Here's my problem: ever since I moved into this building, I get signal drops on my ATT all the time--like at least once an hour if not more often. I had a technician check the wiring and he even replaced the router box (they always do) in hopes of improving the situation but so far, no dice.

I have tried switching to different channels after using scanning to see what channels other internet users nearby were using, but I did not see any improvement.

The best solution I've been able to come up with is to set my router to be on 802.11B only. For the most part, I have not disconnected but I do feel a certain amount of slow-down or lag compared to my 802.11G settings. Now, I might be paranoid but it certainly does take a good amount of time longer to load up pages and such as compared to previously.

The tech suggested I look towards getting an 802.11A/N router, but alas ATT does not support routers of that caliber...not sure why. It's been years and they're still stuck with the 2Wire 2701HG-B model for DSL.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? Should I drop the money on an ADSL Router with A/N support? It seems like these models are fairly pricey, ranging usually above $100USD.

More about : att dsl constant signal drops

September 23, 2011 7:36:00 AM

Hayde said:
Hey All,

I'm looking for some advice as to what to do; I currently live in a fairly-large apartment in Downtown San Francisco and as you can probably imagine, I have ALOT of interference with nearby residential and business wifi's, microwave's, cell-phones and all that jazz.

I currently have the ATT Elite DSL package, which is I believe the 6MBPS(?) package? Anyway, it's the $40 package and I want to say it's either the second or third up from the basic 19.95/month subscription. Here's my problem: ever since I moved into this building, I get signal drops on my ATT all the time--like at least once an hour if not more often. I had a technician check the wiring and he even replaced the router box (they always do) in hopes of improving the situation but so far, no dice.

I have tried switching to different channels after using scanning to see what channels other internet users nearby were using, but I did not see any improvement.

The best solution I've been able to come up with is to set my router to be on 802.11B only. For the most part, I have not disconnected but I do feel a certain amount of slow-down or lag compared to my 802.11G settings. Now, I might be paranoid but it certainly does take a good amount of time longer to load up pages and such as compared to previously.

The tech suggested I look towards getting an 802.11A/N router, but alas ATT does not support routers of that caliber...not sure why. It's been years and they're still stuck with the 2Wire 2701HG-B model for DSL.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? Should I drop the money on an ADSL Router with A/N support? It seems like these models are fairly pricey, ranging usually above $100USD.

I do agree that at&t only dsl modem router is the 2701hg-b and the business modem motorola 3347...both are bad products..but I found out that at&t will be getting 3 new products that offer their services...

a PACE 4111N wireless gateway...dsl modem/router combo..which is meant to replace the 2701hg-b
a netgear single user modem..
and another dsl modem combo the Netgear 7550 B90 wireless gateway that is new to their dsl service lineup..by the end of september...

this was stated during a at&t chat with me and support..I was looking to replace my outdated dying 2701hg-b and they told me to wait for the new products...
Its disappointing how at&t dont support other modem and routers such as netgear,buffulo,d-link,etc. through their own services.
m
l
September 23, 2011 10:00:08 PM

For the mean time you can try to DMZ one port to another wireless router and see if you still get the drops?

I just got att service and their 2wire routers/modem, wireless sucks bad, can't wait until they get a standalone modem so I can fully use my own router.

Example of whats happening on my system and this is 15-20ft away, If I do a speed test on their servers my bit rate gets cut in half for wireless but if I plug it directly to the router/modem I get full bit rate?

For my case I am DMZ'ing one port to my own router and using that as wireless, well.. will be using wireless, because I have not set it up, yet. We just got done testing this morning. I let you know if it does not work, but I am thinking the culprit is the wireless on their router.
m
l
!