Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a 400+watt PSU for computer.

Last response: in Components
December 3, 2012 12:34:20 AM

Hey guys,

I'm not extremely computer literate, I'm actually buying a computer from newegg as a present for a medium-end gamer who only plays about once a month on games like Team Fortress 2, League of Legends and a plethora of other steam games so as far as I know the graphics card is fine, but I've read reviews saying that the 300w psu for this computer is trash, and I don't have time to build a computer as time is a factor in this purchase unfortunately. The one thing I can do is upgrade the PSU before I wrap this computer up and gift it because I don't want to have any problems with it, but from what I've read it's somewhat difficult to find a power supply that has enough molex adapters. I just wanted to ask the TH community (since you guys seem both polite and quite knowledgeable) what a decent 400 to 450 power supply would be for this computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I currently cannot have the card, mobo, processor, or ram upgraded but this should suffice for the individual in question for at least a year or two so they can have fun upgrading it themselves (since it is fun to them). I'd like to keep the price range between $0-$50 but if there's something that's immensely worth it in the $60 range I wouldn't mind spending a little more money, but $100+ is out of the question unfortunately. I'm just trying to make this Christmas worthwhile, and thank each and every one of you in advanced for your help.

More about : 400 watt psu computer

December 3, 2012 12:50:27 AM

Thanks for the quick and direct response, but would I have to purchase any adapters or anything to make sure everything connects properly or should it be fine to install this right out of the gate? Thank you again for the speed of your response!
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2012 3:53:15 AM

jrayx said:
This corsair ones are great PSU for the price:
Corsair CX 430
Corsair CX 500

Besides a they have a rebate. Any of those PSU's are great.

Would either of these work with the loadout of the computer? I haven't seen any cons so far as the motherboard and connecting everything to the psu, but should either corsair suffice without having to buy any adapters? (Sorry, I'm really ignorant on the topic.) And thanks for the response as well as the rebate find!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 4:08:30 AM

NostalgiaRocks said:
Would either of these work with the loadout of the computer? I haven't seen any cons so far as the motherboard and connecting everything to the psu, but should either corsair suffice without having to buy any adapters? (Sorry, I'm really ignorant on the topic.) And thanks for the response as well as the rebate find!

Yes, those PSU's will handle the system load (With room to spare). No adapters at all, the Power supply has all the necessary connectors (The 8 Pin EPS, the 24 Pin for the motherboard, enough Molex and SATA for future upgrades like Hard Drives)
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 8:47:56 PM

The Rosewill Capstone-450 is definitely worth the extra over the Corsair CX430, CX500, etc IMO.
m
l
!