Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU and RAM Speeds

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 12:52:01 AM

Hi!
Came here to get help from you guys to understand the thing between CPU and RAM clock speeds.

If I use a CPU with 1600Mhz and use a ram with 1333Mhz I know that the CPU would also run at 1333Mhz. Is there a real advantage in matching these speeds? I have seen people install ram cards as CPU 1600Mhz and Ram 1333 or even less and they seem to ignore the numbers..

Thanks in advance..

More about : cpu ram speeds

a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 1:01:27 AM

First of all, what do you mean by "I use a CPU with 1600Mhz" ?! :) 

Most CPU's can support RAM speeds @1333MHz these days. AMD FX chips support upto 1866MHz and Intel IB chip support RAM upto 1600MHz.

Frankly speaking, except for AMD's APU's, RAM speed doesn't affect performance by any significant margin for most tasks. However, what is more important is Memory timings.

A 1333MHz rated RAM with CAS timings of #7 is definately better than 1300MHz RAM with a CAS timing of #10. That's the reason why such chips are a bit costlier too.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 1:04:11 AM

Did you mean the CPU supports the ram speed of 1600mhz? But you use 2 modules that equal 1333 mhz? I believe the difference between 1600 and 1333 is very small you can barely tell the difference. The only time I see the difference is in benchmark numbers. So in my opinion not really much of an advantage in matching the max ram speed for a processor when its that small.
Related resources
December 3, 2012 1:12:44 AM

Yes, the CPU supports 1600Mhz ram speed. When the CPU supports a given RAM speed and assuming the RAM is 1600Mhz (CAS) 9-9-9-24 will it make a difference if I install a 1333Mhz Ram with the same timing? Running a RAM at 1600Mhz voided someone's CPU warrenty here on tom's hardware when his mobo and CPU died.

Also is there a real advantage in using RAM heatsinks?

Thank you..

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 1:17:53 AM

IMHO there is barely a difference to 1333mhz and 1600mhz. It's fine with either ram modules, go for whatever is cheaper and that usually is 1600mhz. I have heard that Intel has voided warranty for people with 1600mhz ram but I don't think there is any way they can tell you were running that ram module at that speed. Best if you don't mention that to them....

Anyways ram heatsinks are not necessary in my opinion. The ram should do just fine without the heatsink at those normal frequencies, now if were talking about overclocking the ram to such things like 2000+ then the heatsink might actually have a purpose. Though for 1600 and 1333, no heatsink needed. I find that heatsinks are too much of a burden since you have to worry about it touching the heatsink (CPU). Either way heatsinks are so common now a days so it doesn't really matter, preferably get low profile ram.
December 3, 2012 2:51:54 AM

Best answer selected by dienan47.
December 3, 2012 2:54:25 AM

Thanks for the information guys. Now I'll be able to understand the numbers much better..

Have a nice day!
!