Sign in with
Your question

Random restarts

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2012 2:13:55 AM

Hey guys,

I recently bought a system off a guy on CL (should have known right?). Anyway the build will randomly fail (usually without a BSOD, every once in a while a BS with just a simple "Hardware Failure" message). It will restart itself (even though I have automatic restarts turned off).

I have tested the RAM using Memtest twice and both times they passed. My hard drive DOES sound like an old early nineties hard drive while writing and seeking, but other than that, I dont see/hear a problem. When the computer restarts, I dont hear anything at all that sounds like something has failed. I dont know of any other way to test the other components. CPU (cores between 25 and 30) and MB temps are great so its not a heat problem.

Any ideas? I would be happy to answer any questions too.

System Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx (older version of the BIOS [1102], I will be updating it soon)
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) of DDR3 Patriot
HD0: WD Raptor 74GB (made in 05)
HD1: WD 320GB
Media Drive: Sony Blueray burner
Video Card: 2x Egva GeForce 8800GT
PS: OCZ 600W (which is brand new)

More about : random restarts

a b B Homebuilt system
July 22, 2012 2:48:27 AM

use cpu-z and check the ram speed and timing.see if it matches up to the spd info. try one video card and run the wd tools or smart tools and check your hardware.(HARD DRIVE).
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:07:23 PM

smorizio said:
use cpu-z and check the ram speed and timing.see if it matches up to the spd info. try one video card and run the wd tools or smart tools and check your hardware.(HARD DRIVE).

THe ram speed and timing are all correct. Tonight I will try only one video card tonight and see if its that. I am also using a different hard drive and its still happening. We will see
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2012 2:55:34 AM

I remember a problem like this before and I think the problem was either a faulty mobo, PSU, or not updated... update all of your stuff off the website including your bios if this does not help run this test

mobo website
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...
(be sure to download all the updates for win7 and get the newest versions update your chipset first)

Burnintest(download the standard eddition its free)
http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

also check your hdd
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-...

if all else fails make sure the psu fan

Hope this helps :na: 
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:16:26 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
I remember a problem like this before and I think the problem was either a faulty mobo, PSU, or not updated... update all of your stuff off the website including your bios if this does not help run this test

mobo website
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...
(be sure to download all the updates for win7 and get the newest versions update your chipset first)

Burnintest(download the standard eddition its free)
http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

also check your hdd
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-...

if all else fails make sure the psu fan

Hope this helps :na: 

I have all of the updated software, and I know it is not my HD. I HOPE it isnt my mobo or processor.

I dont seem to be getting any BSODs nor any memdumps to look at. Could it be a faulty PSU? Mine is brand new BUT with the randomness of the restarts and no BSOD to look at, I think it could be a possibility. It is 600W and I have upgraded my graphics card last week. It also will sometimes not wake up from sleep and I have to turn off the computer, switch off the PSU, and unplug it for 5 minutes before I can boot up the computer properly again (if I dont, it will just sit there with the fans running but no other boot activity). Do I need more than 600W?

System:
Asus Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard
AMD Athlon II x4 620
8GB (4x2GB) Patriot Ram
Evga Geforce 280 GTX
Sony Blu-Ray
1 WD Sata HD
Tenga Wireless Card
OCZ 600W PS
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 8, 2012 2:12:34 AM

hmm... you should not need any more than that if it is still under waranty try and get it replaced because that does really sound like your psu is faulty... also when you run the burnintest does everything pass without error?

oh and try this on the psu multiple times just to check if it works and is cosistant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

really hope this helps... also if atcually could be the graphics card too considering that it is just not showing a display have you tried it again with your old card?
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:23:11 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
hmm... you should not need any more than that if it is still under waranty try and get it replaced because that does really sound like your psu is faulty... also when you run the burnintest does everything pass without error?

oh and try this on the psu multiple times just to check if it works and is cosistant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

really hope this helps... also if atcually could be the graphics card too considering that it is just not showing a display have you tried it again with your old card?

First, thank you everyone for your help. I swear I know what I am doing, but this is the first time that a build has a problem I couldnt pinpoint! lol

Anywho, the PSU is under 30 days old so I will just exchange it (no big deal as I got it at Microcenter).

This has happened with both of my graphics cards so I dont think its the card.

I havent run burnintest, I will run it when I install the new PSU. I have run Memtest twice with no errors, and the HD I am using is one I have used for a couple years with no problems. I have been playing games on it (ArmaII with the DayZ mod!) and while playing I dont see anything that is faulty. I have also run the Vista 'rating' system many times without problem.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 8, 2012 2:48:46 AM

First off *** YES DAAAAAYYYZZZ... sorry got a little excited :p  love that game have at least 200 hours in the past month :D 

and ok dont end the thread until you get your new psu and hope that is the problem because that is an easy fix... I just personally hate to return unless you got it from a store because I just had to replace my hdd because of if not being able to read the OS :(  but that too two weeks of not being able to use my computer! again hope that the new psu works :D 
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:53:16 PM

Replaced the PSU but it restarted on me when I was in the bathroom.

BurnInTest passed, so I looked at the event viewer and saw the following errors:

--The previous system shutdown at 10:25:03 AM on 8/9/2012 was unexpected
--Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown.
--Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

soooooo.....crap :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2012 10:35:20 PM

well it could atcually be a bad installation of windows try reinstalling windows... your data after choosing to install a new version will be saved in a file call windows.old so dont worry about losing your files... also you said that you have udpated your bios right?
m
l
August 9, 2012 10:49:52 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
well it could atcually be a bad installation of windows try reinstalling windows... your data after choosing to install a new version will be saved in a file call windows.old so dont worry about losing your files... also you said that you have udpated your bios right?

Thanks for the suggestion! I have contacted ASUS and explained my problem to technical support. They agree that it is the Motherboard that is failing and that I should fill out an RMA. HOPEFULLY this will solve the problem (though it will be a pain in the rear).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 3:26:04 AM

yeah i know completely had to wait 2 weeks to get my hdd back :D 
m
l
!