xD Card Formatting Needed?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 18, 2005 6:37:42 PM

As mentioned in another post, I have a new Fuji E550 digital camera,
and I noticed on the 256 card I bought for it, that the instructions
say to format it to your particular camera. It happens to be a Fuji
card as well, and I went ahead and used it anyway, without formatting,
and it took pictures and downloaded them to my pc, via card reader, and
also usb connection just fine. Why would the card instructions say to
format, when the camera and card work fine without this?

One thing, though I installed the Fuji software as instructed, before
connecting the camera to my XP pc, the software kept directing me to
the A drive (??) I kept ignoring this (it came up ~5 times) and then
the software said it had installed correctly. It also said it would
remove all previous Finepix software, which I wasn't too keen on, since
I still have a Fuji F601Z that uses SM cards (it's being repaired), so
I don't know what will happen when I try to connect the F601Z in terms
of software.

I also see in the instructions book that I'm supposed to get a Remove
Camaera Media window upon completing the transfer of pictures to my pc,
but I don't get any windows/messages at all. I just turn the power off
on the camera and disconnect the cord. I do remember though, that it
was very fussy removing the Fuji F601Z in terms of waiting for the "ok
to disconnect USB" window. Something about damaging the pc if you
didn't do all this in the right order(?)

More about : card formatting needed

August 19, 2005 12:23:46 AM

Weft2,

The reason that you really need to format the card on a regular basis is
because they like computer hard drives get fragmented and things get all
out of order which really over time will slow down the transfer rate
plus you risk getting corruption if it gets really bad. Plus formatting
in most cameras is quicker than deleting pics. I would recommend
formatting the card in the camera it will be used in--not on the
computer. Also, you should never pull a card while the file transfer is
in progress nor unplug the USB cables. That is a big NO NO ! Good luck.

weft2 wrote:

> As mentioned in another post, I have a new Fuji E550 digital camera,
> and I noticed on the 256 card I bought for it, that the instructions
> say to format it to your particular camera. It happens to be a Fuji
> card as well, and I went ahead and used it anyway, without formatting,
> and it took pictures and downloaded them to my pc, via card reader, and
> also usb connection just fine. Why would the card instructions say to
> format, when the camera and card work fine without this?
>
> One thing, though I installed the Fuji software as instructed, before
> connecting the camera to my XP pc, the software kept directing me to
> the A drive (??) I kept ignoring this (it came up ~5 times) and then
> the software said it had installed correctly. It also said it would
> remove all previous Finepix software, which I wasn't too keen on, since
> I still have a Fuji F601Z that uses SM cards (it's being repaired), so
> I don't know what will happen when I try to connect the F601Z in terms
> of software.
>
> I also see in the instructions book that I'm supposed to get a Remove
> Camaera Media window upon completing the transfer of pictures to my pc,
> but I don't get any windows/messages at all. I just turn the power off
> on the camera and disconnect the cord. I do remember though, that it
> was very fussy removing the Fuji F601Z in terms of waiting for the "ok
> to disconnect USB" window. Something about damaging the pc if you
> didn't do all this in the right order(?)

August 19, 2005 5:59:59 AM

weft2 wrote:
> As mentioned in another post, I have a new Fuji E550 digital camera,
> and I noticed on the 256 card I bought for it, that the instructions
> say to format it to your particular camera. It happens to be a Fuji
> card as well, and I went ahead and used it anyway, without formatting,
> and it took pictures and downloaded them to my pc, via card reader,
> and also usb connection just fine. Why would the card instructions
> say to format, when the camera and card work fine without this?

I don't know the answer to your question. I have never formatted a card
before use and never had any problems.
It may be that the Fuji XD card is ready for a fuji camera and they cannot
assume everyone will put the card into a fuji camera.
Related resources
August 19, 2005 5:59:59 AM

weft2 wrote:
> As mentioned in another post, I have a new Fuji E550 digital camera,
> and I noticed on the 256 card I bought for it, that the instructions
> say to format it to your particular camera. It happens to be a Fuji
> card as well, and I went ahead and used it anyway, without formatting,
> and it took pictures and downloaded them to my pc, via card reader,
> and also usb connection just fine. Why would the card instructions
> say to format, when the camera and card work fine without this?

I don't know the answer to your question. I have never formatted a card
before use and never had any problems.
It may be that the Fuji XD card is ready for a fuji camera and they cannot
assume everyone will put the card into a fuji camera.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:16:42 PM

Joey wrote:
> Weft2,
>
> The reason that you really need to format the card on a regular basis is
> because they like computer hard drives get fragmented and things get all
> out of order which really over time will slow down the transfer rate
> plus you risk getting corruption if it gets really bad. Plus formatting
> in most cameras is quicker than deleting pics. I would recommend
> formatting the card in the camera it will be used in--not on the
> computer. Also, you should never pull a card while the file transfer is
> in progress nor unplug the USB cables. That is a big NO NO ! Good luck.

Thanks for all the information. I wonder though, if I format it for the
Fuji E550 I presently have, if it will be able to be reformatted later
to any other camera I might get in the future (Fuji, Olympus, etc.)
that takes xD?

I did have a problem with some large SM cards I recently tried to use
on my very low res. Logitech Clicksmart webcam/stills camera. Around a
year ago, I had bought the cards and formatted them with my older Fuji
F601Z (now being repaired), and now I find that I can't erase the old
Fuji images I left on them while trying to use the Logitech camera. (I
have a 21-in-1 card reader, but I'm assuming you can't erase with that-
only read and transfer shots.)

The Logitech also seemed to refuse to take "higher quality" still shots
(not that you can get much out of the Logitech, at around .7 mpx) and
they all came up blank upon transfer. The lower res. would shoot &
transfer ok, but then, they were very poor quality as per the camera. I
don't know if that's related to the card issue. I also seem to recall
that DCMI (?) subfolder coming up after I formatted the SM cards with
the older Fuji.

> weft2 wrote:
>
> > As mentioned in another post, I have a new Fuji E550 digital camera,
> > and I noticed on the 256 card I bought for it, that the instructions
> > say to format it to your particular camera. It happens to be a Fuji
> > card as well, and I went ahead and used it anyway, without formatting,
> > and it took pictures and downloaded them to my pc, via card reader, and
> > also usb connection just fine. Why would the card instructions say to
> > format, when the camera and card work fine without this?
> >
> > One thing, though I installed the Fuji software as instructed, before
> > connecting the camera to my XP pc, the software kept directing me to
> > the A drive (??) I kept ignoring this (it came up ~5 times) and then
> > the software said it had installed correctly. It also said it would
> > remove all previous Finepix software, which I wasn't too keen on, since
> > I still have a Fuji F601Z that uses SM cards (it's being repaired), so
> > I don't know what will happen when I try to connect the F601Z in terms
> > of software.
> >
> > I also see in the instructions book that I'm supposed to get a Remove
> > Camaera Media window upon completing the transfer of pictures to my pc,
> > but I don't get any windows/messages at all. I just turn the power off
> > on the camera and disconnect the cord. I do remember though, that it
> > was very fussy removing the Fuji F601Z in terms of waiting for the "ok
> > to disconnect USB" window. Something about damaging the pc if you
> > didn't do all this in the right order(?)

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:13:24 PM

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
> weft2 wrote:
>> As mentioned in another post, I have a new Fuji E550 digital camera,
>> and I noticed on the 256 card I bought for it, that the instructions
>> say to format it to your particular camera. It happens to be a Fuji
>> card as well, and I went ahead and used it anyway, without formatting,
>> and it took pictures and downloaded them to my pc, via card reader,
>> and also usb connection just fine. Why would the card instructions
>> say to format, when the camera and card work fine without this?
>
> I don't know the answer to your question. I have never formatted a card
> before use and never had any problems.
> It may be that the Fuji XD card is ready for a fuji camera and they cannot
> assume everyone will put the card into a fuji camera.
The two canons I have, A40 and A95 do not require the cards to be formatted
in the camera, only that they be formatted, i.e. have a fat table and root
directory etc.
Canon will add some folders one of which is DCIM which will contain
subfolders of the actual images, the subfolder gets named using some
algorithm related to the file number.
When I purchased a card on vacation, I had the store owner install and check
the card since I wouldn't be able to return it if it didn't work. He said
the card didn't need to be formatted, he didn't format it and it worked
fine, so I assume sandisk at least format the card at the factory.
One last point, if you delete all the images on a card it will behave the
same as if the card was formatted, but formatting is quicker if erasing many
images.
Dave Cohen
!