Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 extreme edition 478

Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 5:59:05 AM

Hello,
What is the fastest and/or most powerful CPU for my Syntax S661M motherboard?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 6:55:10 AM

Probably nothing you can buy any more to be honest. Investing in a Pentium 4-based PC is a waste of time and money. You can get vastly superior hardware for very affordable prices.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 83 V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 8:05:54 AM

Since it uses the SiS 661FX / 963L chipset, its performace sucked when it was new.

Spend £100 and get yourself a cpu+motherboard+memory deal from an online retailer which will stomp all over your current system.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:33:06 AM

You're a fan of 478 CPUs? I use one today because I strongly enjoy computer restoration, and the result. To be honest, since it is 478, all you can get is Northwood - which is only so good. I mean, 3.4GHz with HTT is the fastest you can get but you can't overclock it really, if you're aware of Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome. If anything, I'd save your money, invest in a new motherboard with a Presler Pentium D or a Cedar Mill Pentium 4 - must better performance, 64 bit support, and Intel SpeedStep.
m
l
December 3, 2012 9:25:06 AM

payturr said:
xD Come on man we're talking about classic processing, yes that would be a massive improvement but he's curious about his own socket 478 motherboard

I know, but I find it hard to accept these things - Socket 478 was around before I even got interested in computers :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:23:03 PM

Flightsimluke said:
I know, but I find it hard to accept these things - Socket 478 was around before I even got interested in computers :D 

Dude, you have NO idea how sweet socket 478 is xD I'm 16 and I'm in love with my Pentium 4
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 9:27:52 PM

Pentium 4's were crap in thier hayday and they are still crap today. They ran to hot and netburst microarhitecture was slow. As Herr said at this point it is pointless to throw money at such an old computer, you can get a computer based around an H77 motherboard, Pentium G or I3 and 8 gigs of RAM for pretty cheap.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:34:17 PM

rds1220 said:
Pentium 4's were crap in thier hayday and they are still crap today. They ran to hot and netburst microarhitecture was slow. As Herr said at this point it is pointless to throw money at such an old computer, you can get a computer based around an H77 motherboard, Pentium G or I3 and 8 gigs of RAM for pretty cheap.

Cool down there hot stuff - the Northwood Pentium 4 was a GOOD processor. It wasn't as good as lets say an Athlon 64, but it was very solid and smooth for its time. Further more, this guy MAY just want to do a retro system - plenty of people are into retro computing, maybe he wants a P4X for his collection. And trust me - I'm using a P4 system to talk to you people, there's nothing sluggish about this computer at all. This thing purrs for what it is! Yeah it's nothing next to an i3 - but, again, he may just want a retro rig.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:40:48 PM

Well I mean, he wants a processor for the socket, I'm just helping best I can. Also, heat isn't an issue for me - my PC actually came with a full copper heat sink, and when I say that I mean copper fins, and I'm using Arctic Silver 5, its running pretty cool - I don't even hear it xD
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2012 10:12:25 PM

payturr said:
Cool down there hot stuff - the Northwood Pentium 4 was a GOOD processor. It wasn't as good as lets say an Athlon 64, but it was very solid and smooth for its time. Further more, this guy MAY just want to do a retro system - plenty of people are into retro computing, maybe he wants a P4X for his collection. And trust me - I'm using a P4 system to talk to you people, there's nothing sluggish about this computer at all. This thing purrs for what it is! Yeah it's nothing next to an i3 - but, again, he may just want a retro rig.

No it wasn't not even close The Pentium 4 was one of the worst CPU's to be put onto the market. It sucked power like water being sucked down a drain. It ran way to hot even at stock and it's crappy microarchitecture was slow. The Pentium 4 got stomped by AMD's Athlon which caused Intel to abandon Netburst and go to core. The sad thing s that even though AMD had the better processor they couldn't keep up with Intel's sales. If he already has this computer and wants to upgrade than it's a waste of money throwing money into such an old computer. If he just want's to build it for fun fine but I wouldn't.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 10:24:07 PM

Yeah but the Pentium M was just a Pentium III which meant, although power efficiency, the performance was alright - again, we're losing track of the thread. This isn't to discuss whats the best CPU of the time, it's just about a man looking to use his motherboard, gentlemen.
m
l
February 2, 2013 7:56:03 PM

jbaylessmusic said:
Hello,
What is the fastest and/or most powerful CPU for my Syntax S661M motherboard?

m
l
February 2, 2013 7:57:16 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Probably nothing you can buy any more to be honest. Investing in a Pentium 4-based PC is a waste of time and money. You can get vastly superior hardware for very affordable prices.

thanks
m
l
!