3770 running way past spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
Hey, everyone, I built my new system last week (all new components except case & optical drive). I just noticed tonight, pushing the system a bit with some 3D rendering, that the 3770 (not the 3770K, no overclocking) is regularly at 4.17-4.21, and at one point was up around 4.4Ghz.

Should this worry me? I do have a good OCZ Gold 850 watt power supply, so plenty of headroom there. Motherboard is the GA-Z77X-UD3H.

Solution
RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=53

Run RealTemp, go into the Options and turn on the Log File feature. Reduce the monitoring interval from 5 seconds to 1 second. Click on OK when you are done, minimize it to the task bar or system tray and go play some games.

When you are done playing, exit the game and then exit RealTemp. The log file will contain a very accurate record of what MHz your CPU was running at. For accurate results, turn off your other monitoring apps.

The Core i7-3770K has a fully unlocked multiplier which can be adjusted for overclocking. The regular Core i7-3770 also has a multiplier that can be adjusted higher but the range of adjustment is much more limited compared to the 3770K...

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
The BIOS showed 3.9 when I set it up (which is of course what it's rated at) as well as when I've been in since, and I've never changed anything, since it's not an overclockable chip and I'm not an overclocker, anyway. (Can't look now, because I've got a huge download that needs to complete.)

Someone told me that Ivy Bridge tended to be like that, but I wouldn't have expected the numbers to be that far over spec.

Sonophos

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I'm not sure if it still happens but in the old days Intel occasionally shipped downgraded processors but it may be that the clock speed is being registered incorrectly. Check your BIOS and keep an eye on your temperatures.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=53

Run RealTemp, go into the Options and turn on the Log File feature. Reduce the monitoring interval from 5 seconds to 1 second. Click on OK when you are done, minimize it to the task bar or system tray and go play some games.

When you are done playing, exit the game and then exit RealTemp. The log file will contain a very accurate record of what MHz your CPU was running at. For accurate results, turn off your other monitoring apps.

The Core i7-3770K has a fully unlocked multiplier which can be adjusted for overclocking. The regular Core i7-3770 also has a multiplier that can be adjusted higher but the range of adjustment is much more limited compared to the 3770K CPUs.

You can also run the RealTemp - XS Bench test. This is a single threaded benchmark so while this test is running, your CPU should be near its maximum speed. Can you post a screen shot of that while the test is in progress?

Solution

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
A thing with processors is they aren't always accurately read - I once owned a Pentium machine, the speeds could go up to 2400MHz but it's a 2100MHz CPU - it could be read inaccurately or it could just be a quick lapse of a clockspeed jump, what's your temps though? And what do you use for cooling?

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
unclewebb, I downloaded RealTemp. No need to play games; I've got high-quality high-demand 3D rendering going on, so load is 100%.

I guess I'm within reason. Temps are running 80-85C @ 100% load. The XS Bench score is 855 in 17.110 seconds; measured speed is 3703.65Mhz. (The log file shows the same.)

I was just looking at the numbers in Windows 8's Task Manager before. I guess it's not hugely accurate.

Re cooling: everything is air, three fans (one on the power supply, one on the CPU, and one on the back of the unit, sorry I don't have sizes offhand).

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
The MHz number in Windows 8 has a few bugs and should be ignored.

Did you run the XS Bench test while you were rendering? Your score is very low so it looks like your CPU was busy working on something else. Try running the XS Bench test again when your CPU is idle.

Intel's 3rd Generation Core i CPUs run 100% reliably even when the core temperatures are up in the 80C to 90C range. This temperature is high but it is still within the Intel spec and your CPU has been designed to live a long and healthy life at that temperature so no worries.

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
unclewebb:

Yes, as I noted, I was running max load due primarily to the 3D render.

The stuff I read elsewhere indicated that the temps were okay in those conditions.

bigshootr8:

Regarding the fans: the fans are stock:

1 - stock rear fan on the Antec Sonata III case
1 - stock CPU fan for the 3770
1 - stock power supply fan on the OCZ (Z-Series 850W 80+ Gold)

I would think your temperature problems come from your stock fan. Sure it can overclock but with the i7 3770k you aren't going to see high overclocks like you would for example with a high end i5 like the 2500k or the 3570k. That doesn't solve your problem with the system overclocking beyond what you specified but 80-85 C is very hot. If you want to keep a stable overclock of what you have 4.4 ghz I would consider getting a better cooler not sure what your budget permits just something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.