Cooling PC Down? (1 fan)?

forgottenspork

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I got this new computer for my birthday a while back: http://www.asus.com/Desktop/Entertainmen…

I immediately upgraded it's gpu and psu. It started running very hot (85C for the most demanding games, 70C for the lowest) very quickly, and I haven't had the chance to cool it off more or buy a new case until now. Specs:

Intel i5-3450 @ 3.1ghz, 4 cores
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 in PCI-e 3.0 slot, OCed by EVGA
PSU: Coolmaster 500w
HDD: 2TB SATA hard drive (5400rpm)
Memory: 12GB at 1600MHz 4 x DIMM

So, I have a few questions.

My computer has 2 slots for a case fan, but the front slot is blocked by the front plastic cover. Can I get around this in any way?

Is there any other way I can cool my PC down, without changing cases?

If I have to change the case, any case up to $150 would be fine, and I'd be willing to pay to put a fan in every slot for one. Any suggestions?

And finally, as the motherboard only has 1 more case fan slot, any suggestions for a new one? Power supply is ATX.

Thanks in advance for any and all help :D

"It started running very hot (85C for the most demanding games, 70C for the lowest)" Assume you mean the GPU (graphics) not the CPU.

There is a FAN CURVE that determines how fast the graphics card fan runs for a given temp. Most drivers keep the card quiet by letting it get too hot. I personally stay under 70C by adjusting the fan curve up to about 70% by 60C, the original setting was 40% fanspeed at anything up to about 75C.

I use EVGA Precision to control the fan speed (and the mild overclock I use). You can use it too, it's free. Just register and download. Especially since you have an EVGA card. It's on the EVGA website.

Start by pumping the fan speed up to 100% and game while running a monitor like HWMONITOR by CPUID (free too). It'll record max temps. That'll tell you how much better you can do than 85C. Then adjust the curve to get the best mix of quiet and cooling.

p.s. nice card.

edit: "My computer has 2 slots for a case fan, but the front slot is blocked by the front plastic cover." Typically there is airflow around the plastic cover. Double check to see if it's really blocked. Airflow can come in from top/sides. (the power supply and rear case fans are sucking air out. the air is coming from somewhere. typically it's coming from a slightly fake solid front so the air blows past the hard drives on its way to CPU heatsink and PSU. Plus some from side panels.)