Eliminate Duplicate Primary Directories?

I've just bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP SP 2 Home Edition as its
operating system. I am the only person who will ever use this machine, and
my username is, say, Ethel. Ethel has administrator privileges.

I have finally succeeded, with help from on-line Microsoft FAQs, at
eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen or
more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find a
way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard drive
space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this duplication,
and I just don't want to have to deal with it.

Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I am
in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Joan
9 answers Last reply
More about eliminate duplicate primary directories

    I wouldn't mess around with what XP does naturally. My Documents is
    basically Ethel's Documents - the same.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP SP 2 Home Edition as its
    > operating system. I am the only person who will ever use this machine, and
    > my username is, say, Ethel. Ethel has administrator privileges.
    >
    > I have finally succeeded, with help from on-line Microsoft FAQs, at
    > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen or
    > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find a
    > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > drive
    > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this duplication,
    > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    >
    > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    > am
    > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    >
    > Joan

    Hi Joan (or Ethel :-),

    Are you familiar with shortcuts? That's all that "My Documents" on the desktop and "Ethel's Documents" under My Computer are. They are both shortcuts to the actual folder found here:

    "C:\Documents and Settings\Ethel\My Documents".

    So no disk space is wasted by their presence.

    That being said, you still have the right to have you computer display what you want. So, what do you want:

    1) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop?

    2) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop and no "My Documents" icon when exploring the desktop?"

    3) No "Ethyl's Documents" under My Computer?

    4) No "Files stored on this computer" at all under My Computer?

    5) All of the above?

    Keith

    A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message news:1_O5e.6405$Xm3.4550@trndny01...
    > I've just bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP SP 2 Home Edition as its
    > operating system. I am the only person who will ever use this machine, and
    > my username is, say, Ethel. Ethel has administrator privileges.
    >
    > I have finally succeeded, with help from on-line Microsoft FAQs, at
    > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen or
    > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find a
    > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard drive
    > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this duplication,
    > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    >
    > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I am
    > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    >
    > Joan

    If I had my druthers, I'd have no "My Documents" icon on the desktop, no "My
    Documents" icon under My Computer, and no "My Documents" icon in Windows
    Explorer.

    Is that possible?

    Thanks for writing!

    Joan

    "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
    Hi Joan (or Ethel :-),

    Are you familiar with shortcuts? That's all that "My Documents" on the
    desktop and "Ethel's Documents" under My Computer are. They are both
    shortcuts to the actual folder found here:

    "C:\Documents and Settings\Ethel\My Documents".

    So no disk space is wasted by their presence.

    That being said, you still have the right to have you computer display what
    you want. So, what do you want:

    1) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop?

    2) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop and no "My Documents" icon when
    exploring the desktop?"

    3) No "Ethyl's Documents" under My Computer?

    4) No "Files stored on this computer" at all under My Computer?

    5) All of the above?

    Keith

    A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP SP 2 Home Edition as its
    > operating system. I am the only person who will ever use this machine, and
    > my username is, say, Ethel. Ethel has administrator privileges.
    >
    > I have finally succeeded, with help from on-line Microsoft FAQs, at
    > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen or
    > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find a
    > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    drive
    > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this duplication,
    > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    >
    > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    am
    > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    >
    > Joan

    We would all love a system that is totally compliable....that said, I do not
    understand your objections to the status quo, if it works don't break it.
    Maybe you should plump for WebTV...sorry MSNTV ... ??

    --
    > If I had my druthers, I'd have no "My Documents" icon on the desktop, no
    > "My
    > Documents" icon under My Computer, and no "My Documents" icon in Windows
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Is that possible?
    >
    > Thanks for writing!
    >
    > Joan
    >
    > "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Joan (or Ethel :-),
    >
    > Are you familiar with shortcuts? That's all that "My Documents" on the
    > desktop and "Ethel's Documents" under My Computer are. They are both
    > shortcuts to the actual folder found here:
    >
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\Ethel\My Documents".
    >
    > So no disk space is wasted by their presence.
    >
    > That being said, you still have the right to have you computer display
    > what
    > you want. So, what do you want:
    >
    > 1) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop?
    >
    > 2) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop and no "My Documents" icon when
    > exploring the desktop?"
    >
    > 3) No "Ethyl's Documents" under My Computer?
    >
    > 4) No "Files stored on this computer" at all under My Computer?
    >
    > 5) All of the above?
    >
    > Keith
    >

    > A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> I've just bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP SP 2 Home Edition as its
    >> operating system. I am the only person who will ever use this machine,
    >> and
    >> my username is, say, Ethel. Ethel has administrator privileges.
    >>
    >> I have finally succeeded, with help from on-line Microsoft FAQs, at
    >> eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen
    >> or
    >> more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find a
    >> way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    >> Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    >> folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > drive
    >> space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this
    >> duplication,
    >> and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    >>
    >> Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    >> Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    > am
    >> in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    >>
    >> Joan

    In Folder Options, 'View' tab, uncheck "Hide Extensions for known file types". You need to do this to create .reg files with Notepad. You can check it again when you're done.

    For My Documents on the desktop and in folder view of desktop, copy & paste everything BETWEEN (but not including) the dashed lines (the two blank lines at the end are necessary) into notepad and save it as "HideMD.reg". Then right click the file & select "Merge".

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum]
    "{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}"=dword:00000001

    To eliminate My Documents under My Computer while keeping "Shared Documents",

    Start -> Run -> Regedit

    Locate the following key (looks like a folder) and select it:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

    In the right-hand pane, you should see your username in the name column. Right-click & delete it.

    That's it. If you have any problems or questions, post back.

    Keith

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message news:d4U5e.8601$1p4.6169@trndny06...
    > If I had my druthers, I'd have no "My Documents" icon on the desktop, no "My
    > Documents" icon under My Computer, and no "My Documents" icon in Windows
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Is that possible?
    >
    > Thanks for writing!
    >
    > Joan
    >
    > "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Joan (or Ethel :-),
    >
    > Are you familiar with shortcuts? That's all that "My Documents" on the
    > desktop and "Ethel's Documents" under My Computer are. They are both
    > shortcuts to the actual folder found here:
    >
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\Ethel\My Documents".
    >
    > So no disk space is wasted by their presence.
    >
    > That being said, you still have the right to have you computer display what
    > you want. So, what do you want:
    >
    > 1) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop?
    >
    > 2) No "My Documents" icon on the desktop and no "My Documents" icon when
    > exploring the desktop?"
    >
    > 3) No "Ethyl's Documents" under My Computer?
    >
    > 4) No "Files stored on this computer" at all under My Computer?
    >
    > 5) All of the above?
    >
    > Keith
    >

    > A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've just bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP SP 2 Home Edition as its
    > > operating system. I am the only person who will ever use this machine, and
    > > my username is, say, Ethel. Ethel has administrator privileges.
    > >
    > > I have finally succeeded, with help from on-line Microsoft FAQs, at
    > > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen or
    > > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find a
    > > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > drive
    > > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this duplication,
    > > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    > >
    > > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    > am
    > > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    > >
    > > Joan

    I've used all the Windows operating systems that have been created since
    1995. Never once during those ten years, until now with Windows XP, have I
    had to confront every time I turn on my computer a duplicate listing of
    exactly the same folders/directories. If there were a meaningful difference
    between "My Documents" and "Ethel's Documents," then fine. But there
    apparently is not.

    What does "plump for WebTV" mean?

    Joan

    "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >> eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen
    > >> or
    > >> more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find
    > >> way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > >> Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > >> folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > > drive
    > >> space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this
    > >> duplication,
    > >> and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    > >>
    > >> Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > >> Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as
    > > am
    > >> in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    > >>
    > >> Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

    Many, many thanks, Keith. I'm going to very carefully follow your
    instructions later on today (places to go between now and then). I know how
    careful one must be when making changes to the registry. I will report back
    on how it goes.

> [...]

    > > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen
    or
    > > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find
    > > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > drive
    > > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this
    duplication,
    > > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    > >
    > > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    > am
    > > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

    Dear Keith,

    Excuse me--I just clicked the wrong button and replied to you individually
    rather than to the group. In any case, I finally followed your instructions,
    and they worked like a charm.

    Many, many thanks for your assistance!

> [...]

    > > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen
    or
    > > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find
    > > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > drive
    > > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this
    duplication,
    > > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    > >
    > > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    > am
    > > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

    You're welcome.

    Keith

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message news:BJz6e.8746$nH4.5707@trndny05...
> [...]
    > > > eliminating the annoying necessity to log on to either a welcome screen
    > or
    > > > more traditional dialog-box-type logon. But I haven't been able to find
    > > > way to eliminate the duplicate folders "My Documents" and "Ethel's
    > > > Documents." HP has told me that there really aren't two separate
    > > > folders--i.e., the presence of "My Documents" isn't doubling the hard
    > > drive
    > > > space used by "Ethel's Documents"--but I see no point to this
    > duplication,
    > > > and I just don't want to have to deal with it.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way for me to get rid of either "My Documents" or "Ethel's
    > > > Document's"? I do not yet have any files stored in either location, as I
    > > am
    > > > in the early stages of familiarizing myself with this new system.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Configuration My Documents Microsoft Windows XP