Sign in with
Your question

Vista x64 to Win 7 x64

Last response: in Windows 7
February 2, 2012 4:17:50 AM

I am trying to do an upgrade from Vista Home 64 bit to Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, but every time I do, I get an error that says the versions are incompatible. I forget the exact wording, but it literally says cannot upgrade 64 bit version to this 64 bit version, depsite the fact Win7 Ultimate is reported to be compatible with everything. I even tried to do the x86 install after x64 failed out a few times (I know, I didnt actually expect it to work). I honestly think that this version of Vista was so chewed up that it's failing due to corruption in Vista, when I got this machine to work on it was crawling with viruses (Vundo, doesnt open .exe's, all the fun stuff). Usually I just do a clean install, but the lady who gave me this machine begged me to try and save her programs. I can honestly say I've never seen this incompatibility error before though, any ideas?

More about : vista x64 win x64

a c 232 $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 11:31:57 AM

Have you run a chkdsk on her vista drive? Disk corruption can hamper an install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 11:49:35 AM

i bet its one of those new spyeye variants the one that breaks the exe files. might not be able to upgrade untill its clean, it encrypts some files needed for migration.
here are the steps for removal
go to www.bleepingcomputers and download fixncr.reg this fixes the exe problem
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/FixNCR.reg
also get iExplore.exe and tdskiller.exe
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rki...
run iexplore.exe the tdskiller.exe but dont restart or you will have to repeat the steps from the start.
download malware bytes run and you should be ok for the upgrade after this point

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 11:56:10 AM

Well if it was that screwed up I would load Ubuntu from CD save her documents, photos, music, favorites, and desktop items and do a fresh install. After you install fresh have her load all her Apps then help her make a image for next time.
m
l
February 2, 2012 11:59:50 AM

Much appreciated, I will try these fixes after I get off work
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 1:36:16 PM

I don't think I would try to upgrade a pc that has been infected with viruses, or was otherwise unstable.
It looks like that option is closed to you anyway.

You should be able to run windows easy transfer to export all of the user settings and user files to an external device.

Do a clean install of windows 7 64 bit, and import some or all of what you saved.
Apps will have to be reinstalled.

It might be a good time to upgrade, and do the new install on a SSD. The performance gain will be noticeable. Then reformat the old hard drive for overflow and storage.
m
l
February 9, 2012 5:30:45 PM

I know, it's always against my best judgement to upgrade over a virused-up environment, even after cleaning most of them up. I did end up convincing her that it simply would not work, backed up her pictures, music, and documents, and did a nice fresh install of Win7. I think this time her kids were the most helpful, as when I said I could either do a clean install or leave her with Vista, both of them chimed in loudly in favor of 7, tipping the scales way in my favor :) 

Thanks, everyone, for all the help
m
l
!