Sign in with
Your question

Freezing problem with new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2012 6:10:03 PM

Hello,

I have recently bought a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1GB graphics card. After 1 day of use, I started to have issues with the card, the card would freeze for a good 10-15 seconds for every 5-10 minutes while playing games. A day later it went dead so I returned it. They've issued me a new one but I am having worse issues with this one. The card works fine in Windows but when I go into any game, it hangs and crashes after a few minutes of gameplay, and even in those few minutes of gameplay, it freezes almost every minute for same 10-15 seconds (the screen goes black for a few seconds then comes back). I have tried running Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and Video Memory Stress Test v1.7.116. Both came up empty. Please Help!

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add my PC specs. Here they are:

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 500W
CPU: C2D E6750
RAM: 2GB DDR2
GPU: Gigabyte 7770 1GB

PS: NOTHING is OC'ed. The GPU is factory OC.

More about : freezing problem graphics card

a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 6:12:16 PM

What are your temps for the card while gaming?
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:12:54 PM

Mid 50s

Without gaming 40-42
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2012 6:15:25 PM

What driver version are you currently running on the Card? 12.4 is the current catalyst version.

Flare
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:16:37 PM

I have tried both 12.4 and 12.3, I am having same issue with both.
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:31:40 PM

Give the 12.1 a try. I found it gave me the least number of issues. Make sure you uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.

Flare
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 9:55:08 PM

Do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo?

How much more (if any) power does the new GPU pull compared to the old one? Could be marginal/degraded PSU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 10:14:09 PM

most likely faulty video card send for warranty

it is what it is cut to the chase
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:32:46 AM

Get it RMA
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:26:36 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo?

How much more (if any) power does the new GPU pull compared to the old one? Could be marginal/degraded PSU.

Nope. Could this be causing issues?

The GPU's max power pull is 80watts. But the power supply is new too. So I don't know what the heck is the problem.
m
l
May 30, 2012 5:52:10 AM

Is there any way I can narrow it down to which component is wrong in my PC? (Similar to running Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and Video Memory Stress Test)

I don't believe it's the graphics card since it's the second graphics card that's doing the same thing. Just more frequently and worse. (I RMAed the first one and got this as replacement) Could this problem be happening because I have only 18Amps on my 12V rail?
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:48:06 PM

Do you have another GPU you can test with? if so hook everything up with that card and see if the system still has issues.

Flare
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:26:17 PM

Flareside said:
Do you have another GPU you can test with? if so hook everything up with that card and see if the system still has issues.

Flare

I recently ran Furmark on my PC and it was strange! No lags, no freezes, nothing. GPU went upto 70 C but it was stable under 100% load. (No OC) If the freezes are happening during gaming. Why are they not happening while running Furmark?

I'll try to get a different graphics card and test it. Thanks Flare!
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:21:07 AM

After a bit of struggle. I solved it, my motherboard doesn't seem to support overclocking or factory OC cards. Once I set the card to stock speeds, it worked. I'm gonna change my motherboard soon.
m
l
August 1, 2012 11:47:16 AM

Hi,

I have similar issues with same card! I know it is the card at fault because with a different video card (nvidia) that has a higher TPD my system is running very stable! Yes, I have latest BIOS for my motherboard, a good PSU (550W) and a case with great airflow (Antec 300).

- When running Furmark it is looking great (GPU temp went to 75C) and the tests completed successfully with latest beta (12.7) driver, but then I was randomly getting resets after the video would display vertical black/grey bars while not gaming just browsing or computer in idle (the video driver was crashing constantly).
- No matter what driver I used (12.5, 12.6 or 12.7) when gaming it was freezing after a couple of minutes (sound was still on).
- After a while I settled for 12.6 and I lowered the GPU to 1000MHz and it was stable for 2 good days. Then testing with 3D Vantage I had a similar screen with vertical bars and reset.
- Now I'm trying with lowered both GPU and Memory clocks to see for how long it is stable. If not I will send it back to Gigabyte and ask them to look into it.

I am thinking the reason it is not crashing under Furmark it is because the drivers are tested with this before releasing to public!
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:00:32 PM

Your games are putting too much pressure on you graphics card. I am looking to buy that one in the future but you need to upgrade your RAM to 8gb DDR3 and get a quad core processor. (Preferably in the Intel "i" series. (i3, i5, i7.) although core 2 Quad will work fine. That's the one I'm using.)
m
l
August 5, 2012 12:48:05 PM

jotte_ct said:
Hi,

I have similar issues with same card! I know it is the card at fault because with a different video card (nvidia) that has a higher TPD my system is running very stable! Yes, I have latest BIOS for my motherboard, a good PSU (550W) and a case with great airflow (Antec 300).

- When running Furmark it is looking great (GPU temp went to 75C) and the tests completed successfully with latest beta (12.7) driver, but then I was randomly getting resets after the video would display vertical black/grey bars while not gaming just browsing or computer in idle (the video driver was crashing constantly).
- No matter what driver I used (12.5, 12.6 or 12.7) when gaming it was freezing after a couple of minutes (sound was still on).
- After a while I settled for 12.6 and I lowered the GPU to 1000MHz and it was stable for 2 good days. Then testing with 3D Vantage I had a similar screen with vertical bars and reset.
- Now I'm trying with lowered both GPU and Memory clocks to see for how long it is stable. If not I will send it back to Gigabyte and ask them to look into it.

I am thinking the reason it is not crashing under Furmark it is because the drivers are tested with this before releasing to public!

I am also having weird problems with my card even at stock clocks. The games start freezing or crash after extended gameplay (during freezes the sound is on). In Crysis 2, if I die and hit Enter to load last saved game, the game always crashes (it has started only now). I recently updated to 12.6 so I thought that was the problem. But even with 12.4, these issues are happening. Then there's occasional crashing of AMD drivers. Not sure if this is a software issue or hardware. Has anyone had similar issues? Any solutions?
m
l
August 9, 2012 4:12:07 PM

I can confirm the same here. I have an MSI 7750 and even i ran Furmark and it came up empty. But when i play crysis 2 or even ut3, small patches of blue red stuff paints up all my screen. Maybe it is a driver issue if we all have the same problem? I mean, we all ran furmark without any problems, so i'm guessing its the drivers fault.
m
l
August 10, 2012 6:16:37 PM

darkpulse said:
I can confirm the same here. I have an MSI 7750 and even i ran Furmark and it came up empty. But when i play crysis 2 or even ut3, small patches of blue red stuff paints up all my screen. Maybe it is a driver issue if we all have the same problem? I mean, we all ran furmark without any problems, so i'm guessing its the drivers fault.

I closed Catalyst Control Center before playing any game and it removed most of the problems I was experiencing while gaming. Also, the drivers didn't crash at all while CCC was closed. Try it on your side and let us know. It's definitely a drivers' issue.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:57:21 AM

Zev_07 said:
I closed Catalyst Control Center before playing any game and it removed most of the problems I was experiencing while gaming. Also, the drivers didn't crash at all while CCC was closed. Try it on your side and let us know. It's definitely a drivers' issue.

Unfortunately, i think my problem is hardware related as even playing videos and displaying pictures started artifacting so i returned it for replacement.:( 

Anyway, i hope the others are not facing any such problems. And thanks for the tip:) . Might come in handy.
m
l
!