Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking CPU & Playing High Graphic Game Destroy Power Supply Unit

Last response: in Components
December 3, 2012 10:20:11 AM

I have accidentally activated my AMD Processor to run all 4 cores together with overclocking enabled. Then when I was playing a high graphic games like assassin's creed 3 and for about half an hour, my power supply unit was blown. I have replaced it assuming that my PSU is faulty, and for the second time, it blown my PSU again while playing that game, but this time it causes a big electic spark sound and my fuse box went down. I would like to know, did the activation of all 4 cores and overclocking killed my PSU? Because I've read that overclocking increases a lot of heat and uses extremely high voltage that may cause PSU to blow, is this true?

My PC components are as follows:

Processor : AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 995 Processor 3.20 GHz
RAM : 8 GB (Kingston D3 KVR1600)
Mainboard : ASUS M5A78L-M-LX
Graphic Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti
PSU : Standard Power Supply Unit = 500W (Many people suggest that I get a 550W cooler master PSU, But I'm not sure whether it is necessary)

For now, I'm temporarily using integrated graphic card and not playing any high graphic game in fear of the the PSU blowing up. However in the near future I might buy the cooler master PSU. I would like to confirm whether what are the issues causing my PSU to blow up.

Additional Information:
Downloading, Watching Movies and surfing the net is currently fine.
Related resources
!