First time, cheap as possible video/photo editing build

Oscar Richard

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
After spending more time with this forum than with my wife and son over the past 2 months, I decided on the following components for my first build. Although I work a lot, I live in the Dominican Republic where my earning potential is limited, so I needed to cut every corner possible as the money was begged and borrowed (fortunately not stolen). Got everything from Newegg,(except processor) which seemed to always have best price and free shipping, being on their e blast list was key, the $10 and $20 coupons really add up.

cpu..i7 3770 microcenter $259

mobo.. asrock pro4 mvp h77 $90

ssd crucial M4 128g $105

Hdd seagate 1TB 7200rpm 64g $81

Hdd wd green 2TB (storage and backup) $100

psu Corsair TX750 V2 $110

gpu Nvidia 55ti $135

the case I'll buy locally keeping the grand total just under $1,000

obviously I don't plan to overclock or sli and hope to upgrade my gpu when the smoke clears in a few months

I use a pair of canon hf s 100s and a T2i, right now using all Corel but will step up to Adobe creative Cloud asap

Thanks to everyone on this great forum for sharing insights, expertise and information

If you have no plans for SLI or overclocking it seems, 750W on the PSU is overkill. You could do with a 550W or 600W to be sure. Just get the 600W version of the PSU you picked, their pretty good.

Wheres's your RAM? You will need 16GB of it and thatl add another $90 or so to the build. This is the kit I'd recommend.
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V. $95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

naama

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hello Oscar,

If you will be only video/photo editing have you made sure that Adobe Creative Cloud can utilize your Nvidia card's processing power? If it doesn't then the I7's integrated gfx should be enough??

Secondly, I would save money by choosing a cheaper PSU. 750W PSU is a huge overkill for your rig. Choose smaller wattage gold/platinum certified PSU and you will save $$ over the years on electric bills.

Oscar Richard

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions.. forgot to mention the RAM.. 16g (4x4g) crucial ddr3 1333..(however it was included in the @$1,000 total)

as far as the psu, I live in the Dominican Republic so shipping something as heavy as a psu or as big as a case isn´t worth it, at the local shop here I had the choice of a cooler master extreme 550 or the corsair 750.. This particular cooler master got bashed in several reviews, leaving the 750 as my only viable option

(naama) from what I´ve read the least expensive video cards that Adobe can utilize are the Nvidia 470 or 570.. both of which go over $200..again shipping items over $200 to the DR have to pass through customs where they are likely to get held for indefinite amounts of time before paying ridiculous taxes to get them out (had to pay about $600 tax on my $800 T2i kit after it was lost in customs for 6 weeks.. so never again).. are you saying I could go with no card for now?? (until someone comes to visit from the states and brings me one.. I´m originally a NYer)

naama

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Taxing there seems crazy :eek:
If that gfx card cannot be utilized by adobe software you will be using then it is wasted money. The nvidia card will just create unnecessary heat in the case and draw waste wattages from the psu. The integrated one in the i7 will serve you just as well until you have a chance to get a better discreet one. Or you could invest that money into an even better CPU. I think when doing certain type of video editing a powerful discreet card will be even more important than the CPU. But someone please correct me if I am wrong :)

But simply said - do not buy the GFX card you were planning to!