Looting bug with hunters pets

Hi,

I have a lvl 40 Dwarf Hunter with (Mining/Enchanting) and have spotted
a certain issue when looting that involves my pet.

The issue is if my pet kills a mob without me hitting it once, I cant
loot the corpse. I have noticed this for a while and its not a new bug
or anything.

The only thing is, I find it really anoying, the worst being the
following.

I enjoy soloing the most and HATE the hanging around time waiting to go
into instances. So the best way I have found of getting my mount money
is to solo the deadmines. I am making an average of 12G each trip
through by disenchanting all the green/blue items and selling the
essences at the AH. Any spare space gets filled with Wool Cloth &
Metals.

I reach VC who always drops a blue item. I send pet in on him and take
on his 4 goons myself. By the time I have killed all 4 my pet kills
VC.... ARGHHHHHH

The blue item he drops always nets me about 1G worth of essences when
disenchanted and sold at the AH!

Has anybody else spotted this issue?

Is it a bug or by design?

I could understand why Bliz would do it by design, because I could go
to a really low level and set pet on aggressive and go have tea, and
come back and have lots of corpses to loot.

Any thoughts anyone?

That's right. It's been like that always. If you don't at least get
one hit in, your pet gets all the credit. It would seem your pet does
not share your need for disenchanting or earning money for a mount. I
have noticed my cats get unhappier more quickly after I got a mount. I
suppose playing second fiddle to my Frostsaber has them down.

Somehow this game mechanic is a step down from the party system. Just
being in a party means you get a shot at the loot, whether you were
close enough to even see the fight or not.

I always send the pet in, get a shot off on the same target, and heck,
if the pet can aggro all the mobs, better for me. I just need to keep
him mended. If not I start in on them but only after securing the loot
for me by hitting it.

While digging out a new addition to the Den, DaFox found a scrap of parchment. On it,
"Chizel" <cgm@firstoption.com> wrote:

>Is it a bug or by design?
>
>I could understand why Bliz would do it by design, because I could go
>to a really low level and set pet on aggressive and go have tea, and
>come back and have lots of corpses to loot.

Exactly why it is by design, to prevent exploits.
If your pet gets a full kill, neither you nor your pet gets exp/loot.

--

When E-mailing me, remove the Anti-Spam Device (Super) from my reply address
ICQ:6154582 Haven't got ICQ? Go here: http://www.icq.com/

On 17 Jun 2005 08:27:47 -0700, "Chizel" <cgm@firstoption.com> scribed into
the ether:

>Hi,
>
>I have a lvl 40 Dwarf Hunter with (Mining/Enchanting) and have spotted
>a certain issue when looting that involves my pet.
>
>The issue is if my pet kills a mob without me hitting it once, I cant
>loot the corpse. I have noticed this for a while and its not a new bug
>or anything.

It's not a bug, it's on purpose. It is done to prevent people with high
level pets turning on Aggressive, and wandering around newbie areas wiping
the places out for effort-free loot, and pissing off all the newbies.