What router do you love? (Suggestions for buying new router)

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Backstory is that I have a Belkin a few years old, It used to be my wife's (I didn't have any need for a router, as I just wired in one desktop before we moved in together) and we're starting to experience problems. Firstly you can't open ports on the router (I'll add the model later) so i've had my pc in a DMZ on it for about a year now. but I recently reinstalled my OS and now have to reset the router whenever i join a server in various Steam games. Internet seems to be dropping or slowing intermittently for no reason (We pay for a fiber line so there should be no want for speed trying to open facebook or a youtube page) and my wife complains more and more about how she "Can't connect to the wireless"

So i'm wondering, I play games on a wired connection, and she does basic internet junk on a wireless connection. Both of our computers are fairly up to date. her's is a 6 month or so old Dell (i'll get models later to see if it supports N or just G) and my mobo is a P5k-e Wifi-AP with a gigabit network connection.

Router i've been looking at is a D-link 615, it's only 35 bucks (I would spend a bit on a router but my wife complains how i'm "always spending money on toys") I might be able to talk her up a big in price however, probably no more than 60, maybe 70 dollars and of course the cheaper the better, Price/Performance wise. Any other suggestions on what I should be looking at. I know a little bit about networking and things, more than the average user, but not nearly as much as somebody with a Net+, So something configurable but not overwhelming would be preferable.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
does the expense of the router really matter past brand name? does a more expensive router of the same brand actually have better components or just 2 extra antennae and costs twice as much? I've heard unless you bump up to enterprise routers, paying more isn't really worth it.

Products pricing is based on marketing strategies. First pick the brand based on reputation and performance. Then select the model based on the features that you need. The price will fall in line.

As a general rule, higher priced products have more features, but does the customer really need all the extra features? And, the price/features curve is non-linear.