Solved

$600 Budget Gaming Build, Seeking advices!

:) Hi there, I live in Australia and I'm trying to build my very first budget gaming desktop with my $600AUD saving!
I have researched on various articles on CPU, PSU, GPU, SSD etc. And here is the list I came up:

CPU ($123.50): Intel i3-2120 3.3GHZ LGA1155

GPU ($0): Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 - Used

Storage ($123.54): Samsung 830 SSD 128GB SATA3

RAM ($24.25): Corsair 4GB Single 1333Mhz DDR3 CMV4GX3M1A1333C9

PSU ($92.99): Coolermaster GX 650W

Motherboard ($108.97): Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H MB

Optical Drive ($20.94): Liteon Dual Layer Burner Black SATA IHAS124-OEM

Case ($57.90): Antec 300 Black Mid-tower

Total: $557.69AUD (since I got the GPU from my friend, so GPU cost is not included)

And I will upgrade its ram to 16GB once I have more cash.

For now, can anyone assess my build? I would like to get some advices from the experienced ones on:
pros and cons of this build,
what games will run on it (preferably on 1080p with highest possible setting),
is it future proof (so that I only need to upgrade parts, like GPU),
and what are some alternately parts that is cheaper or better?

Thank you very much! :)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget gaming build seeking advices
  1. That GPU isnt really good, its old. Dump the SSD and get a better one. That PSU is a no go, Id go with corsair, seasonic, etc. You wont need 16GB of RaM just for gaming. H67 is enough for a mobo btw. It will run rather old games with that GPU at 1080p with low settings.
  2. Nw333 said:
    That GPU isnt really good, its old. Dump the SSD and get a better one. That PSU is a no go, Id go with corsair, seasonic, etc. You wont need 16GB of RaM just for gaming. H67 is enough for a mobo btw. It will run rather old games with that GPU at 1080p with low settings.

    of course its old, and thats why i will upgrade it to a better one when i have the money. are you suggesting samsung 830 ssd is bad, and the Coolermaster PSU is not reliable? :??: im looking for a build that can be upgraded, do you think h67 is good for longterm?
    If i change my GPU to HD7970, what do you think of this build then?
    Thx! :)
  3. your 4870 is a bit old.. a 7770 is about equal to it nowadays, but its free.

    However $600 without a vid card can be a lot better than an i3!
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($111.99 @ eCost)
    Memory: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.89 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($86.99 @ eCost)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($53.50 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $609.32
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-22 09:37 EDT-0400)
  4. Best answer
    brick007123 said:
    of course its old, and thats why i will upgrade it to a better one when i have the money. are you suggesting samsung 830 ssd is bad, and the Coolermaster PSU is not reliable? :??: im looking for a build that can be upgraded, do you think h67 is good for longterm?
    If i change my GPU to HD7970, what do you think of this build then?
    Thx! :)


    Not that the SSD is bad, its really not needed. Get it only if your budget isnt tight. If you scrap the SSD, maybe you could sell the 4870 and get a better GPU with the money. CM isnt really a well known brand in good PSUs, only ones Ive read good things about are the Silent Pro series. H67 should do good as of today, feel free to get a better one, just suggesting it since its cheaper. A GTX 560Ti will be enough for your i3 if your planning on a good GPU. Also, what games u gonna play?
  5. ScrewySqrl said:
    your 4870 is a bit old.. a 7770 is about equal to it nowadays, but its free.

    However $600 without a vid card can be a lot better than an i3!
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($111.99 @ eCost)
    Memory: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.89 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($86.99 @ eCost)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($53.50 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $609.32
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-22 09:37 EDT-0400)



    OP lives in Australia. I think you may want to reconsider your prices and part sources.
  6. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.80 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.80 @ Mwave Australia)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $534.59
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 11:59 EST+1000)
    rejiggered for $AUS
  7. ScrewySqrl said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.80 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.80 @ Mwave Australia)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $534.59
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 11:59 EST+1000)
    rejiggered for $AUS


    After looking at i5 instead of i3, and inspired by few other suggestions you gave me, i came up with the following bit more advanced build, please have a look at it! :)

    Specifications with Costs:
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz LGA1155
    • None at ARC
    • $236.00 at MSY
    Storage: Samsung 830 SSD 128GB SATA3
    • $128.94 at ARC
    • $127.00 at MSY
    GPU: Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 - Used
    • $0 from friend ($500 for future 3GB 7970 at MSY)
    PSU: Corsair TX650
    • $112.86 at ARC
    • $112.00 at MSY
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H, Intel H77, ATX
    • $108.97 at ARC
    • $109.00 at MSY
    RAM: G. Skill 8GB (4GB*2) 1600MHz DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    • $57.39 at ARC
    • $58.00 at MSY
    Optical Drive: Dual Layer Burner SATA
    • Liteon $20.94 at ARC
    • Samsung $19.00 at MSY
    Case: Any Case that Looks Cool (ATX)
    • $50
    Cooling: Stock Fan (Upgrade in the Future for OC)

    Minimum: $661 - No Case, Used GPU

    Total: $1250 - Cool Case, New GPU - thats when i have more money to spend to upgrade!
  8. ScrewySqrl said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Mwave Australia)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.80 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.80 @ Mwave Australia)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $534.59
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-23 11:59 EST+1000)
    rejiggered for $AUS

    If he buys them all from PCCaseGear, he can save about $100.
  9. I would go with a better PSU than a CM CX series and if u had to stick to a HD 4870, you definitely have to tone down settings and/or resolution for the more demanding current games
  10. brick007123 said:
    After looking at i5 instead of i3, and inspired by few other suggestions you gave me, i came up with the following bit more advanced build, please have a look at it! :)

    Specifications with Costs:
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz LGA1155
    • None at ARC
    • $236.00 at MSY
    Storage: Samsung 830 SSD 128GB SATA3
    • $128.94 at ARC
    • $127.00 at MSY
    GPU: Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 - Used
    • $0 from friend ($500 for future 3GB 7970 at MSY)
    PSU: Corsair TX650
    • $112.86 at ARC
    • $112.00 at MSY
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H, Intel H77, ATX
    • $108.97 at ARC
    • $109.00 at MSY
    RAM: G. Skill 8GB (4GB*2) 1600MHz DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    • $57.39 at ARC
    • $58.00 at MSY
    Optical Drive: Dual Layer Burner SATA
    • Liteon $20.94 at ARC
    • Samsung $19.00 at MSY
    Case: Any Case that Looks Cool (ATX)
    • $50
    Cooling: Stock Fan (Upgrade in the Future for OC)

    Minimum: $661 - No Case, Used GPU

    Total: $1250 - Cool Case, New GPU - thats when i have more money to spend to upgrade!

    If you arent going to OC dont get a K processor and I like that future GPU. It would probably cost lower in a few months though. :) You also gotta make sure that mobo is compatible with Ivy Bridge.
  11. h77 is compatible with ivy ;)

    you could step down to the 3550 and keep the same motherboard, or step the mobo up to a z77
  12. Best answer selected by brick007123.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming GPUs Systems Product