Realistically Will a 670 Last 5 Years?

Enroach

Honorable
May 25, 2012
My system supports SLI/Xfire 750watt PSU and I have not currently purchased a card because I'm waiting for the other parts to arrive. For someone who doesn't plan on playing any higher than 1080p and enjoys all the bells and whistles (MMO player), should I be looking at something like a 560ti or 6950 now and an upgrade down the road or will something like the best I can afford benefit me in the long run. I'm looking for some suggestions and maybe some foresight based on precedence. Sorry if its already up the forums are really buzzing for conversation's sake I wanted something with current prices. Thanks for any suggestions and help choosing, my 9600gt was a great value card but I wish I'd have upgraded sooner and gone with the 8800gtx even at the time.

saphire 6950-$200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Video%20Cards-_-Sapphire%20Tech-_-14102987&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=

xfx 7870-$330

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

asus 670-$420

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121637

Solution
It depends on the minimum amount of performance you can live with. It also depends on how much more graphically intensive the games you want to play will be several years from now. If you can live with medium quality graphics settings then I would say yes. If you want no less than high quality settings, then no.

My HD 5850 is a little over 2.5 years old and it still provides me with good enough performance at high settings. I don't plan on replacing until next year at the earliest when I build a new PC around Intel's Haswell CPU. If I find that the performance is still good enough for me then I'll continue to use the HD 5850 and wait until the Radeon HD 9xxx or GeForce GTX 8xx series are released.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
The cards should last in terms of not crapping out, as long as they don't overheat, and how long their performance lasts depends on what games you play. MMO's like to hog CPU more than GPU anyway. You could get away with any of those cards for 5 years, but in 5 years you won't be hitting Ultra in any new games.

Desert Eagle

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Enroach, an answer your question about what games will require years from now is speculation on my part but here's my best guess. I think the nextgen consoles will role out sometime next year and I think the graphics will be considerably better than at present. Most games ported to the PC aren't optimized all that well so you may need an even more powerful graphics card than what is the average PC requires now in order to play on ultra setting. Will the GTX 670 be enough then? I think so, but once again that's just speculation.

It depends on the minimum amount of performance you can live with. It also depends on how much more graphically intensive the games you want to play will be several years from now. If you can live with medium quality graphics settings then I would say yes. If you want no less than high quality settings, then no.

My HD 5850 is a little over 2.5 years old and it still provides me with good enough performance at high settings. I don't plan on replacing until next year at the earliest when I build a new PC around Intel's Haswell CPU. If I find that the performance is still good enough for me then I'll continue to use the HD 5850 and wait until the Radeon HD 9xxx or GeForce GTX 8xx series are released.

Solution