Radeon 7870 Issues (BSOD, Crashes, Aero Glass)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisjunelee

Honorable
May 29, 2012
So I just bought a new computer from a custom building computer website.

After I got the computer up and running, I've noticed a few particular problems especially with the GPU.

It runs hot (75-79 on load, 45-50 idle) and I get random crashes during gaming where it locks up and I hear whatever sound it crashed on (usually sounds like buzzing). Also, when I am watching video, I get BSOD.

I have already RMAed the vid card assuming I had a faulty one, but I have the exact same problem. If I underclock the card, the system runs fine, but I would like to find a solution where I don't need to do that.

Also, on a side note, there are times where Windows Aero Glass doesn't work and when I run the Microsoft fix it tool, it says my video card doesnt support it?

Help please

*EDIT*
Computer Specs
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-970A-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 2951MB used, 17479MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Video Card: Radeon HD 7870

Solution
Trial and error is sometimes the way it works! Since you bought the thing assembled from a vendor (maybe extreme systems) why do you not exercise your warranty? It would take the guess work out of it!

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
make sure you download and install the latest drivers for your card. my 6850s would bsod my system even though i installed the drivers from the manufacturer's cd. installing the latest drivers from the catalyst website sorted it out.

the buzzing makes me think its getting too hot and runs the fan full speed right before it crashes...

but first things first. update drivers!

dennisjunelee

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Unfortunately, I just had to return the whole thing and I just had to personally re-buy all the parts and build it myself. They also released 12.7 drivers during this return/re-purchase period so I'm not really sure what the problem was at this point, but it works perfectly now so I really don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS