New build, Price no object, Need everything advice needed.

vengfulr3ap3r

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks

Range: Price isn't an object, but if i had to put a price on it, under 4-5k (this is to be a gift from another person and they insist they do not care on the cost)

System Usage: from Most to Least Important: Gaming, recording vid while playing a game/streaming, Converting of videos, Entertainment such as movies and the like, Wordprocessing, photoshop, basic computer use and browsing.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, 3 of them for eyefinity.

Parts to Upgrade: Not upgrade but buy. Which is.. basically everything. CPU, Cooler, Mobo, Graphics, PSU, Storage (getting both an ssd and hdd).. Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel i7 processor, AMD graphics (If you can provide justification for nVidia over amd, that does not include "drivers get updated faster" or something silly like that it would then become negotiable. I personally have never really had an issue with AMD card's they work just fine for me but as i said, if you can provide a good justification, i'd actually consider it)

Overclocking: Yes, in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes.

Your Monitor Resolution: This is actually one of the things I need help with choosing, i'm not quite sure.

Additional Comments:Alrighty, This is the portion where I talk, I think. Here's to hoping I am correct. The two things I haven't chosen thus far are a case, and monitor's. When it comes to monitor's i just draw a blank, So many question's and not exactly straight forward answers, because one person says x is fine and a person say's it's horrible and they can't live without Y. So i really have no idea what would be best for a monitor. All i know is, I would like it to be accurate color wise with a thin bezel, and good viewing angles. Both for eyefinity. I'm unsure what resolution to go for, i would assume 1080p would be sufficient, but im really deferring to your guy's expertise on this. I do know that I would like my eyefinity set up to be three monitors in landscape (not 5 in portrait) Just because I feel portrait would "feel" better and more immersive to me. It'll feel more "normal". I would like thin bezel's as already specified, but im unsure about the rest. I did see something about a monitor having a light sensor to control the brightness which would be rather fantastic, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if the suggested monitor's didn't have that feature seeing as i am unsure how popular it really is.

As for the case I would very much prefer black in color, with good cable management and windowed. if i want any bling like light's or what not I can easily add them later via cathodes/LED fan's and the like. I'm unsure if full or mid would be best, I think for the cooling i think i'd be just fine with air cooling for everything and a water cooler for the CPU (something like the h100 or something) and when/if i need more, go for straight water cooling. But that will be at a later time when my 2 7970's are no longer powerful enough to run eyefinity at max. As for OS, i only chose Retail incase my mobo failed, but i would be fine with OEM I think.

The 3770k is negotiable and i am aware it heat's up more then a comparable SB when OC'd, which i probably will do at a later date, I just thought the 3770k would be a better choice since it's more "future" proof. But i could be mistaken on that.

For some things i've included more then one link, I did this because I was unsure of what to choose. Even if there is only one link, by all mean's suggest something else if you think it would be better or if you know it's a better choice/ if something isn't worth the price etc. So in a nutshell, I need a case suggestions, monitor suggestion's, and lastly just suggestion's/advice on the part's for the build. Any and all suggestion's are more then welcome, and i thank you in advance for your time also apologies for talking/typing too much. I just wanted to be thorough. I figured the more detail's on how the build will be used and such would make your guy's job much easier with offering advice. But please forgive me if I typed too much.

As for software; Things like arkahm city, skyrim, BF3 possibly, Assassins creed, MMO's (like swtor/GW2 etc), Deus EX HR, Things of that nature. As well as conversion program's for video's to put on my other devices or just to re encode. Photoshop. Etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am building a new system because my current isn't all that fantastic, it was a budget prebuilt. I figured i would just be better off building a new system, and giving my old system to my parent's as a desktop to replace there aging computer since it would be more then enough for them.

On with the links! I didn't include link's to things like thermal paste, speakers, keyboard, mouse, headphones, optical drive and things of that nature because they really have no bearing on the build it's self. But if I need to by all mean's ask and I shall post.

Links:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

XFX ProSeries P1-1000-BELX 1000W ATX12V V2.2 & ESP12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Graphics: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11197-01-40G)

XFX Double D FX-797A-TDBC Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Cooler: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Storage: Boot Drive ; SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Storage/data drive Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SoundCard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

you seriously dont need the essence sound card if you dont have 400 dollar headphones (no beats crap).

i dont see the point of eyefinity since it makes your screen much larger. its great for MMOs and racing games but it will screw you over in a fps game as the crosshair is like the size of a medium sized fist

heres what i would get based on your needs. the nvidia option is to get 2 evga ftw gtx680s to run multi-monitor. either solution does fine. for the monitor, id get a asus pa238q monitor but they are not the best for gaming

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKGu

vengfulr3ap3r

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Haha, Don't worry. I don't buy into the beat's crap. I was going to get a set of audio technica m50's for my headphones. So i wasn't sure which series was better or if the STX was overkill or not so that's just the one i picked, if you think a DX 7.1 would be a better choice then I will def check into it and I shall keep that in mind concerning FPS gaming with eyefinity, I honestly had no idea about that So thanks. :p "I swear it was a head shot!" "well... of course you did, your crosshairs cover half my torso!" haha.

I tend to play alot of games like assassins creed and skyrim and RPG/single player games. That's mostly what I want eyefinity for, For that "immersion" factor and for MMO's. I've honestly never been much on multi player gaming, People annoy me far too much.

Can you think of a reason to choose the gtx680's over the amd 7970's?

Would that PSU be enough for if I were to OC the gpu's/cpus?

Lastly why is that particular monitor not the best for gaming? Apologies for the questions. =X

the psu can handle it no problem

the STX is definitly overkill for the m50. stick with a asus dx 7.1

yeah just pick up a nice monitor like the pa238q and you will be impressed since it is considered a pro monitor. it isnt the best for gaming as it has a slightly slower response time but i would get it due to the fact that it looks much better than a TN panel. fyi, this monitor is a IPS display

if it is single monitor, getting a 680 makes more sense than the 7970. to be honest, getting a gtx670 makes even more sense as it is only 5% slower than the 680 and costs a full hundred dollars less and it uses much less power. a nice 670 would be the asus directcu2 top edition.

DeusAres

Distinguished
OHMAHGAWD! Money is no object? Gift?!

I'd go nuckin' futs with this build.

This...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cL4C

Go overboard, if price isn't an issue. This seems to be a once in a life time thing. Just make sure you grab a case that you absolutely love. Make sure it has high airflow, good cable management, and a window to show off your work :D

If you go with an eyefinity setup, make sure you grab monitors with thin bezels. This will help with the immersion factor.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa238q-part14.html
According to that, it is suitable for semi-hardcore gamers.

DeusAres

Distinguished
If you want, you could even grab an even larger SSD. I don't really see the need, but the option is there. I'd also stay away from the all in one water coolers. They're fairly problematic and noisy. The noctua air cooler would be best.

vengfulr3ap3r

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Then I shall change to the dx good sir.

I think i'd honestly have to agree, I may not know all that much about monitor's but a pro monitor + ips at the cost of a slightly slower response time.. I think i'd be just fine with that. I'm not really into super competitive gaming as it stand's so it honestly probably wouldn't effect me all that much. If you don't mind my asking, what would be considered a "gaming" monitor exactly? I would assume something like a 2ms display right?

I am going three monitor's, I just meant that for FPS games and for things that have issue with eyefinity I could use only one monitor vs eyefinity so I didn't have the crosshair issue. :p When not using eyefinity ill have the other screen's for other things like using airdroid to monitor my phone or IM client's or things of that nature. I used to use a mac and i've never quite adjusted to not having "spaces" I hate when I have window's crowding up on one another, Drives me crazy :p from what research i've done thus far concerning the video card's and the like is that nVidia's 3d is much more mature then AMD's where as AMD's multi monitor set up is more mature then nVidia's. Though im unsure if that is completely accurate or not. It seems to be per person as to which is better and why it's hard to get an objective opinion from the research i've tried to do on amd vs nvidia. I was considering possibly waiting for a 7990 since it's pretty much two 7970's xfired on one board, but what i've read is that even though it is two chip's on one board and xfired. Two discrete 7970's would still be more powerful then the single 7990 while also being quieter, less power hungry and cooler.

Ahhh, okay. I didn't know they were noisy or problematic! I was checking out the noctua cooler earlier and it seemed to be... very praise worthy based on what i read via comments. Someone suggested using the thermal paste provided vs artic silver, so what would either of your opinion be on that? As for the larger SSD I don't think it would be needed either honestly. I figure 256 would be plenty for the OS and any app's im using frequently. Would it be worth it to even bother with an msata or a cache drive or anything like that or do you think the ssd + hdd would be just fine?

Haha. I'm not that daring, Last thing i'd want to do is tell the person buying it that I broke it. I'd feel horrible. ;P

a "gaming monitor" would be a TN panel with 2ms response time and 120hz refresh rate. most monitors are TN, 60hz (standard), and 5ms or more response time

if you are a extremist, you can get a plasma tv. they have plasma screens (ditto), 600hz refresh rate (sub-field drive), and 0.2ms response time

actually, dual gpu cards tend to use less power than 2 single GPU cards

vengfulr3ap3r

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

That's what I said about the gpu thing. That two 7970's would be better than 1 7990 because even though the latter is the former but on a single board, the chip's themselves are under clocked. So it uses more power, makes more noise, and produces more heat then you would get running two 7970's.

I'm no where near that extreme about a monitor. I think the one you suggested will do just fine, I've been doing quite a bit of research since my last post on all the part's you suggested, and i must say, very good suggestion's. The whole lot of them. I did change just a few of them based more on my preference but that was more of just the SSD, OS and video card. In the end i decided to go with the 830 over the m4 because after a few google search's it seemed everyone was saying the 830 had less issues then the m4. I tend to have rather bad luck. If there's a bad egg, chance are ill end up getting it. -_- But anyways, i went with a different video card (same 7970, different brand, decided on the lightning instead) because everyone was saying the lightning cooled better, as well as was able to be overclocked more on air (i'm not watercooling soon, i just wanted a case big enough to support it for when i decided to take the "dive", plus the fact the xfx is now deactivated on newegg. I went with professional over home preimum for the windows compatibility mode, as well as being able to back up to the network, Because unfortuntaly I do not know of a good thirdparty backup utility that'll allow backup's over a network to a NAS, if you could suggest one that would be great. So I have a few more question's if you're willing to answer them.

The case is fantastic from what i've saw, But i'd probably get one from frozen CPU with the side panel mod, Not only because i would like a window's case, but also because the side panel isn't meshed and i'd rather keep all that dust out of the case and what not. So since it comes with three fan's (two front, one rear) how many more would you suggest I get? I know it has mounting points for i think around.. 10 fan's grand total? And i already know to get filters for the fan's that pull air into the case, eg the one on the bottom if i were to place a fan there which i probably will, I saw someone suggested demcifilters for after market filters on another forum, and i know a positive pressure would be better then a negative pressure since it would help keep out even more dust. So what would your suggestion be with the fans? Any particular brand? CFM? rpm's? anything i should look for in particular to get that positive airflow? All I can remember about airflow is that you need more air coming in then going out and it takes more cfm's to push air then it does to pull it. At least that's what i think i remember, but i could be wrong. Should I connect them to the motherboard and let it handle the fan's, or to the case? or should i get a third party fan controller? Another question is how many fan's can a four pin fan header actually control/power? Sorry for the noob question's. Oh, and one last question. I've heard people talking about "sleeving" cable's. Would I be better of sleeving them manually (if i were to desire that professional look after i understand how many cables i need to sleeve) Or just buying a presleved extension. I would expect the latter would be the simpler and easier option. Yes? Anyways, i think that's all i have for now on question. So sorry for so many. I just tend to over research everything and i would like to order all the part's i need at once. But thank you so much for answering my question's thus far. It's very much appreciated.

Ill read up on that. Thanks. =]