Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitor on integrated graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2012 9:47:10 PM

Hi I am planing out a new system and had a question about integrated vs dedicated gpu.

I'm looking at getting:
Intel Core i5 2500K
Asus P8P67 Rev 3.1

According to Intel's specs, this CPU has "dual display capability", because, as I understand it, it supports graphics processing in the CPU

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K...(6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz)

Now, as it turns out, I do hope to be able to use the ingegrated graphics for display. I will have dedicated graphics cards, but want to use them for computations not related to graphics (gpgpu). I don't do much gaming, so the integrated graphics should be fine for display. However, I want to have dual monitor display.

Is it possible to use the CPUs dual display capabilities for dual minitor display, while I have dedicated GPUs for non-graphics computations? I was looking at the Asus P8P67 Rev 3.1 boards but realize that actually they don't have any video output. Does anybody know what mobo could achieve that if possible?
May 29, 2012 10:50:07 PM

get either a Z68 or Z77 board and you'll be fine.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 177 U Graphics card
May 30, 2012 12:34:27 AM

As tomskent said, get z68 or z77, these can use the integrated graphics, p67 cannot. "Dual display capability" means in can run 2 monitors. If you also have a discrete card, then that's even more monitors. 2 more if nvidia 500 series are before, 3 more if nvidia 600 series or amd 5000 and later series. So 4 or 5 monitors max. Yes you can use both integrated and discrete, but they will work independently from one another. If a monitor is not connected to the mobo, the integrated is disabled. If a monitor is not in the discrete card, the card is disabled. If you have 1 monitor in the mobo and 1 in the card, the computational program will use the primary device. If z68 or z77 costs more than just run both monitors on the discrete card, it won't affect computational performance.
m
l
June 6, 2012 3:45:56 AM

Hey, thanks for the advice! I went with the z68.
m
l
!