Good Heatsink for i7 920

Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 4:09:03 PM

Hey everyone,

This is my current computer build:

i7 920 @ 2.66GHz
Evga GTX 260
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboad
G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit (RAM)

I've had this build for quite some time and I'm currently thinking of overclocking my CPU to around 3.5GHz but that's obviously not do-able with the stock cooler, so I wanted to know if someone could recommend me a good cooler for a reasonable price. I'm looking for something around 30-40$ but I'm a little flexible if I get a better bang for my buck.

I've heard good things about this cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... wondering if anyone has any opinions on that.

I'm also thinking of adding some more RAM to my build. Currently I have the one mentioned above (6GB) but I'm not too sure about what all those numbers mean on the RAM, so I wanted to know if I grab the RAM below and pop it into my PC, would there be any compatibility issues? Any better recommendations? (My motherboard has four slots, so I have one empty left currently).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-X-Series-8GB-240...

Please let me know, thank you!

More about : good heatsink 920

a c 190 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 4:35:38 PM

I really like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo I have used it in the past and was very happy with it.

Wtih the Intel Core i7-920 you want to have your memory running at the same speed. So download and run CPU-Z and match the memory up with what you have in speed. So if you have 3 stick of DDR 3 1066 10-10-10, you want to get the same type of performance sticks since the system will run the memory at the lowest common speed.
m
l
December 3, 2012 6:02:35 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
I really like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo I have used it in the past and was very happy with it.

Wtih the Intel Core i7-920 you want to have your memory running at the same speed. So download and run CPU-Z and match the memory up with what you have in speed. So if you have 3 stick of DDR 3 1066 10-10-10, you want to get the same type of performance sticks since the system will run the memory at the lowest common speed.

Cool, going to probably get that then. As for RAM this is what I currently have:

G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit

and I'm looking to grab this which would be added in the extra slot in my motherboard:

G.SKILL F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL Ripjawsx 8GB 1X8GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Memory

Would this be compatible with my current setup? Optimal for overclocking my PC? Someone told me something about it not being able to remain triple channel anymore if I add that in, is that an issue?

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:40:18 PM

If you were to add 3 of the 8GB sticks it would keep you in triple channel mode which is where the best performance is. If you add a single stick in to the other it will drop it down to single channel mode.

To understand this think of going form a 3 lane road to a 1 lane road alll the way you get to drive 55 mph. Sometimes you will have the same performance but most of the time you will be slower due to the fact that the same amount of information that is moving on the road.
December 3, 2012 8:46:46 PM

Oh ok, I see what you mean.

What I instead chose to buy was 3x4GB for now (which is 12GB) but it'll give me triple channel versus (2x8GB) which is dual channel. I hope the 4GB sacrifice is worth it. I do need lots RAM since I'm running multiple high-end applications at the same time, but I think 12GB should be enough.
m
l
December 3, 2012 8:47:34 PM

Best answer selected by kefloxin.
m
l
!