6230 - Name Text Message Sender

Last response: in Brands
July 29, 2004 11:58:10 AM

When ever I receive a text message on my 6230, there appears to be no
indication of who actually sent me the text message

The message will tell me what number the text has come from...

But if I don't know the number, I have to go searching through my phonebook

There must be some way of configuring the phone, so that I can see the name
of the person who sent the text message (provided they are in my contacts on
my phone)

Someone please help

Thank you
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:20:30 PM

if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show

but there is some exceptions to the rule

if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show the
name

I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the last
digits as opposed to the prefix

eg

I had

1234 123 456 john
4567 123 456 bill

so the name would not show when either person called or SMS

same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789

and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact list
, the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe

"Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
> When ever I receive a text message on my 6230, there appears to be no
> indication of who actually sent me the text message
>
> The message will tell me what number the text has come from...
>
> But if I don't know the number, I have to go searching through my
phonebook

> There must be some way of configuring the phone, so that I can see the
name
> of the person who sent the text message (provided they are in my contacts
on
> my phone)
>
> Someone please help
>
> Thank you

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:20:31 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:20:30 +1000, "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show
>
>but there is some exceptions to the rule
>
>if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show the
>name
>
>I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the last
>digits as opposed to the prefix
>
>eg
>
>I had
>
>1234 123 456 john
>4567 123 456 bill
>
>so the name would not show when either person called or SMS
>
>same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789
>
>and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact list
>, the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe

I believe the phone looks at the last 7 digits of the incoming number
and tries to match them with the last 7 digits stored in the
phonebook. If it cannot match all 7 digits then it doesn't display the
name. At least that's the way it seems to work with my 6100.

Chris

>"Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
>> When ever I receive a text message on my 6230, there appears to be no
>> indication of who actually sent me the text message
>>
>> The message will tell me what number the text has come from...
>>
>> But if I don't know the number, I have to go searching through my
>phonebook
>>
>> There must be some way of configuring the phone, so that I can see the
>name
>> of the person who sent the text message (provided they are in my contacts
>on
>> my phone)
>>
>> Someone please help
>>
>> Thank you

July 30, 2004 2:07:08 AM

"Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:20:30 +1000, "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show
> >
> >but there is some exceptions to the rule
> >
> >if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show
the
> >name
> >
> >I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the last
> >digits as opposed to the prefix
> >
> >eg
> >
> >I had
> >
> >1234 123 456 john
> >4567 123 456 bill
> >
> >so the name would not show when either person called or SMS
> >
> >same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789
> >
> >and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact
list
> >, the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe
>
> I believe the phone looks at the last 7 digits of the incoming number
> and tries to match them with the last 7 digits stored in the
> phonebook. If it cannot match all 7 digits then it doesn't display the
> name. At least that's the way it seems to work with my 6100.
>
> Chris

hmm cant quite remember as its been a few years

i'm in aus and had

eg
0418 123 456
0414 123 456

in the phone and the name wouldnt come up

the first 4 are the prefix here

> >"Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
> >> When ever I receive a text message on my 6230, there appears to be no
> >> indication of who actually sent me the text message
> >>
> >> The message will tell me what number the text has come from...
> >>
> >> But if I don't know the number, I have to go searching through my
> >phonebook
> >>
> >> There must be some way of configuring the phone, so that I can see the
> >name
> >> of the person who sent the text message (provided they are in my
contacts
> >on
> >> my phone)
> >>
> >> Someone please help
> >>
> >> Thank you

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:27:47 PM

hmm, have they got "own number sending" off"

"Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:20:30 +1000, "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show
> > >
> > >but there is some exceptions to the rule
> > >
> > >if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont
show
> the
> > >name
> > >
> > >I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the
last
> > >digits as opposed to the prefix
> > >
> > >eg
> > >
> > >I had
> > >
> > >1234 123 456 john
> > >4567 123 456 bill
> > >
> > >so the name would not show when either person called or SMS
> > >
> > >same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789
> > >
> > >and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact
> list
> > >, the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe
> >
> > I believe the phone looks at the last 7 digits of the incoming number
> > and tries to match them with the last 7 digits stored in the
> > phonebook. If it cannot match all 7 digits then it doesn't display the
> > name. At least that's the way it seems to work with my 6100.
> >
> > Chris
>
> hmm cant quite remember as its been a few years
>
> i'm in aus and had
>
> eg
> 0418 123 456
> 0414 123 456
>
> in the phone and the name wouldnt come up
>
> the first 4 are the prefix here
>

> > >"Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message

> > >phonebook

> > >name
> contacts
> > >on

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:54:40 AM

> but there is some exceptions to the rule
> if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show
the
> name

A very common problem is that people have the same numbers on the sim card
as they do in their phone memory. By default, Nokia phones use "Sim and
Phone" memory by default. This should be set to use phone memory only in the
settings if this is the case.

Adam
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 11:51:36 AM

"Adam Greatrix" <extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > but there is some exceptions to the rule
> > if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show
> the
> > name
>
> A very common problem is that people have the same numbers on the sim card
> as they do in their phone memory. By default, Nokia phones use "Sim and
> Phone" memory by default. This should be set to use phone memory only in
the
> settings if this is the case.
>
> Adam

yep that could be the case

me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot use
some of the functions, BUT

when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 11:51:37 AM

"Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> yep that could be the case
>
> me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot use
> some of the functions, BUT
>
> when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)

So store the numbers in your SIM as well, but use the phone memory.

Works for me..!

Ivor
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 12:57:52 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:06:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

>"Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>[snip]
>
>> yep that could be the case
>>
>> me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot use
>> some of the functions, BUT
>>
>> when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)
>
>So store the numbers in your SIM as well, but use the phone memory.
>
>Works for me..!

Better still, store the numbers in your phone so that you get the full
functionality of that, but backup your entire phone contents to a PC
regularly so that you can restore everything if your phone gets lost
or stolen.

Chris
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:37:22 PM

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:06:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:
>

> >"Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >> yep that could be the case
> >>
> >> me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot
use
> >> some of the functions, BUT
> >>
> >> when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)
> >
> >So store the numbers in your SIM as well, but use the phone memory.
> >
> >Works for me..!
>
> Better still, store the numbers in your phone so that you get the full
> functionality of that, but backup your entire phone contents to a PC
> regularly so that you can restore everything if your phone gets lost
> or stolen.

thats what i keep my old sims for , all numbers stored in old sims

never had a phone lost or stolen yet in 13 years
broken yes but never stolen or lost

!