6230 - Name Text Message Sender

When ever I receive a text message on my 6230, there appears to be no
indication of who actually sent me the text message

The message will tell me what number the text has come from...

But if I don't know the number, I have to go searching through my phonebook

There must be some way of configuring the phone, so that I can see the name
of the person who sent the text message (provided they are in my contacts on
my phone)

Someone please help

Thank you
9 answers Last reply
More about 6230 text message sender

    if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show

    but there is some exceptions to the rule

    if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show the
    name

    I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the last
    digits as opposed to the prefix

    eg

    I had

    1234 123 456 john
    4567 123 456 bill

    so the name would not show when either person called or SMS

    same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789

    and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact list
    , the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:20:30 +1000, "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show
    >
    >but there is some exceptions to the rule
    >
    >if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show the
    >name
    >
    >I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the last
    >digits as opposed to the prefix
    >
    >eg
    >
    >I had
    >
    >1234 123 456 john
    >4567 123 456 bill
    >
    >so the name would not show when either person called or SMS
    >
    >same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789
    >
    >and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact list
    >, the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe

    I believe the phone looks at the last 7 digits of the incoming number
    and tries to match them with the last 7 digits stored in the
    phonebook. If it cannot match all 7 digits then it doesn't display the
    name. At least that's the way it seems to work with my 6100.

    Chris

    "Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:20:30 +1000, "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >if you have the number in your contacts then the name should show
    > >
    > >but there is some exceptions to the rule
    > >
    > >if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show
    the
    > >name
    > >
    > >I have also fund in the past on nokias that they only looked at the last
    > >digits as opposed to the prefix
    > >
    > >eg
    > >
    > >I had
    > >
    > >1234 123 456 john
    > >4567 123 456 bill
    > >
    > >so the name would not show when either person called or SMS
    > >
    > >same thing applies if I have Joe in my phone as 123 456 789
    > >
    > >and I dial the number 123 456 789 instead of dialling from the contact
    list
    > >, the phone will then show that I am dialling Joe
    >
    > I believe the phone looks at the last 7 digits of the incoming number
    > and tries to match them with the last 7 digits stored in the
    > phonebook. If it cannot match all 7 digits then it doesn't display the
    > name. At least that's the way it seems to work with my 6100.
    >
    > Chris

    hmm cant quite remember as its been a few years

    i'm in aus and had

    eg
    0418 123 456
    0414 123 456

    in the phone and the name wouldnt come up

    the first 4 are the prefix here

    > >"Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message
    > >> When ever I receive a text message on my 6230, there appears to be no
    > >> indication of who actually sent me the text message
    > >>
    > >> The message will tell me what number the text has come from...
    > >>
    > >> But if I don't know the number, I have to go searching through my
    > >phonebook
    > >>
    > >> There must be some way of configuring the phone, so that I can see the
    > >name
    > >> of the person who sent the text message (provided they are in my
    contacts
    > >on
    > >> my phone)
    > >>
    > >> Someone please help
    > >>
    > >> Thank you

    hmm, have they got "own number sending" off"

    > but there is some exceptions to the rule
    > if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show
    the
    > name

    A very common problem is that people have the same numbers on the sim card
    as they do in their phone memory. By default, Nokia phones use "Sim and
    Phone" memory by default. This should be set to use phone memory only in the
    settings if this is the case.

    Adam

    "Adam Greatrix" <extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > but there is some exceptions to the rule
    > > if you have the same number twice in your contact list then it wont show
    > the
    > > name
    >
    > A very common problem is that people have the same numbers on the sim card
    > as they do in their phone memory. By default, Nokia phones use "Sim and
    > Phone" memory by default. This should be set to use phone memory only in
    the
    > settings if this is the case.
    >
    > Adam

    yep that could be the case

    me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot use
    some of the functions, BUT

    when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)

    "Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > yep that could be the case
    >
    > me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot use
    > some of the functions, BUT
    >
    > when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)

    So store the numbers in your SIM as well, but use the phone memory.

    Works for me..!

    Ivor

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:06:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:

    >"Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> yep that could be the case
    >>
    >> me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot use
    >> some of the functions, BUT
    >>
    >> when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)
    >
    >So store the numbers in your SIM as well, but use the phone memory.
    >
    >Works for me..!

    Better still, store the numbers in your phone so that you get the full
    functionality of that, but backup your entire phone contents to a PC
    regularly so that you can restore everything if your phone gets lost
    or stolen.

    Chris

    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:06:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote:
    >

    > >"Johnnie5" <ducatiau@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >[snip]
    > >
    > >> yep that could be the case
    > >>
    > >> me personally i only use sim memory , this restricts that you cannot
    use
    > >> some of the functions, BUT
    > >>
    > >> when your phone dies you stil have all your numbers :)
    > >
    > >So store the numbers in your SIM as well, but use the phone memory.
    > >
    > >Works for me..!
    >
    > Better still, store the numbers in your phone so that you get the full
    > functionality of that, but backup your entire phone contents to a PC
    > regularly so that you can restore everything if your phone gets lost
    > or stolen.

    thats what i keep my old sims for , all numbers stored in old sims

    never had a phone lost or stolen yet in 13 years
    broken yes but never stolen or lost

    > Chris

Nokia Phones