Sign in with
Your question

New gaming build

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2012 5:16:41 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: This week
Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, music, regular browsing

Are you buying a monitor:No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, will buy elsewhere online if better deals

Parts Preferences:Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p

Additional Comments: While I do need the operating system, I dont need it included in this build for the budget. I have an extra 100$ for the OS. I would prefer for it to run very quiet and cool, this is important to me.

I Want my computer to be able to play games on ultra settings, then I will upgrade to sli and begin overclocking it as it gets out of date. I would prefer to get better GPU, Motherboard, etc. instead of spending more on SSD, I plan on adding stuff to it in a few months.

THis is what I have so far. This with the specials included runs me 1,111$ on newegg. Not including rebates.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKFC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKFC/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKFC/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (229 Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($115.73 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)

More about : gaming build

July 22, 2012 5:27:06 PM

I would rather get the 7950 when overclocked to 1.1Ghz its beats out a 670 and performs close to the 7970 and 680. Grab the Sapphire dual fans 7950, with the price drop it the best bang for the buck right noe oh and with an extra 1GB Vram too
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2012 5:27:40 PM

That graphics card is what I have on my newegg shopping cart list. I may have clicked wrong one above.
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:29:22 PM

redeemer said:
I would rather get the 7950 when overclocked to 1.1Ghz its beats out a 670 and performs close to the 7970 and 680. Grab the Sapphire dual fans 7950, with the price drop it the best bang for the buck right noe oh and with an extra 1GB Vram too

The GTX 670 FTW already performs better than a GTX 680: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-gefor...
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:32:45 PM

If I can spend lest and expect similar performance then thats what I want. I just want the computer to be capable or running current games at ultra settings, I fully plan to add another card in the future to keep up with games changing. If you guys can find ways to save me money but still keep great performance then I am all for it.
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:33:39 PM

Ironslice said:
The GTX 670 FTW already performs better than a GTX 680: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-gefor...

Again that is great and all but its more expensive, when you overclock the 7950 it can surpass those cards. You see the 7000 series has more of a performance increase when overclocked when compared to the 600 series. Plus you get more Vram better for MSAA and higher resolutions.
m
l
July 22, 2012 6:45:12 PM

newtogaming25 said:
If I can spend lest and expect similar performance then thats what I want. I just want the computer to be capable or running current games at ultra settings, I fully plan to add another card in the future to keep up with games changing. If you guys can find ways to save me money but still keep great performance then I am all for it.

By the time the 670, 7970 or 680 starts to feel sluggish in games, there will probably be a better single card on the market to replace it with rather than adding a 2nd one.
m
l
July 22, 2012 10:48:28 PM

So would It be wise to create a build that dosnt need all the bells and whistles required for SLI and save some money? I would be fine if I had to just replace the card in a few years. I dont really know much about SLI anyway so I wasnt really thrilled about adding a whole second card.
m
l
July 22, 2012 10:55:08 PM

Btw, you can't buy the i5 at MC online for that price. It is an in-store deal only.
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:00:11 PM

I know that, Pcpartpicker chose that not me. I only used the list as a easy reference. I said in my OP I dont live close to the stores. I also said I was using newegg, but am open to other online retailers If I can receive a better price.
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:05:44 PM

Use the BBCMarkup tool on the website and choose Newegg.
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:14:28 PM

newtogaming25 said:
So would It be wise to create a build that dosnt need all the bells and whistles required for SLI and save some money? I would be fine if I had to just replace the card in a few years. I dont really know much about SLI anyway so I wasnt really thrilled about adding a whole second card.

Honestly, the only parts in your computer that are truly "future proof" are your case, power supply, optical drive, and your hard drive. Even if faster hard drives come out you can probably still use them as a secondary. In a "few years", say 4 to 5 you'll ideally be beginning a new cycle of a new CPU, motherboard, and video card (and possibly RAM, as DDR4 is expected to start coming out in that time frame). Its generally cheaper in the long run to build a system that will do everything you want it to do today, rather than try to buy more bells and whistles than you actually need and expect the computer to stay on top of things for 8 or 9 years.

The build you have right now, is about what one would expect to pay for high performance, that build will max out any game you can think of on the market today, and will easily rival $2500 pre-builds from Alienware/Dell, to put it in perspective. Although personally, my opinion is the 7970 is the better choice than the GTX 670 or 680.
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:15:05 PM

Whew... Now that we have that out of the way azeem40, any useful input to the build?

Im still at a loss, if the money can be better spent building a computer that can be fast for now and then upgrading the GPU later. Or building a build that is upgradable by adding a second card? I would still overclock either way, with this in mind what do you guys think?
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:20:03 PM

That was useful. You now save $14.
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:20:40 PM

Nekulturny thanks for the input. Ya from what everyone is saying I really want to maximize my money and get the best system for now without needing to have room for sli. I did pick my board and my power supply specifically to be able to sli. I dont know if I can save and get the same performance out of lower stuff?
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:38:24 PM

You're welcome.

Actually for an overclocked CPU and dual 7970s in Crossfire (same thing as SLi but for AMD cards) (or dual 670s in SLi), you should be considering a 750 watt PSU like a Corsair TX750v2 (which is Seasonic made) or potentially even 850 model. Now for a single card setup 650 is more than enough. Its always good to get a better power supply than you actually need, so long as you don't crossover into ridiculous overkill like 1000-1200 watt PSUs. A good power supply can last you 10 years easily, and Seasonic is one of the best.

As far as the motherboard, thats a pretty decent one, even for a single video card setup, I really wouldnt want to go much lower than that. The other advantage of a good quality motherboard is in overclocking stability.

As far as cutting cost, you could drop down on the video card to something like a 7870 or 7850 and still get awesome gaming performance but it really depends on what resolutions you're looking to play, as this is where the higher end cards like 7970s and GTX 670s will really set themselves apart from the rest of the pack.
m
l
!