Replace 8 year Antech with Corsair HX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghkj21

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I have an old Antech SP-500 powering my system and I'm just a little concerned about its age. The label says Made In China 2004 and its seen quite a bit of continuous use but not allot of extreme loads (yet). Is this thing likely to crap out on me? Will it hurt my system? I'm getting an XFX HD6770 soon and I just wanna make sure all my ducks are in a row.

My current setup:
MoBo--ASRock 970 EXTREME3
CPU--> 3.9ghz--AMD Phenom II X4 970
RAM (AMD)--4x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9
GPU--PNY Nvidia 9500 GT 1GB
HDD--WD750 72,000rpm
PSU--Antech SP-500

I was considering a Corsair HX series if the Atech needs to go. HX650 or HX750, the 750 is easier to come by and I can actually get it for less... Given the same efficiency rating, there isn't any drawback to getting the 750 is there? (electric bill) I imagine either would offer electric savings over the 8 year old Antech...

Solution
My antec 350w is about 8 years old, and it still runs well; voltages are stable. Check the voltages in the bios. You're allowed +/-.5%. 12v reading can be about 11.7-12.2. The 6770 doesn't require more juice than your current antec can supply; you should be fine, but if you replace it, get the antec earthwatts if it's about the same price as the corsair. You only need about 40 amps on the 12v rail for your system. 550-650w is plenty.

Hi - the only drawback to the 750w (since 550w is more than you need) is the xtra unnecessary cost.
If you live in an area with very high electric rates and your PC is on a substantial part of the day,
then go for a gold/silver rated unit.

That Antec might run another 5 yrs without issue, but I'd upgrade now if you have the funds.
Stay with quality brands; Antec, Corsair AX, HX, or TX series, Seasonic, PC P&C, Enermax, XFX, etc.
550w is plenty.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.