Sign in with
Your question

Amd Phenom ii x4 BE 965 or FX 8320

Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:07:00 PM

I am planning on building a desktop with one of these 2 processors. I am on a budget so i really cant afford to pay for a good i5.

The main uses for this computer will be Gaming, microsoft office (word, excel, powerpoint), and just surfing the internet.

The phenom ii x4 BE 965 is 89.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The FX 8320 is 164.99

The one that i get will be paired with a nvidia geforce gtx 660 ti, and ill play games like Skyrim, Arma 2, and BF3, so which one would be the best bang for the buck and offer the best performance?

Thanks!

More about : amd phenom 965 8320

a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:09:25 PM

Hi :) 

The 965...plus a little overclocking...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:11:57 PM

8320. Much better multithreading performance and at least as good if not better single threaded performance. BF3 multiplayer will run much better on it than 965.

EDIT: @ Brett928S2. This is Vishera not Bulldozer. Vishera has noticeably better IPC than Bulldozer.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:18:01 PM

The FX-8320 is the faster CPU.
Take a look at this comparison: AMD Phenom II 965 BE Vs. AMD FX-8320

The FX CPU beats the Phenom in almost every test and usually by a fairly wide margin.
m
l
December 3, 2012 6:27:32 PM

well if i were to get the 965 BE and pair it with a GTX 670 and overclock them, would that be better then the fx 8320 paired with GTX 660 ti
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:36:44 PM

Baumber said:
well if i were to get the 965 BE and pair it with a GTX 670 and overclock them, would that be better then the fx 8320 paired with GTX 660 ti

In terms of gaming, the GPU is going to be far more noticeable than any difference between the fastest AMD processor options. Whether you pick an 8350, 8320, 6300, or even a Phenom X4, the CPU isn't generally of much matter once you reach the point at which it's fast enough to channel the full potential workload to the GPU. I'm not a gamer and have lower-end cards to speak with regards to (HD 6870, 6850), but there really is more difference between those two nearly identical cards than there is between my Athlon X3 455 and my Phenom X4 965 when looking at frame rates.

If you are talking about overall performance, the better personal computer processor is clearly the 8320, and either of those graphics cards is so far beyond what you'd even cause to break a sweat for standard tasks, it would be inconsequential.

Summary: if you are gaming, buy the best possible GPU and opt for better performance/cost pick with the Phenom. If you want the configuration that a non-gamer would definitely evaluate as being the better performer, go with the FX processor. :hello: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 6:53:50 PM

Baumber said:
I am planning on building a desktop with one of these 2 processors. I am on a budget so i really cant afford to pay for a good i5.

The main uses for this computer will be Gaming, microsoft office (word, excel, powerpoint), and just surfing the internet.

The FX 8320 is 164.99

The one that i get will be paired with a nvidia geforce gtx 660 ti, and ill play games like Skyrim, Arma 2, and BF3, so which one would be the best bang for the buck and offer the best performance?

Thanks!

Come on - you're so close. Save another $20 for the i5: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

No reason to saddle up with AMD if you're willing to pay that amount for a gaming CPU.

Edit - the FX6300 will give you the same gaming performance, btw. If you can't go over $165, then get an i3-3220 or FX-6300.
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:15:26 PM

what is a good motherboard i could use with the i5, id like it to be under $80 if possible
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 7:21:18 PM

Baumber said:
what is a good motherboard i could use with the i5, id like it to be under $80 if possible

Maybe there is a decent $80 option for Intel (I wouldn't know, it's been too long with AMD)- but generally speaking, you aren't going to find a $80 board that is produced by a quality company which can even claim to offer basic features like SATA III connections. The motherboard is going to determine everything from how fast your hard drives and USB connections are to what your overclocking limits will be; I would buy a good motherboard and budget CPU for later upgrade before I'd build a project around a $80 board.....
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:27:41 PM

jessterman21 said:
Come on - you're so close. Save another $20 for the i5: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

No reason to saddle up with AMD if you're willing to pay that amount for a gaming CPU.

Edit - the FX6300 will give you the same gaming performance, btw. If you can't go over $165, then get an i3-3220 or FX-6300.

He wants amd please back off
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:28:53 PM

The cheapest good mobo for the i5 is the asrock extreme 4 at 120 id recomend the 8320 rather than the i5 becuase the 4 extra cores for multi tasking and bf3 favors more core
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 7:29:49 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
Maybe there is a decent $80 option for Intel (I wouldn't know, it's been too long with AMD)- but generally speaking, you aren't going to find a $80 board that is produced by a quality company which can even claim to offer basic features like SATA III connections. The motherboard is going to determine everything from how fast your hard drives and USB connections are to what your overclocking limits will be; I would buy a good motherboard and budget CPU for later upgrade before I'd build a project around a $80 board.....

See, I would do the opposite - because my only concern is gaming. You forsake overclocking and a few extra ports and slots, but you still get the necessities, and it will play games just as well as a >$200 board.

I'd get this one with the i5-3470: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Still get 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 SATA 3 port + 3 SATA 2 ports, PCIe 3.0 - all for the low, low price of $60 with shipping. There is absolutely no reason for you to spend more on a mobo considering your computing needs.

Also, if you're near a Microcenter, you can get that i5 for $150!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 7:34:31 PM

You can find an i5 used then. You can afford it, but buying a new motherboard (if you don't have an intel lying around) could make it out of your price range.
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:58:30 PM

well since a graphics card is much more important in gaming then the processor, im just going to stick with the phenom ii x4 965 BE for now, with a ASUS M5A99X EVO mobo and a nvidia geforce gtx 670

Ill OC the processor and in the future if i need a little bit more performance ill upgrade the processor once i save up more money.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:07:44 PM

jessterman21 said:
See, I would do the opposite - because my only concern is gaming. You forsake overclocking and a few extra ports and slots, but you still get the necessities, and it will play games just as well as a >$200 board.

I'd get this one with the i5-3470: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Still get 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 SATA 3 port + 3 SATA 2 ports, PCIe 3.0 - all for the low, low price of $60 with shipping. There is absolutely no reason for you to spend more on a mobo considering your computing needs.

I suppose it comes down to preference, how the system will be used, how long you intend to keep the rig, and whether you tend to favor rebuilding around the foundation or just scrapping the whole thing when it becomes outdated. That board is indeed a great value. I don't think I know of any AMD AM3+ boards with both USB 3.0 and a signle SATA III for that price range.

Still, I can't help but think that at some point, I'd regret settling for only two memory slots and basic 3+1 power phasing. I can attest the fact that at least with a Phenom CPU, the difference between a board along these lines and a $160 board as the platform for a Phenom 965 was hitting the wall at 3800mhz stable, and 4300mhz stable. And that clock difference seriously felt noticeable enough to seem like I had just upgraded to an entirely different CPU. Of course most of these things aren't universal truth and everyone's mileage will vary. Just interesting to see how differently people can approach the same scenerio. :hello: 
m
l
December 3, 2012 8:10:42 PM

you cant afford $30 more for the cpu? if you an theres the 4300 quad core or 6300 6 core very similar in price yet hyge peformance leap
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:16:22 PM

its not just the cpu, but i also need a good motherboard, and my brother has a phenom ii x4 and he loves it, so im going to go with that, a better graphics card, and a better motherboard, and if i need to upgrade my processor i can in the future,

if i pay more for an i5, then i would have to get a cheaper intel mobo, and i would have to get a cheaper graphics card as well

And i believe that it is better to spend more on a graphics card then on the cpu

So my choices would be an i5 with cheap mobo and a gtx 660 OR a phenom ii x4 965 BE with a good mobo and a GTX 670
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:19:15 PM

Baumber said:
its not just the cpu, but i also need a good motherboard, and my brother has a phenom ii x4 and he loves it, so im going to go with that, a better graphics card, and a better motherboard, and if i need to upgrade my processor i can in the future,

if i pay more for an i5, then i would have to get a cheaper intel mobo, and i would have to get a cheaper graphics card as well

And i believe that it is better to spend more on a graphics card then on the cpu

So my choices would be an i5 with cheap mobo and a gtx 660 OR a phenom ii x4 965 BE with a good mobo and a GTX 670

Ok but id recomend the amd 7950 for the gpu since its $100 cheaper and 10% faster
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:27:52 PM

yea i was considering buying that but, i really want physx and borderlands 2, though i can have the cpu run, it but it wont run as good, and the gtx 670 is only $310 right now and it comes with AC3 and Borderlands 2, which are two games that i want to buy
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:31:44 PM

Baumber said:
yea i was considering buying that but, i really want physx and borderlands 2, though i can have the cpu run, it but it wont run as good, and the gtx 670 is only $310 right now and it comes with AC3 and Borderlands 2, which are two games that i want to buy

Ya but almost wveryother game runs better on the 79750 plus you have an extra 1gb of vram to spare against the 670 so more aa ect
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:56:30 PM

well with the gtx 670 i will be maxing out every game, right now my res. is 1680x1050 and i will get a better monitor probably for christmas with 1920x1080 but you got to remember, the 670 comes with 2 free games that i am going to buy if i get the 7970 or 7950, which overall will make it more expensive to

i do like the amd gpu's a lot, but the 670 is good for what i need and is overall cheaper
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 1:35:50 AM

Baumber said:
well with the gtx 670 i will be maxing out every game, right now my res. is 1680x1050 and i will get a better monitor probably for christmas with 1920x1080 but you got to remember, the 670 comes with 2 free games that i am going to buy if i get the 7970 or 7950, which overall will make it more expensive to

i do like the amd gpu's a lot, but the 670 is good for what i need and is overall cheaper

Go for it - the GTX 670 is an amazing card. You won't be using near 2GB VRAM in any game, much less 3GB. And I agree - the extra features Nvidia cards have are worth it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 2:23:42 AM

Yup at 1080p even a 1gig card should suffice. Hell I only max out 800 megs at 1080 even on crysis 2
m
l
December 4, 2012 2:02:21 PM

Baumber said:

The FX 8320 is 164.99

Thanks!

Phenom II is a terrible processor. It will end up bottlenecking everything. I recommend you get at least an i5 instead.

m
l
December 4, 2012 2:57:08 PM

Or an 8350/20
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2012 11:17:07 PM

lordvr said:
Phenom II is a terrible processor.

Making overly dramatic, sweeping statements about a processor that may well be selling the most units of any model currently on the market.... probably not a great way to highlight your credibility on a new forum.

The Phenoms were/are excellent processors. The X4 965 is not going to be some massive bottleneck on a system. I suppose it wouldn't be too great to use at stock 3.4 speeds, but there is a reason AMD specifically released black editions, and the minimum speed anyone should be running with automatic tuning is 3800mhz+.

I would love to know what you mean by "bottleneck everything". What exactly would you perceive the framerate difference to be in the same scene of a game for for a 660 Ti with an i5 vs a 660 Ti with the Phenom 965?
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
December 4, 2012 11:22:30 PM

why not just get an i3 3220? its faster than those amd cpu's for gaming for less $$.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:13:11 PM

well i am also thinking of OC it andi have never done it before, so i want something easy to OC and a processor that isnt worth a lot of money because if i mess up, then its better to wreck a $90 processor then a $150 processor
m
l
January 10, 2014 9:03:17 AM

I'm running a 965 BE with a Gigabyte HD 7950 as we speak.
Games I play;
World of tanks
EvE Online
War Thunder
Planetside 2
all on Ultra
also
Skyrim (86 gigs of uber modded goodnesswith ENB, HD 2K, and 4K textures )
I'm overclocked to 3.9Ghz (Hyper 212)
I run Teamspeak and youtube on a seperate monitor while gaming.
When the day comes that I actually NEED to upgrade I'll just slap in a new 12 core or whatever and be done ; unlike the Intel guy who finds himself having to buy a new MOBO to put his new core parked , ball-grid , overpriced , remote killswitch embedded CPU ...

m
l
!