Sign in with
Your question

Home entertainment / business build

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2012 6:32:41 PM

Hi all,

I am finally replacing by Lennovo T61 laptop, which I use as a desktop at home these days. with a proper desktop.

Intended use - Home and some business
- Internet surfing
- Movie watching
- Quite heavy MSOffice use (many large open files concurrently)
- Some video editing @ 1080p (nothing professional, just kid videos)
- Casual gaming + older games + CIV5 which I'd like to be able to run with playable frame rates at medium settings
- In the future, I'd like to expand the system with a graphics card to be able to play modern games (but not shooters..) Not required now

Other considerations
- Will be connected to three monitors: 24", 19" and 42" LCD TV, with the 19" and 42" sharing the same picture.
- I'd like to have a quiet build. Doesn't have to be silent but reasonably quiet.
- I don't plan to bother with overclocking
- $700 budget but can go higher if necessary.
- No monitor needed.
- I live abroad and can shop only amazon.

The setup I was thinking about -

core i5-3450 - $190

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P mobo - $95
Don't plan to overclock, don't need SRT. Therefore decided to go with the lower cost B75 rather than the H77 or Z77.
Chose this rather than the GA-B75M-D3H because I need the SPDIFF port and like the optional displayport.

Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX by Kingston - $43

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB sata 6.0 - $100
As a system + software drive

Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s - $120
For media

Windows 7 - $90

Open questions

1. Looking for a good looking, quiet, not-to-big mATX case - What would you recommend, considering that the only expected expansion is a graphics card?
2. Which PSU should I use?
3. Shall I go Crucial SSD instead of Sandisk - 128Gb for almost the same price?
4. Should I go for higher end memory?
5. Any other comment on any component?

Your advice is much appreciated!

Me
July 26, 2012 10:09:40 PM

I'd go with something like this...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d56V

I included a blu ray player for movies and what not.

I didn't bother with an overclockable board and CPU as it would be a waste unless you plan on doing heavy gaming. I wouldn't bother with an SSD for now. You can just add that as a later upgrade if needed/desired.

I recommend the PC power and cooling psu. It's a great power supply that has modular capabilities. This will help with cable management and air flow.

You don't need "higher end" memory. You won't notice a difference in the applications you'll be running. The kingston RAM will be adequate. If you want something that looks "cooler", I'd recommend this...
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!
!