Sign in with
Your question

Trying to upgrade my very old CPU

Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 7:29:37 PM

Hey everyone, so this is my PC: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Yes, very old indeed. Basically, I got tired of having awful graphics on every game I played (only games online, I don't use this PC for any console games, so keep that in mind); so I bought a Radeon: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I also upgraded my PSU to 430w, even though the Graphics card worked with my standard 250w.

I've been using the graphics card for about 2 months now, and ever since I first installed it, mundane tasks like opening Microsoft word, and opening the internet or opening another tab, or running multiple basic programs at once, goes a lot slower than it used to.

My main questions are basically: is the slowness because the graphics card, although it does not connect to my MB, draws too much power?

Or can my CPU just not keep up with the graphics card now?

If I'm in need of a CPU upgrade, all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since I don't really know where to start for not-up-to-date stuff (because I know I would be buying a semi-old CPU because of how old my PC and all the components are).

EDIT: Which processor of the 5 that my motherboard supports would be the best upgrade? Would there even be any benefit of buying any of them? Does my current problem even mean it is my processor?

More about : upgrade cpu

December 3, 2012 7:48:53 PM

what do you have in there right now cpu wise
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 10:36:06 PM

An issue with buying a machine from a computer manufacturer is usually the BIOS will not support other CPUs, despite socket - I say toss your machine, go and custom build one, perhaps a COre i3 with 8GB DDR3 1866, a MSI Z77 motherboard, a Nvidia Geforce GTX 650ti, a new hard drive + disc drives and a 500W PSU
December 4, 2012 1:29:48 AM

and exactly how pricey would this be? lol.
December 4, 2012 1:32:47 AM

Can someone still try to assess my problem? Is my *** running slow because of my processor not being able to keep up with everything now that I put in a graphics card or what?
a c 134 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 1:37:49 AM

download and install the latest radeon drivers from amd.
December 4, 2012 1:48:26 AM

Yup, I've done that
anything else?
!