Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI GTX 660ti SLI PSU question

Last response: in Components
December 3, 2012 7:47:32 PM

Quick question....I know a million people have asked these questions and I have read many of them but none of them mentioned my exact PSU so I am going to go ahead and ask....I apologize. My system is as follows:

i5-3570k (not currently OC'ed but might soon)
8gb corsair vengeance ddr3 ram
750gb seagate momentus hybrid drive
msi gtx660ti power edition gpu
msi z77-g45 mobo
no sound card (use onboard)

This is my PSU: It's a 620w Seasonic.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am wondering if I can run 2 of these cards in SLI with this PSU. I will not be overclocking them in SLI any more than they come from the factory. Any advice or answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 7:53:16 PM

Well they need less than 300W so you are ok. There a lot of ppl runnning Sli 660 Ti . Taht PSU is just great and can give more than 620W if needed. So no worry go ahed and enjoy the SLI
m
l

Best solution

a c 1202 ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 8:54:05 PM

For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 45-50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The Seasonic M12II-620 Bronze (SS-620GM), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than electrically sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 Ti in 2-way SLI mode. The only problem is that it is deficient by two PCI Express supplementary power connectors. You'll have to resort to using a couple of dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector adapter cables. MSI usually includes at least one of those External Power Cables, as they call them, in each graphics card package.
Related resources
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 8:57:11 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 45-50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The Seasonic M12II-620 Bronze (SS-620GM), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than electrically sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 Ti in 2-way SLI mode. The only problem is that it is deficient by two PCI Express supplementary power connectors. You'll have to resort to using a couple of dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector adapter cables. MSI usually includes at least one of those External Power Cables, as they call them, in each graphics card package.
+1 What he said. :lol:  ;) 
m
l
December 3, 2012 9:56:11 PM

Best answer selected by jamespwl.
m
l
December 3, 2012 9:58:01 PM

So with my PSU and buying 2 new MSI 660ti's...I should have all the power connectors I need? (You said the PSU was missing 2 but since I am buying 2 of the cards they should have them included?)
m
l
a c 1202 ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 10:09:59 PM

jamespwl said:
So with my PSU and buying 2 new MSI 660ti's...I should have all the power connectors I need? (You said the PSU was missing 2 but since I am buying 2 of the cards they should have them included?)

Yes.
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:11:35 PM

Sorry for all the newb questions....this is the last one. Is the SLI bridge in the box with my motherboard? I guess what I am figuring out is is there anything that I will need that I won't have when all my components arrive?
m
l
a c 1202 ) Power supply
December 4, 2012 2:15:32 AM

jamespwl said:
Sorry for all the newb questions....this is the last one. Is the SLI bridge in the box with my motherboard? I guess what I am figuring out is is there anything that I will need that I won't have when all my components arrive?

Yes, it should be included with the motherboard since all motherboards that support SLI do not have the same slot spacing for the PCIe x16 graphics card slots.
m
l
!