Mages

What are some stategies that mages can use when everything they dish out
is resisted? I'm trying to explore new areas and it's looking like I am
totally useless! Every spell I have is resisted by almost every creature.
My melee is almost nothing, just my staff, but my armor is too weak to
support melee anyway. Any suggestions?

mikel

Diaboyos wrote:
> What are some stategies that mages can use when everything they dish out
> is resisted? I'm trying to explore new areas and it's looking like I am
> totally useless! Every spell I have is resisted by almost every creature.
> My melee is almost nothing, just my staff, but my armor is too weak to
> support melee anyway. Any suggestions?

Depends on why you are being resisted. It could be because you are using
Fire spells on things with very high Fire resistance, or Frost spells on
things with really high Frost resistance. Or, if, as you say,
*everything* is being resisted, that likely means you are attacking mobs
that are 4 or more levels higher than you.

In the first case, the solution is to use spells that the mobs don't
resist. If they resist Fire, use Frost and Arcane. If they resist Frost,
use Fire and Arcane.

If it's the second case, either team up with someone who isn't a
spellcaster, or hunt in lower-level areas.

mikel

mikel wrote:
> Diaboyos wrote:
>
>> What are some stategies that mages can use when everything they
>> dish out
>> is resisted? I'm trying to explore new areas and it's looking like I am
>> totally useless! Every spell I have is resisted by almost every
>> creature.
>> My melee is almost nothing, just my staff, but my armor is too weak to
>> support melee anyway. Any suggestions?
>

> Depends on why you are being resisted. It could be because you are using
> Fire spells on things with very high Fire resistance, or Frost spells on
> things with really high Frost resistance. Or, if, as you say,
> *everything* is being resisted, that likely means you are attacking mobs
> that are 4 or more levels higher than you.
>
> In the first case, the solution is to use spells that the mobs don't
> resist. If they resist Fire, use Frost and Arcane. If they resist Frost,
> use Fire and Arcane.
>
> If it's the second case, either team up with someone who isn't a
> spellcaster, or hunt in lower-level areas.

Oh, and one more solution, one that I like to use: take mining and
engineering as your professions, and build yourself some helpers
(explosives and combat mechanicals).

"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message
> Diaboyos wrote:
> > What are some stategies that mages can use when everything they dish
out
> > is resisted? I'm trying to explore new areas and it's looking like I am
> > totally useless! Every spell I have is resisted by almost every
creature.
> > My melee is almost nothing, just my staff, but my armor is too weak to
> > support melee anyway. Any suggestions?
>
> Depends on why you are being resisted. It could be because you are using
> Fire spells on things with very high Fire resistance, or Frost spells on
> things with really high Frost resistance. Or, if, as you say,
> *everything* is being resisted, that likely means you are attacking mobs
> that are 4 or more levels higher than you.
>
> In the first case, the solution is to use spells that the mobs don't
> resist. If they resist Fire, use Frost and Arcane. If they resist Frost,
> use Fire and Arcane.
>
> If it's the second case, either team up with someone who isn't a
> spellcaster, or hunt in lower-level areas.

So 4 or more levels above me will typically resist most of the spells I
have? That's good to know. There are other places I can visit first, I
just had most of the missions going to this one place where I can't seem to
hurt anything! Guess I'll drop those missions and head to a less hostile
environment.

Diaboyos wrote:
> So 4 or more levels above me will typically resist most of the spells I
> have? That's good to know. There are other places I can visit first, I
> just had most of the missions going to this one place where I can't seem to
> hurt anything! Guess I'll drop those missions and head to a less hostile
> environment.

An NPC whose level is coloured orange will resist a large amount of
damage. A red NPC level means they're pretty much guaranteed to resist
everything.

David.

mikel

David Gardner wrote:
> Diaboyos wrote:
>
>> So 4 or more levels above me will typically resist most of the
>> spells I
>> have? That's good to know. There are other places I can visit first, I
>> just had most of the missions going to this one place where I can't
>> seem to
>> hurt anything! Guess I'll drop those missions and head to a less hostile
>> environment.
>>

> An NPC whose level is coloured orange will resist a large amount of
> damage. A red NPC level means they're pretty much guaranteed to resist
> everything.

That's slightly overstating the case. I have actually killed red mobs
with the help of a good tank of my level...but I've also had to flee in
terror from them too.

Bit of a different subject, but still sort of under mages...

Is it cheaper for a mage that has died 5 times at level 40 to repair armour
than a warrior who has died 5 times at level 40, assuming they both had
armour for a level 40 player of their class. Is the repair cost relative to
the amount of armour a piece uses, if so a warriors repair bill is always
going to be alot higher than a mages, since 95% of the time they will be hit
in battle, is their a balance at all? You could say that a mage has a
higher chance of dying and so that is where it balances out, but you could
also say that a warrior as a tank has just as high a chance if there are no
decent healers.

Or it could be that its just percentage that counts?, a mage with 40 armour
durability and a warrior with 400, dying 5 times will take mage down to 20
and warrior down to 200 (but warriors would probably be a bit lower from all
the tanking)

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Hehe, today i was helping out a higher lvl guildy who was grinding in
winterspring. I was just there to supply water and food. Me being a lvl
42 mage my arcane spells were resisted 99% of the time against lvl ??
yeti's. BUT they would get through sometimes and do 30+ dmg. I was
vital to the expedition. :p

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

>> An NPC whose level is coloured orange will resist a large amount of damage. A
>> red NPC level means they're pretty much guaranteed to resist everything.
>
> That's slightly overstating the case. I have actually killed red mobs with the
> help of a good tank of my level...but I've also had to flee in terror from
> them too.

In the case of a solo mage...RUN.

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Jimbob" <richard.burkinshaw@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hehe, today i was helping out a higher lvl guildy who was grinding in
> winterspring. I was just there to supply water and food. Me being a lvl
> 42 mage my arcane spells were resisted 99% of the time against lvl ??
> yeti's. BUT they would get through sometimes and do 30+ dmg. I was
> vital to the expedition. :p

Don't knock it..I've had times when I was helping out a few lower lvl guildies,
taking down 5-10 mobs in SM, with a lower lvl priest healing me and another mage
helping out. There were a few times that extra 30 or so damage saved my life :)

mikel wrote:
> David Gardner wrote:
>> An NPC whose level is coloured orange will resist a large amount of
>> damage. A red NPC level means they're pretty much guaranteed to resist
>> everything.
>

> That's slightly overstating the case. I have actually killed red mobs
> with the help of a good tank of my level...but I've also had to flee in
> terror from them too.

Yeah, with a group, all things are possible! But it's pretty
demoralising when you're watching Arcane Missile rounds being completely
resisted or reduced to 5 HP.

David.

mikel

David Gardner wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>
>> David Gardner wrote:
>>
>>> An NPC whose level is coloured orange will resist a large amount of
>>> damage. A red NPC level means they're pretty much guaranteed to
>>> resist everything.
>>

>> That's slightly overstating the case. I have actually killed red mobs
>> with the help of a good tank of my level...but I've also had to flee
>> in terror from them too.
>

> Yeah, with a group, all things are possible! But it's pretty
> demoralising when you're watching Arcane Missile rounds being completely
> resisted or reduced to 5 HP.

Demoralizing? I'd say highly motivating. In the other direction. Quickly.

:)