Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$4.000 Build for 3d Modeling and Rendering (ADVICE NEEDED)

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2012 8:45:26 PM

Hi, I'm a newcomer to building computers from Brazil. I have a budget of 4000 dollars to build a machine for 3d modeling and rendering. It can be PC or Mac, i'm just looking for the best price/benefit.

Approximate Purchase Date: next 2 weeks

Budget Range: $4000 or less (if a machine cheaper than this can do the job it will be awesome!)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d modeling and rendering. Main programs are Rhinoceros, cinema 4d and CS5.

Are you buying a monitor: Probably going to buy locally. No need to include on the build. But suggestions are welcomed.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: i have no experience, so no preferences, hehe

Parts Preferences: no

Overclocking: Preferably not, only if i get much more performance out of it

SLI or Crossfire: From what i read SLI will help in rendering fast, but i don't know what will be better. Advices would be welcome.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 suggestion are welcome

Additional Comments: There will be no gaming in this computer, just modeling, rendering and CS5 besides usual needs like browsing the internet.

Thanks in advance for the patience to deal with someone who knows as little as possible about this.

Best solution

July 26, 2012 7:43:20 AM

I'm not gonna lie, I've honestly dreaded having to give you build advice, lol. Not because I dislike you or anything, but because I'm ignorant of modeling programs and such. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give you some advice anyways considering no one else has bothered to do so.

Here goes nothing...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d2Dy

The CPU is the 2nd most powerful CPU available to consumers. The 3960x price just doesn't justify the small performance gains.

The SLI gtx 680s will help with performance scaling and cuda cores in rendering and what not.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability. Good luck! :) 
July 26, 2012 10:34:25 AM

CUDA processing doesn't need/use SLI. (You address the two CUDA devices as separate devices) Most processional apps ignore it as well. The card memory in SLi isn't cumulative either, so you're still stuck with a 2 GB limit....

Deus' configuration looks okay. I'd remove the extra 680 because your applications may not use it (check with the vendors, I'm rather sure that Rhino doesn't...). Take the money saved and build a render node.

No seriously, I know that finished animations are likely to be sent off to commercial renderfarms.. but what about local test renders? even single frame renders? Most people aren't aware that you can slave render nodes to help do renders even in single frame renders on most tile/bucket based renderers, particularly VRay.
Related resources
July 26, 2012 1:48:38 PM

Deus, first of all, thanks for the build. It is better than the one i got here, not even worth it postin it.

Draven i went looking for information about rhino. He does support SLI/Crossfire technology. Here is the link if you wanna check because maybe i got it wrong. So Deus build is validated.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/twodisplayadapters

I have a small infrastructure, so no render farms :/ . I never seen render node, i don't even know what is it to build one.

I'm really thankful for your help guys. You're really helping me here.
July 26, 2012 10:15:59 PM

Oh, one more thing. I actually just came across this CPU cooler. Someone had recommended it. It looks much better than the noctua in my opinion, and it performs at about the same level as the noctua.

Zalman CNPS12X Pure COPPER/ALUMINUM High Perf Triple Fan CPU Cooler
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=67333&vpn=CNPS12X&manu...
July 27, 2012 4:01:54 AM

DeusAres said:
I'm not gonna lie, I've honestly dreaded having to give you build advice, lol. Not because I dislike you or anything, but because I'm ignorant of modeling programs and such. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give you some advice anyways considering no one else has bothered to do so.

Here goes nothing...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d2Dy

The CPU is the 2nd most powerful CPU available to consumers. The 3960x price just doesn't justify the small performance gains.

The SLI gtx 680s will help with performance scaling and cuda cores in rendering and what not.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability. Good luck! :) 

That looks really good but I'm a bit curious as to why you'd go with an AX1200 when - even with 2 690's that's not really necessary.

You could also get an NZXT Switch 810 for like 1/2 the cost of that Obsidian 800D, I only recommend that case for something like a server build where you'd need the hot swap HD bays.
July 27, 2012 4:07:04 AM

g-unit1111 said:
That looks really good but I'm a bit curious as to why you'd go with an AX1200 when - even with 2 690's that's not really necessary.

You could also get an NZXT Switch 810 for like 1/2 the cost of that Obsidian 800D, I only recommend that case for something like a server build where you'd need the hot swap HD bays.

I did it just for upgrade reasons. He won't have to buy another PSU for a long time. I went with the Corsair 800d because I like the design a bit better than the switch 810. However, the OP is more than welcome to change the case to whatever suits his style and needs. :) 
July 27, 2012 4:21:25 AM

g-unit1111 said:

I actually have a couple questions for you. Is it problematic using a 42inch HDTV as a monitor? Is there lot's of input lag or other issues? I've been thinking about it for a while now. I'd rather not have to take money from my actual build and buy a separate monitor.
July 27, 2012 4:26:39 AM

DeusAres said:
I actually have a couple questions for you. Is it problematic using a 42inch HDTV as a monitor? Is there lot's of input lag or other issues? I've been thinking about it for a while now. I'd rather not have to take money from my actual build and buy a separate monitor.

The only time it gets problematic is when you play strategy games like Civ V or Diablo III - my TV is mounted to the wall so it puts quite the strain on my neck after long periods of use. :lol: 

Other than that I play Skyrim quite a bit and I've never seen any lag issues or anything of that nature.
August 6, 2012 1:12:36 PM

Best answer selected by leifwm.
!