Sign in with
Your question

Getting the most out of EXCEL 2010

Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:48:10 PM

Hello,
I wonder if you can recommend the best pc setup that would maximize EXCEL 2010 performance….I understand this version of excel can utilize up to 1024 threads – meaning processors – so I guess the more CPUS the better…or less CPUs with higher speed? Than more with slower speed as the Xeon e5 series for example?

I wonder what your experience has been with multi-core calculations in this version of Excel? Or even in Excel 2013? There is so little information on the interment on the excel performance benchmarks. I hope you can share some of your experience in multi-threaded Excel calculations on your own computer?
Thanks!

More about : excel 2010

a c 146 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:11:18 PM

dave789 said:
Hello,
I wonder if you can recommend the best pc setup that would maximize EXCEL 2010 performance….I understand this version of excel can utilize up to 1024 threads – meaning processors – so I guess the more CPUS the better…or less CPUs with higher speed? Than more with slower speed as the Xeon e5 series for example?

I wonder what your experience has been with multi-core calculations in this version of Excel? Or even in Excel 2013? There is so little information on the interment on the excel performance benchmarks. I hope you can share some of your experience in multi-threaded Excel calculations on your own computer?
Thanks!

I have never heard of that before and as far as I know any processor can run excel just fine even an old Pentium 4 or Athlon 64.
a c 141 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 11:01:08 PM

Excel 2010 did indeed introduce multi-threaded formula calculations but the option needs to be turned on in advanced settings.
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
December 4, 2012 1:19:36 AM

Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs have AVX extensions that are supposed to improve financial and scientific modelling performance. You can do some research on it to find out more info.
December 5, 2012 8:46:44 PM

thanks)) I wonder with i7 3930k can comment on using 12 threads in excel 2010?
a c 471 à CPUs
December 5, 2012 9:15:53 PM

Depends on what you are doing with Excel. Financial modelling? Statistical modelling?
!