Sign in with
Your question

Uupgrade AMD Athlon 64 3200+ to AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+???

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:49:33 PM

Hello,
My cpu is a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ i do not know what my mother bored is or how to find out, but could it handle a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ as an upgrade?
I have small knowledge when it comes to computers, enough to get by. Please go easy on me

Thanks, Mark

More about : uupgrade amd athlon 3200 amd athlon 6000

a c 129 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 3, 2012 9:20:26 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Here's how to find out about your computer's hardware http://www.piriform.com/speccy which may just tell you more than you'll want to know
Your motherboard has an accompanying list of CPU's it will support which is found on the manufacturers support site (usually). That information would be critical here since one CPU is single core and the other dual. The swap should physically work, motherboard compatability could be an issue though.
Hope it helps some
a c 154 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 3, 2012 9:21:09 PM

Mark_Boam said:
Hello,
My cpu is a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ i do not know what my mother bored is or how to find out, but could it handle a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ as an upgrade?
I have small knowledge when it comes to computers, enough to get by. Please go easy on me

Thanks, Mark

There is no way of answering that without knowing the motherboard model. I'm guessing this is an old OEM computer and OEM's are very limited as to what CPU's will work with thier motherboard. Download CPU-Z and it will tell you everything about your CPU and motherbord.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:39:10 PM

Or you could download CPU-Z and tell us your CPU socket and motherboard model.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:43:40 PM

I just searched up your sockets for you, friend - the Athlon X2 6000+ uses AM2, while your current 3200+ uses 939 - so you'll have to replace your motherboard :/ 
EDIT: MY APOLOGIES. I apparently read the wrong link - it could vary between AM2 and 939, you're gonna have to check with CPU-Z, sorry >.<
December 3, 2012 9:51:40 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, ill take all the info you've given and try and find something more suitable.

Mark
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:53:00 PM

Good luck Mark, and hopefully you can get a 6000+ - it's a great processor for its time, if you can get it going with your current system, I really hope you can enjoy it!
!