Processor and Power Supply?

ColdMace833

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hello, I just recently brought a AMD 6-core CPU and after installing it my computer would not start at all. Not even the power or harddrive would go on. The old CPU works fine when I put it back in. I checked my motherboard manual, and the processor I brought is listed as being compatible down to every specification. I don't know what the problem could be other than the power supply. I know that for hardware such a graphics card the PSU is of concern, but from my research on the internet I can't discern if its the same for a CPU. Does a CPU require a certain amount of power to run like a graphics card would?

The CPU I'm trying to install is a AMD Phenom Six Core

My PSU is 400W

I currently have installed on the computer a Nvidia Geforce 520 GT

What motherboard do you have? Have you checked to see if there are any BIOS updates/flashes? Did you bend or break any pins on the CPU die? Lastly what is the TDP of the new Phenom II and what is the max TDP of your motherboard?

ColdMace833

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I cant find that information for you, sorry. My computer is a HP purchased from a Staples. HP provided me the motherboard specifications in materials that came with the computer and there not that explicit. However it does list all compatible CPUs for the motherboard which I checked before I brought one of them listed. The CPU is fine and completely intact as is the socket. As for the Bios, I don't think I should try to download any updates or versions as I believe that could be fatal for the computer because my system came with Windows installed to work with the hardware as is. So for the sake of troubleshooting I believe it could be the power supply. There are no exact requirements that I can find but I do here that it takes some power supply. Is it possible that the Graphics card which consumes 350W power from my 400 Power supply is the problem as it leaves only a small amount for other functions. Is hardware power usage cumulative and maybe its the reason that the CPU cannot turn on?