Your question

Processor and Power Supply?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Power Supplies
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2012 8:55:12 PM

Hello, I just recently brought a AMD 6-core CPU and after installing it my computer would not start at all. Not even the power or harddrive would go on. The old CPU works fine when I put it back in. I checked my motherboard manual, and the processor I brought is listed as being compatible down to every specification. I don't know what the problem could be other than the power supply. I know that for hardware such a graphics card the PSU is of concern, but from my research on the internet I can't discern if its the same for a CPU. Does a CPU require a certain amount of power to run like a graphics card would?

The CPU I'm trying to install is a AMD Phenom Six Core

My PSU is 400W

I currently have installed on the computer a Nvidia Geforce 520 GT

More about : processor power supply

a c 154 à CPUs
December 3, 2012 9:05:05 PM

ColdMace833 said:
Hello, I just recently brought a AMD 6-core CPU and after installing it my computer would not start at all. Not even the power or harddrive would go on. The old CPU works fine when I put it back in. I checked my motherboard manual, and the processor I brought is listed as being compatible down to every specification. I don't know what the problem could be other than the power supply. I know that for hardware such a graphics card the PSU is of concern, but from my research on the internet I can't discern if its the same for a CPU. Does a CPU require a certain amount of power to run like a graphics card would?

The CPU I'm trying to install is a AMD Phenom Six Core

My PSU is 400W

I currently have installed on the computer a Nvidia Geforce 520 GT

What motherboard do you have? Have you checked to see if there are any BIOS updates/flashes? Did you bend or break any pins on the CPU die? Lastly what is the TDP of the new Phenom II and what is the max TDP of your motherboard?
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:14:38 PM

I cant find that information for you, sorry. My computer is a HP purchased from a Staples. HP provided me the motherboard specifications in materials that came with the computer and there not that explicit. However it does list all compatible CPUs for the motherboard which I checked before I brought one of them listed. The CPU is fine and completely intact as is the socket. As for the Bios, I don't think I should try to download any updates or versions as I believe that could be fatal for the computer because my system came with Windows installed to work with the hardware as is. So for the sake of troubleshooting I believe it could be the power supply. There are no exact requirements that I can find but I do here that it takes some power supply. Is it possible that the Graphics card which consumes 350W power from my 400 Power supply is the problem as it leaves only a small amount for other functions. Is hardware power usage cumulative and maybe its the reason that the CPU cannot turn on?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
December 3, 2012 11:47:38 PM

Hi :) 

Its much more likely to be the motherboard UNABLE to support the 6 core...

We NEED THE MOTHERBOARD NUMBER and WHICH 6 CORE CPU???

Then we can help ...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
!