Sign in with
Your question

New Multi Use System

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2012 9:18:20 PM

Times changing now I need to start looking into building a new system to run multilevel security systems(surveillance and motion detection with cellular dialing) , remote accessible data server for when I travel I can access my files and check the surveillance, and play games like diablo 3, and skyrim. Here is my current system which is 90% used

ASUS P5N-D
Core2 Quad-q8200
Geminll s524( love this cooling setup)
2x seagate barracuda LP 250gb on RAID 1 (boot, games, applications)
2x seagate barracuda LP 1.5TB on RAID 1 (DVR storage, movies, pictures, downloads, etc)
Geforce-GT 240 512mb
8gbs OCZ Fatal DDR2 6400
PCI-E usb 3.0/eSATA interface card
Coolmax 650w
Front pannel multi card reader for photo processing.
Case- ATX, Long Story bought in 1998 at the end of the pentium 2 era but beginning of front side usb.
Windows XP64 bit

What I was thinking
ASUS P8Z77-V
Processor: unsure i5 3570k or i7 3770k
Same Geminll s524
Storage:2 velociraptor WD2500HHTZ sata 6gbps raid 1(boot, games, applications) my current 1.5tbs on RAID1 along with 2 WD30EZRSDTL (WD 3tb sata2) RAID 1.
GTX-480 1GB
16GB CORSAIR XMS ddr3-1600
1000 watt power supply of some sort
Windows 7 ultimate 64
Same case

What do you think. Im open to criticism :) 
Keep in mind like my current system, my new system will be on 24/7 if that helps

More about : multi system

July 22, 2012 11:34:08 PM

What is your budget?
July 22, 2012 11:49:06 PM

Personally, rather than the velociraptors, I'd get 2 more 1.5 tb Seagates then put em RAID 10 (1+0), performance and peace of mind.

Also, why the 480? I'd try for the 7850, lower power consumption, noise, and heat. Also, a 1000W PSU isn't really necessary, even for the 480, a 620W is fine. If you changed the 480 to a 7850 and got a 500W PSU, you'd be good to go. Also, do you need 16 gigs of RAM; I'm not sure how much surveillance uses, but for gaming at least you don't need it.

I'd get a new case, USB 3.0 is a pleasure to have on the front :) 
Related resources
July 22, 2012 11:49:24 PM

no ssd? Do you really need to RAID your OS/Apps drive?

Running on a single ssd would be faster imho. If you are paranoid of your OS setup, take a backup image (stored onto your RAIDed data drives).

There are also fancy new cases with stuff like hot-swappable access and things of that nature as well as run cooler and quieter.
The case design and layout of the components is also completely different and "improved" since 1998. powersupplies all at the bottom now and modular PSUs are all the rage. lots of cleaner wire management as well quicker access to your stuff. Somethign to look into

If you are going to go through the trouble with a new build, it is not necessarily but some people will enjoy the new features of the new cases.
July 23, 2012 3:30:32 AM

Budget is more or less I see I buy, ive been that way for 18 years when it comes to computer builds, as far as the 16gb of ram, yes it is used because the security system is both like a complex desktop application and browser at the same time especially when I am monitoring the house, my dads business, and the family farm. I barely can use my system now with 8gbs while everything is running. The reason for having the velociraptors instead of SSD is because the system is always on kind of like an enterprise work station so that I have piece of mind when I have basically to identical hard drives. as far as the 1.5tbs I do like the Idea of having 4 on raid 1+0 for speed and reliability which I will take that into consideration. I will look at a 750 watt coolmax power supply instead of the 1k. As far as the video card, I only mentioned gtx480 cause it is better than mine but its not too extreme. How would dual gtx 580s on SLI sound for gaming. I am not an ATI/AMD fan much. A lot of my friends are and I have had bad experiences with AMD in the l 90s starting with the AM486, k5, k6, and in 2001 the athlon XP. The case is a time capsule I must say. I will keep it forever and outfit the new build in it I have all the stickers from the prior cpus, P2, P3, P4 non HT, and core 2 quad which is what is in it now. I still have the iomega zip250 in it and replaced the floppy drive with a multi card reader. I love xp64 bit, it boots fast and it runs my surveillance programs great.
July 23, 2012 3:48:39 AM

well, seems like you made up your mind already so go for what you want if you're not considering any alternatives...

If you can, avoid SLI if there is a similarly priced single card alternative. Both for power as well as driver reasons. There is more complexity in SLI, and always people complain about this game or that not performing right under SLI, and updated drivers fix those issues lag behind the single card options.
July 23, 2012 4:17:24 AM

seabass1858 said:
Budget is more or less I see I buy, ive been that way for 18 years when it comes to computer builds, as far as the 16gb of ram, yes it is used because the security system is both like a complex desktop application and browser at the same time especially when I am monitoring the house, my dads business, and the family farm. I barely can use my system now with 8gbs while everything is running. The reason for having the velociraptors instead of SSD is because the system is always on kind of like an enterprise work station so that I have piece of mind when I have basically to identical hard drives. as far as the 1.5tbs I do like the Idea of having 4 on raid 1+0 for speed and reliability which I will take that into consideration. I will look at a 750 watt coolmax power supply instead of the 1k. As far as the video card, I only mentioned gtx480 cause it is better than mine but its not too extreme. How would dual gtx 580s on SLI sound for gaming. I am not an ATI/AMD fan much. A lot of my friends are and I have had bad experiences with AMD in the l 90s starting with the AM486, k5, k6, and in 2001 the athlon XP. The case is a time capsule I must say. I will keep it forever and outfit the new build in it I have all the stickers from the prior cpus, P2, P3, P4 non HT, and core 2 quad which is what is in it now. I still have the iomega zip250 in it and replaced the floppy drive with a multi card reader. I love xp64 bit, it boots fast and it runs my surveillance programs great.

Wow, must have a job that pays pretty well then. College years are slow and boring :sleep:  I need a part time job or something. Sadly, no opportunities :??: 

Oh well, on to your build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cNsc

I believe this would be a great build. It'll allow you to perform all those tasks you want to do at reasonable speeds. It also allows for fairly hefty gaming if you ever feel the need. I added the Crucial SSD for it's speed and reliability. These drives are highly reliable and fast. You rarely hear about any problems at all with these drives. 256gb should be plenty of space for the SSD. I also added in a 1.5tb seagate drive. No need for a velociraptor. If you want more speed, grab another 1.5tb seagate and RAID them for both speed and reliability. I think that would be a 1+0 RAID configuration. Not positive though.

The Noctua heatsink fan is one of the best performance coolers on the market. It's also fairly quiet. You'll want to make sure you get RAM without tall heatspreaders such as that I recommended (gskill sniper). Otherwise, you may run into clearance issues when installing the Noctua cooler. That cooler is bulky :D 

I added in the 3770k for it's hyperthreading ability...just so you'll have that extra CPU power if you need it. I'd definitely recommend you give this CPU a modest overclock of around 4.2GHz. That should give you all the power you'll need.

I would also recommend that you get Windows 7. It's both fast and fluid, and the SSD with help with that speed and fluidity.

For the PSU, I'd go with a Corsair HX750. It's modular, efficient, and strong enough to run your system and then some. :) 

You said you already have a case. I'd recommend you look into getting a new one for both aesthetic reasons as well as air flow and cable management. If you want recommendations, feel free to ask.

Good luck! :) 

[Edit]
Forgot to mention... that old geminii cpu cooler you're using, you'll definitely want to replace it with the noctua I recommended. The ivy bridge CPUs tend to run hot.

Once again, good luck!
July 23, 2012 9:43:06 AM

what about the saber tooth z77 asus MB or biostar TZ77XE3 which seems like it has many features and great reviews. I had 1 biostar board t41HD and used it for my wifes core2-duo 3.5 years ago and has been flawless ever since. It even functioned in 110 degree Georgia heat when our central air went out. I put 2x 250gb sata western digitals and a g-force gs7200 on it.
July 23, 2012 6:00:04 PM

seabass1858 said:
what about the saber tooth z77 asus MB or biostar TZ77XE3 which seems like it has many features and great reviews. I had 1 biostar board t41HD and used it for my wifes core2-duo 3.5 years ago and has been flawless ever since. It even functioned in 110 degree Georgia heat when our central air went out. I put 2x 250gb sata western digitals and a g-force gs7200 on it.

The Asus sabertooth z77 board would be great too. Although, is it worth paying another $100+ for only an extra 2 years of warranty? The asrock board has all the features all the other boards have for much less. I'm not sure about biostar boards. Never really had much experience with 'em. I think they offer decent mATX boards and low budget stuff. From the sound of your experience in Georgia, they are also durable, lol. I don't think of any of those boards would be a complete no no, per se. I'll see if I can find you some links.

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ah, just noticed why the biostars are cheaper. They don't natively support PCI express 3.0 x16. You could run into bandwidth issues if you try running GPUs (that support it. which in this case is the gtx 670) in a two way configuration. You wouldn't have any issues if you only run one card, but if you plan on upgrading and running a SLI config, potential limitations may arise.

Here's biostar's best z77 board currently...

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

I'd still recommend you go with either the ASRock z77 extreme4 or the sabertooth....just for peace of mind and ability to upgrade in the future.
July 23, 2012 6:17:15 PM

im more leaning toward the p8z77 LK now because of the SLI which after research I would like to setup in the future

There are even some z75chipset boards (if i didnt have any plans for SLI in the future and the fact that I dont over clock) that I wouldnt mind taking a second look at like the ASRock B75 PRO3 because of the 3 sata6
July 23, 2012 7:53:59 PM

The p8z77 lk would be a good board too. It would be a waste to get a chip with unlocked multipliers and not overclock it. It'd be nice to have the option at hand though...just in case you ever did need it. I'd either go with the ASRock or the p8z77 lk. Those are some great boards. I'd stay away from the z75 and b75 boards.
July 23, 2012 8:23:24 PM

Corsair Obsidian 650D case, P8Z77 LK, gtx 560, core i5 3750k, 16gb CORSAIR XMS, 2 sata 300gb 6gbs velociraptor 10k 64mb cashe on raid 1, 4 sata 3gbs 1.5tb seagates on raid 1+0, geminll s524(currently on my core 2 quad bought 4 months ago for future build) at least it has a ps2 port for my keyboard. My keyboard is an old IBM Model clicky from 1984. my dad used it and laughs when he sees it at my house still in use. I picked it out of his junk in 1994 when he was throwing out old ibm 386 desktops 33mhz an d been using it since. I also took the 386s as relics. Yes I am a computer hoarder.
July 24, 2012 12:04:41 AM

seabass1858 said:
Corsair Obsidian 650D case, P8Z77 LK, gtx 560, core i5 3750k, 16gb CORSAIR XMS, 2 sata 300gb 6gbs velociraptor 10k 64mb cashe on raid 1, 4 sata 3gbs 1.5tb seagates on raid 1+0, geminll s524(currently on my core 2 quad bought 4 months ago for future build) at least it has a ps2 port for my keyboard. My keyboard is an old IBM Model clicky from 1984. my dad used it and laughs when he sees it at my house still in use. I picked it out of his junk in 1994 when he was throwing out old ibm 386 desktops 33mhz an d been using it since. I also took the 386s as relics. Yes I am a computer hoarder.

lol, if it works, why not? Looks like you made some good choices.
July 24, 2012 12:33:05 AM

what is your opinion on the geminll s524
July 24, 2012 1:08:21 AM

According to the reviews, it's a solid cooler. I've never used them before. I've only dealt with hyper 212 coolers and the noctua coolers. I know ivy bridge CPUs get hot, that's the only reason why I recommended the noctua. If you're not going to be doing high overclocking, go with the geminii. If you plan on giving your CPU a modest overclock at around 4.5GHz grab either the hyper 212 evo or the noctua nh-d14.
July 24, 2012 2:16:12 AM

I could add a PFB1212UHE on the geminll 5500rpms. I have a few from old unix servers. they were the kind of servers that were in a room people rarely went in unless they need serviced lol.
July 24, 2012 11:45:31 AM

I narrowed it down to ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and ASUS p8z77 LK
!